boelle

new to pi and missing a few basic features

Wed May 01, 2013 12:03 pm

Hi, i more or less have the pi as my desktop "pc", thou i miss a few things i could not find a guide on that was successfull. I will list them in order of importantness:

1. Java.. without netbanking etc do not work. I use midori for browsing but can be talked in to something else if java works better.

2. Flash... many sites relies on it for not only graphics stuff but also something like calcing how much paint you need for a room etc.

Stuff like libra office and vnc viewer i got in place... so its mainly the 2 above... as for java its not only aplets on websites but also programs written in java. mainly i will be using an ide for arduino and picaxe

if i sould add something it would be help or a guide to slim down the install while still keeping the desktop. I have a sence that there are lot of things installed that i dont need and that are slowing things down

/bo

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: new to pi and missing a few basic features

Wed May 01, 2013 1:25 pm

Java is available, but flash isn't and never will, as adobe doesn't support it on this platform.
Although its rumored it works when installing the google chrome browser, albeit very slow.
There is also an open source remake, of flash, but it is also slow and only supports older flash code.

boelle

Wed May 01, 2013 1:59 pm

ok... java is also the most important one for me...

but of all the guides i have read none of them have worked... ie website aplets does not start and when i test if java is installed it says none... next problem will be that it has to be the newest java or else my bank will just kick me to sun and ask to install newest...

/bo

boelle

Fri May 03, 2013 6:43 pm

are there any os for the pi that comes with java that works out the box and have a grapgical desktop?

nemo096

Fri May 03, 2013 7:43 pm

as a side note - chromium browser I quite like - version of google chrome. I am not sure if java would work better - give it a shot - i find it better than Midori

install it with
sudo apt-get install chromium-browser

boelle

Fri May 03, 2013 8:32 pm

i have tried that....

the main problem is installing java... many guides etc etc.... but none of it have given me any success....

ie websites that uses java for login etc says i do not have java installed

boelle

Sat May 04, 2013 2:34 am

anyone that knows a combo of browser and java that works? and can tell how to do it so it works?

ghans

Sat May 04, 2013 7:50 am

Try to uninstall everything java-related first , then

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install iceweasel icedtea-7-plugin
But i don't guarantee anything.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

boelle

Sat May 04, 2013 1:15 pm

that one worked right out the box.... thanks a bunch

now i just need to figure how to remove all the unneeded packages without criple it down to where i cant get to desktop and apt get is not working...

anyone that can suggest a good guide or have a list of the minimal packages needed to have the default desktop running?

boelle

Sun May 05, 2013 12:41 pm

i spoke to soon... while the aplet is started it kinds of freeze.

the aplet is used to ident who i am. i enter what in the us would be my Social security number and then a password, i whould then be asked for a one time use key. it ask for the 2 first and then stuck...

and then a small thing i have yet to google... it has stop booting to desktop automatic.. i can do a startx x but in raspi-config i can set it to boot directly yo desktop, but it only boots to login prompt...

could i have removed something wrong? still trying to slim down and removed what is not needed

Return to “Beginners”