BrodyStone21

Pi 4 B Will not boot, no green LED [Solved]

Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:27 am

I recently purchased a Raspberry Pi 4 B 4GB model and it came in today, so I plugged in the class 10 micro SD card that came preloaded with NOOBS and nothing showed up, I then tried editing the config.txt and tried to force HDMI, nothing. So I formatted the SD card and tried just installing Rasbian Lite, also didn't work. I then tried installing Rasbian Desktop once again didn't work. I have so far tried two different monitors and one HDTV all with different resolutions. The latest thing I tried was following this video tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYrGoLbiyj8 however when I plug the Pi in after extracting everything and inserting the SD card my LEDs are not flashing. Do I have a dead board if not how do I fix this? If I do have a dead board how do I get a replacement?

Edit: Turns out I was using a fan and inserting it into the wrong GPIO pins, if anyone runs into this issue in the future try unplugging the fan and then booting into your OS.
Last edited by BrodyStone21 on Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pcmanbob

Re: Pi 4 B Will not boot, no green LED

Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:09 am

HI.

I suggest you go read the boot problem sticky , it has the combined knowledge of most, if not all, of the problems when booting.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 28&t=58151

look at the last page which is specific to the pi4B

you might also need the info here on recovery

https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/

One thing that has not made it to the boot sticky which might affect your pi4B is one user found that the SD card he was using was not making good contact in the SD card slot so he added a little packing to make it a tighter fit and then it worked just fine.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 8&t=257916
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

BrodyStone21

Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:05 pm

Hello and thank you for the reply, I figured out what the problem was my pi came with a fan and case and I did not correctly install the fan so if I plugged it in before it would boot up it wouldn't boot up at all and then if I rebooted it with it plugged in it wouldn't turn back on. I had to insert the fan into the correct GPO pins. Sorry for being dumb xD thanks for the help though I appreciate it.

pcmanbob

Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:21 pm

May be if you had said you were connecting a fan to the gpio, we might have stood a chance of solving the problem.

If you don't give us all the information we are working at a disadvantage and in the dark.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

BrodyStone21

Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:35 pm

You know, thinking back now, it probably would've been a good idea... I tried at least 5 different installs haha.

Also, this is a little off-topic but do you somehow get notifications here? I just have to go look at my posts and look to see if the number of replies has changed.

andersdk

Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:09 pm

There is a small spanner icon you can click on top or botoom of ths reply window - next to the red button.
Click on the small arrow next to the spanner and select subcribe to topic.
You can do this on every topic you want to follow.

Then you get an email to your registered emal address as notification.
This email contains a quick link to the new reply on the topic(s) you subscribed to.

The mail will also have a quick link to UNsubscribe notifications from the topic.

If you subscribe to several recent topics, you will probably get a ton of notifications in your inbox.
Thats how you learn ...

BrodyStone21

Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:58 pm

Awesome! Thank you for the help I appreciate it. Also, am I supposed to somehow close a thread when it has been solved?

davidcoton

Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:18 pm

BrodyStone21 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:58 pm
... am I supposed to somehow close a thread when it has been solved?
You can close the thread by editing your OP and adding "[Solved]" to the title.
It won't prevent further posts, but should indicate that there is no outstanding issue.
(If you feel it should be locked, report your own post and ask a Moderator to lock it. Not sure what the policy is, threads are normally only locked when they get acrimonious or when necro'ed after some years.)
Signature retired

BrodyStone21

Re: Pi 4 B Will not boot, no green LED [Solved]

Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:20 pm

Already did the [Solved] a couple of hours ago because I wasn't sure, but thank you for the response.

Return to “Troubleshooting”