PeterO

Screen blanks when clock updates

Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:47 am

Shortly after the fist boot of the day the clock is updated via the network . This morning for example the time went from 22:43 10:45.

This triggers the screen save timeout and blanks the screen. It's not a major probelm but it is annoying and kind of looks like a bug.

PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

GlowInTheDark

Re: Screen blanks when clock updates

Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:17 am

It's obviously not a bug and it is obvious what it is doing and why.

Still, it can be a little jarring. No big deal, but are you really actually talking about "the demo effect" - that if you are showing this to non-techy people, they ask "Why does it do that?" and it looks like you have a problem?

Solution might be to not run xscreensaver out of autostart, but rather, launch it manually later on - after you've had a chance to interact with the machine (either via the keyboard or moving the mouse).
GitD's list of things that are not quite ready for prime time:
1) IPv6
2) 64 bit OSes
3) USB 3

PeterO

Re: Screen blanks when clock updates

Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:26 am

GlowInTheDark wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:17 am
It's obviously not a bug and it is obvious what it is doing and why.
As I explained at length.....
Still, it can be a little jarring. No big deal, but are you really actually talking about "the demo effect" - that if you are showing this to non-techy people, they ask "Why does it do that?" and it looks like you have a problem?
No, it's annoying ME!
Solution might be to not run xscreensaver out of autostart, but rather, launch it manually later on - after you've had a chance to interact with the machine (either via the keyboard or moving the mouse).
The screen saver has a timeout setting that says "Blank After 10 minutes". So when it to go blank 20 seconds after it boots it looks like a bug to me ! I know why it is doing what it does, but it's not the expected behaviour.

If it's regularly checking the clock time to be 10 minutes after the last activity then it could easily spot the clock being advanced and recalculate the time at which the screen should be blanked.

PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

Return to “Raspbian”