tardich
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:31 am

Raspbian Buster Lite (09/2019) reporting wrong CPU for RaspberryPi4

Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:52 am

Hi,

I just downloaded Raspbian Buster Lite (September 2019) and burned the image on my 4 RaspberryPi4B. Booting without issue. Well, almost no issue, except the fact that it reports the wrong CPU. See:

Code: Select all

cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
model name      : ARMv7 Processor rev 3 (v7l)
BogoMIPS        : 108.00
Features        : half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3 tls vfpv4 idiva idivt vfpd32 lpae evtstrm crc32
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant     : 0x0
CPU part        : 0xd08
CPU revision    : 3

processor       : 1
model name      : ARMv7 Processor rev 3 (v7l)
BogoMIPS        : 108.00
Features        : half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3 tls vfpv4 idiva idivt vfpd32 lpae evtstrm crc32
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant     : 0x0
CPU part        : 0xd08
CPU revision    : 3

processor       : 2
model name      : ARMv7 Processor rev 3 (v7l)
BogoMIPS        : 108.00
Features        : half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3 tls vfpv4 idiva idivt vfpd32 lpae evtstrm crc32
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant     : 0x0
CPU part        : 0xd08
CPU revision    : 3

processor       : 3
model name      : ARMv7 Processor rev 3 (v7l)
BogoMIPS        : 108.00
Features        : half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3 tls vfpv4 idiva idivt vfpd32 lpae evtstrm crc32
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant     : 0x0
CPU part        : 0xd08
CPU revision    : 3

Hardware        : BCM2835
Revision        : b03111
Serial          : 10000000ed5b2454
Model           : Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.1
It reports being a Raspberry Pi4B, which is good, but also a BCM2835, which was the first generation of RaspberryPi (ARM11). It should rather report as a BCM2711.

This causes issues like, for example, when using these boards as part of a Kubernetes cluster. Docker images that are strictly supporting arm64 do not work, as the boards reports as a armhf architecture, which is wrong. I was using an os based on Gentoo on these boards some weeks ago, and they were reporting as a arm64 architecture. :shock:

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 21419
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: Raspbian Buster Lite (09/2019) reporting wrong CPU for RaspberryPi4

Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:08 am

tardich wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:52 am
Hi,

I just downloaded Raspbian Buster Lite (September 2019) and burned the image on my 4 RaspberryPi4B. Booting without issue. Well, almost no issue, except the fact that it reports the wrong CPU. See:

Code: Select all

cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
model name      : ARMv7 Processor rev 3 (v7l)
BogoMIPS        : 108.00
Features        : half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3 tls vfpv4 idiva idivt vfpd32 lpae evtstrm crc32
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant     : 0x0
CPU part        : 0xd08
CPU revision    : 3

processor       : 1
model name      : ARMv7 Processor rev 3 (v7l)
BogoMIPS        : 108.00
Features        : half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3 tls vfpv4 idiva idivt vfpd32 lpae evtstrm crc32
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant     : 0x0
CPU part        : 0xd08
CPU revision    : 3

processor       : 2
model name      : ARMv7 Processor rev 3 (v7l)
BogoMIPS        : 108.00
Features        : half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3 tls vfpv4 idiva idivt vfpd32 lpae evtstrm crc32
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant     : 0x0
CPU part        : 0xd08
CPU revision    : 3

processor       : 3
model name      : ARMv7 Processor rev 3 (v7l)
BogoMIPS        : 108.00
Features        : half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3 tls vfpv4 idiva idivt vfpd32 lpae evtstrm crc32
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant     : 0x0
CPU part        : 0xd08
CPU revision    : 3

Hardware        : BCM2835
Revision        : b03111
Serial          : 10000000ed5b2454
Model           : Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.1
It reports being a Raspberry Pi4B, which is good, but also a BCM2835, which was the first generation of RaspberryPi (ARM11). It should rather report as a BCM2711.

This causes issues like, for example, when using these boards as part of a Kubernetes cluster. Docker images that are strictly supporting arm64 do not work, as the boards reports as a armhf architecture, which is wrong. I was using an os based on Gentoo on these boards some weeks ago, and they were reporting as a arm64 architecture. :shock:

This has been discussed ad-infinitum, please see:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... /README.md
Retired disgracefully.....
......to a more gentile life !

tardich
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:31 am

Re: Raspbian Buster Lite (09/2019) reporting wrong CPU for RaspberryPi4

Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:28 pm

OK but, that said, the OS utilizes armhf packages and reports an armv7 architecture to kubernetes, which turn the Pi4 incompatible with many docker images that are arm64. That’s a pitty...

trejan
Posts: 1106
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:28 pm

Re: Raspbian Buster Lite (09/2019) reporting wrong CPU for RaspberryPi4

Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:33 pm

tardich wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:28 pm
OK but, that said, the OS utilizes armhf packages and reports an armv7 architecture to kubernetes, which turn the Pi4 incompatible with many docker images that are arm64. That’s a pitty...
It reports ARMv7 because it is a 32-bit kernel. You need to run the 64 bit kernel if you want AArch64 support. All of userland is still 32-bit though. If you want 64-bit kernel + userland then you'll need to run something else like Ubuntu Server or Sakaki's 64-bit Gentoo build.

