SumpS

Raspi config/ overscan problems please help !!

Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:28 pm

Hello everyone, new member here so please bear with me! Although I’m new to the forums I have had some experience with Raspberry pi but now I have a handheld Raspberry pi 3b and I’m having issues because the screen position is too far to the right and cut off.
I have read the info and seen the videos online about overscan and found my way to the raspi config.txt file and the overscan settings.
The problem I’m having is that when I change the value for the right hand side of the screen to ‘bring it in’ so to speak this then changes the screen at the top and cuts it off even tho I didn’t change that value at all? Been round and round in circles with this and would love one of you wonderfully brainy and experienced people to be able to help me as it’s really annoying on the handheld screen.
Any other info you would like me to provide to assist I’d be happy to.
Thanks for listening and hope to hear from someone soon :)

SumpS

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Raspi config/ overscan problems please help !!

Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:05 pm

SumpS wrote:
Hello everyone, new member here so please bear with me! Although I’m new to the forums I have had some experience with Raspberry pi but now I have a handheld Raspberry pi 3b and I’m having issues because the screen position is too far to the right and cut off.
I have read the info and seen the videos online about overscan and found my way to the raspi config.txt file and the overscan settings.
The problem I’m having is that when I change the value for the right hand side of the screen to ‘bring it in’ so to speak this then changes the screen at the top and cuts it off even tho I didn’t change that value at all? Been round and round in circles with this and would love one of you wonderfully brainy and experienced people to be able to help me as it’s really annoying on the handheld screen.
SumpS
What model and type (ie. how does connect to the Pi) of "handheld screen"? Is it possible that it uses a "rotated" display - that might explain RHS overscan tweaks changing the "top"?
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2) but Buster on the P4B's. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

SumpS

Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:09 am

Here is my config if that is any help?

# 树莓派硬件配置文件
# 以下大部分定义首部均有#号,即被注释无效化,此项按系统默认值处理。所以要自定义需去掉#号

# 禁用过扫描
overscan_scale=1
disable_overscan=0
overscan_scale=1
overscan_left=-12
overscan_right=15
overscan_top=-111
overscan_bottom=-111
# 帧缓冲分辨率,tty的分辨率设置,一般不管。
#framebuffer_width=1280
#framebuffer_height=720

# 强制连接有HDMI设备,即使没有检测到有效的HDMI连接
#hdmi_force_hotplug=1

# HDMI安全模式输出,常用于排查时
#hdmi_safe=1

# HDMI显示组,0为自动,1为家电类CEA组,2为电脑类DMT组
#hdmi_group=0

# HDMI显示模式,根据CEA和DMT组别不同,共定义了147种分辨率。
# 具体见:https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... t/video.md
#hdmi_mode=4
max_usb_current=1
#hdmi_group=2
#hdmi_mode=1
#hdmi_mode=87
#hdmi_cvt 1024 600 60 6 0 0 0

# 自定义HDMI输出;格式:=宽width 高height 帧率framerate 长宽比aspect
#hdmi_cvt=320 240 60 1

# DVI和HDMI状态开关,1为DVI模式,无声;2为HDMI模式
#hdmi_drive=2

# HDMI信号强度,范围0-11,使用山寨五毛线或较长信号线时可适量加大此值
#config_hdmi_boost=5

# HDMI灰度等级 ;0为自动;1为RGB limited (16-235),2为RGB full (0-255),3为YCbCr limited (16-235),
# 4为YCbCr full (0-255)。即1、3电视适用,2、4显示器适用
#hdmi_pixel_encoding=0

# AV输出信号制式,0标准NTSC, 1日本NTSC, 2标准PAL,3巴西PAL60(仅适用模拟视频输出,HDMI无效)
#sdtv_mode=0

# AV输出长宽比,1为4:3,2为14:9,3为16:9(仅适用模拟视频输出,HDMI无效)
#sdtv_aspect=1

# 音频抖动开关,0为禁用抖动,默认为1,抖动开启时会有少许背景白噪声但音质和频响范围更佳,
# 关闭时与之相反。(仅适用模拟音频输出,HDMI无效)
disable_audio_dither=1
# audio_pwm_mode=2
# 关键的设置(不解释,别乱改)
start_x=0
dtparam=i2c_arm=off,i2s=off,spi=off,audio=on
max_usb_current=1
enable_uart=0
gpu_mem=240

# 超频
# 想尝试又不怕失去保修,请参考https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/confi ... locking.md
dtparam=audio=on
display_rotate=3
dtoverlay=mzdpi6
gpio=18=op,dh,pd
#gpio=0-9=a2
#gpio=12-17=a2
#gpio=20-25=a2
framebuffer_width=480
framebuffer_height=320
enable_dpi_lcd=1
display_default_lcd=1
dpi_group=2
dpi_mode=87
dpi_output_format=0x07f006
hdmi_timings=320 0 28 18 28 480 0 2 2 8 0 0 0 60 0 32000000 1

SumpS

Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:09 am

Anything stand out as wrong here?

SumpS

Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:11 am

FTrevorGowen wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:05 pm
SumpS wrote:
SumpS
What model and type (ie. how does connect to the Pi) of "handheld screen"? Is it possible that it uses a "rotated" display - that might explain RHS overscan tweaks changing the "top"?
Trev.
It is a LCL Pi boy Raspberry pi 3b that I purchased online

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:46 am

Being a DPI screen changes a lot of things.

disable_overscan is set by default for DPI and DSI screens.
overscan_[left|right|top|bottom] are clipped to be positive numbers, because negative ones make no sense - they're saying deliberately force the framebuffer off the side of the screen.

Where have you got your hdmi_timings line from? The most likely explanation is that it is incorrect.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

SumpS

Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:50 pm

6by9 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:46 am
Being a DPI screen changes a lot of things.

disable_overscan is set by default for DPI and DSI screens.
overscan_[left|right|top|bottom] are clipped to be positive numbers, because negative ones make no sense - they're saying deliberately force the framebuffer off the side of the screen.

Where have you got your hdmi_timings line from? The most likely explanation is that it is incorrect.
This is the image/ config.txt file I received from the guy that built the handheld unit( hence the Chinese in the file)
Really stuck now :(

6by9

Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:03 pm

Have you got any spec or identifier for the screen? It may be possible to find the necessary timings via Google, but it may be a long shot.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

Return to “Beginners”