adityakas

Raspberry Pi + WebRTC

Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:03 pm

Hi Everyone,

I've been eager to get WebRTC running on a Raspberry Pi and was wondering whether anyone has had much luck?
I had a good play with the camera module when it was released last March but have since fallen a bit out of touch with progress.

Thanks in advance!

Adi

slowbadger

Re: Raspberry Pi + WebRTC

Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:23 pm

Hey Adi!

I am also looking into WebRTC. As far as I can tell the hardware should be able to make a video call in theory but I am a little lost on interacting with the GPU.

I did have a thought on linking two Pis so you could encode the video on one and decode on another to free up some more power but I am not sure how feasible would be. Has anyone else got any experience in trying this?

gregd72002_

Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:17 am

Before I start to reinvent the wheel, anyone got some progress on this?

Looking to get camera live streaming from RPi to a PC using WebRTC for my project

https://github.com/rpicopter/AvrMiniCopter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyR4wM2C4sA

sauravkp

Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:36 am

Guys,
I am also looking for the exact same thing. I have started playing with raspberry pi some time back and I have a fair idea about it now.
I am professionally a web guy with fair amount of knowledge of linux. I also have working experience of webrtc. I was thinking of taking an initiative to create something (either port an advanced browser like mozilla or create a native webrtc client on pi itself). My goal is to integrate webrtc with either raspbian or xbmc so that I can have a direct video chat from my TV itself.

Any takers for a project of such kind? If something is already available to start with , Please share.

Many thanks.

gregd72002_

Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:55 am

Hi, I can only say I had some success with janus-gateway. It did stream well but some more tweaking was needed for which I did not have time. Look for the project issue list titled 'h264'.

emmynet

Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:26 am

youtube-channel: emmynet
blog: emmanuelgranatello.blogspot.com

sauravkp

Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:35 am

Thanks for the reply.
OpenwebRTC is not yet ready for real world webrtc implementation . WebRTC in itself is no big deal who knows basic java script.The toughest part is signalling. I am currently working on it. The problem I am facing is that I am not able to install latest version of mozilla firefox on Raspberry Pi. The day I can do that all my problems will be solved.I tried the demo openwebrtc website and it didn't worked with safari on my mac but it worked on firefox. Therefore, I am trying to create a super lightweight cross compiled linux distro like Arch Linux on top of which I will be installing an WebRTC capable browser.

fruitoftheloom

Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:57 am

sauravkp wrote:Thanks for the reply.
OpenwebRTC is not yet ready for real world webrtc implementation . WebRTC in itself is no big deal who knows basic java script.The toughest part is signalling. I am currently working on it. The problem I am facing is that I am not able to install latest version of mozilla firefox on Raspberry Pi. The day I can do that all my problems will be solved.I tried the demo openwebrtc website and it didn't worked with safari on my mac but it worked on firefox. Therefore, I am trying to create a super lightweight cross compiled linux distro like Arch Linux on top of which I will be installing an WebRTC capable browser.
"mozilla firefox on Raspberry Pi." not feasible whatsoever, yes I am being pedantic :roll:

Actually Firefox version 35.0.1 is in Arch Linux Arm repository which is the latest release, have you actually tried this ?

IceWeasel 31.4.0 ESR (Firefox 31 ESR) is in Raspbian Wheezy (Firefox 38 ESR is released around June), yes Ice is based on Extended Support Releases.

Unfortunately in general many add-ons and extensions will not imlement when the Browser is compiled for ARMHF
Retired disgracefully.....

towolf

Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:32 pm

Got a simple demo working. Posted description in other thread.

Now to strip down the demo to remove extraneous HTML from Janus default page.

RpiName

Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:12 pm

adityakas wrote:I've been eager to get WebRTC running on a Raspberry Pi and was wondering whether anyone has had much luck?
See UV4L for various solutions based on WebRTC, two-way realtime p2p audio + video (video is rendered on the pi display, audio rendered on the speakers), streaming to cloud (Jitsi Meet), HD *hardware* encoding/decoding H264, VP8, VP9, upcoming Janus support and many other things. Web and/or command line driven, no configuration required, no browser necessary on the pi.

http://linux-projects.org

Return to “General discussion”