If you want the 64-bit kernel on Raspbian then add arm_64bit=1 to the end of /boot/config.txt and reboot.

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 21419
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: Raspbian Buster Lite (09/2019) reporting wrong CPU for RaspberryPi4

Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:10 pm

tardich wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:28 pm
OK but, that said, the OS utilizes armhf packages and reports an armv7 architecture to kubernetes, which turn the Pi4 incompatible with many docker images that are arm64. That’s a pitty...

Raspbian is ARM32 ARMHF, and as has always been that way over 4 releases, there are several ARM64 Operating Systems:

Gentoo
Arch
DebianPi64
Ubuntu
etal

...though only Raspbian is fully supported by Raspberry Pi Trading / Foundation.
Retired disgracefully.....
......to a more gentile life !

tardich
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:31 am

Re: Raspbian Buster Lite (09/2019) reporting wrong CPU for RaspberryPi4

Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:55 pm

That's WRONG !!!

RaspberryPi4B is a full 64bits, not a armhf processor. Directly from RaspberryPi site:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/ra ... fications/

As for RaspberryPi3A+:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/ra ... el-a-plus/

Previous models, like the RaspberryPi2b are armv7 (or armhf) processors. These are not really 64-bit processors.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/ra ... 2-model-b/

If you look at the arm processor chart, you'll find out that armv7 are 32-bit processors, while armv8 are 64-bit processors:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compariso ... v7-A_cores

tardich
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:31 am

Re: Raspbian Buster Lite (09/2019) reporting wrong CPU for RaspberryPi4

Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:57 pm

Thanks trejan for the info. That's a valuable one. Guess I'll have to use some other OS as I need to have 64-bit in userland.

dickon
Posts: 651
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:54 pm
Location: Home, just outside Reading

Re: Raspbian Buster Lite (09/2019) reporting wrong CPU for RaspberryPi4

Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:57 pm

Yes, but when running a 32b kernel, it reports as a 32b CPU. Run the 64b kernel. You'll find it then reports

Code: Select all

Linux raspberrypi 4.19.75-v8+ #1270 SMP PREEMPT Tue Sep 24 18:59:17 BST 2019 aarch64 GNU/Linux
from uname -a, but still claims to be a BCM2835 in /proc/cpuinfo.

hippy
Posts: 6558
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: UK

Re: Raspbian Buster Lite (09/2019) reporting wrong CPU for RaspberryPi4

Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:31 pm

tardich wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:52 am
It reports being a Raspberry Pi4B, which is good, but also a BCM2835, which was the first generation of RaspberryPi (ARM11). It should rather report as a BCM2711.
Confusion over the "wrong CPU" being reported for Pi boards has been around for a long time and will continue to cause confusion and posts on the matter until Linux stops insisting on it being that way, the Foundation chooses to patch things to change the situation, or there is a change in human response to being confused.

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 21419
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: Raspbian Buster Lite (09/2019) reporting wrong CPU for RaspberryPi4

Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:19 pm

tardich wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:55 pm
That's WRONG !!!

RaspberryPi4B is a full 64bits, not a armhf processor. Directly from RaspberryPi site:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/ra ... fications/

As for RaspberryPi3A+:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/ra ... el-a-plus/

Previous models, like the RaspberryPi2b are armv7 (or armhf) processors. These are not really 64-bit processors.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/ra ... 2-model-b/

If you look at the arm processor chart, you'll find out that armv7 are 32-bit processors, while armv8 are 64-bit processors:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compariso ... v7-A_cores

Thank you for a totally irrelevant response, you are confusing the issue, ARMHF & ARM64 refer to the version of Operating System not the CPU:

https://wiki.debian.org/ArmHardFloatPort

https://wiki.debian.org/Arm64Port
Retired disgracefully.....
......to a more gentile life !

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 24697
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Raspbian Buster Lite (09/2019) reporting wrong CPU for RaspberryPi4

Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:08 pm

hippy wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:31 pm
tardich wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:52 am
It reports being a Raspberry Pi4B, which is good, but also a BCM2835, which was the first generation of RaspberryPi (ARM11). It should rather report as a BCM2711.
Confusion over the "wrong CPU" being reported for Pi boards has been around for a long time and will continue to cause confusion and posts on the matter until Linux stops insisting on it being that way, the Foundation chooses to patch things to change the situation, or there is a change in human response to being confused.
Indeed it has, and I still have no idea why the upstream devs insist this is the case, because it's clearly nonsense. We don't patch it ourselves, because it just another maintenance burden as every time we update to a new kernel, it's just another patch to pull across and perhaps update to merge correctly. It's why moving to more upstream code is a good thing. Except in this case!!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

Return to “Raspbian”