Pylkasc

Portable wireless temperature sensors

Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:37 pm

Hi all,
I have been googling for hours and have thoroughly confused myself about what I need. I am completely new to this and still need to buy my first pi. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

What I am looking for is a way to instantly read at least 2, ideally wireless temp sensors to a hand held screen. I have found this setup

http://projects.privateeyepi.com/home/h ... s-projects

The wireless sensors are exactly what I'm looking for but from what I gather is it needs an internet connection to display the readings. I would like to have just a readout on a display, as there is not wifi where I would be using this.

Thanks for the help

pfletch101

Re: Portable wireless temperature sensors

Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:44 am

There are a lot of temperature/humidity (and other) sensors which report their readings wirelessly on the 433 MHz band. Ambient Weather makes a number of models, but there are others. The transmissions of most of the more common ones can be picked up by means of a Software Controlled radio plugged in to the Pi's USB port and decoded by rtl-433 - a well supported utility program. If what you want is a plug and play solution, Ambient makes those, too.

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”