sanfx

Is it possible to stream TV channels or HDMI from set top box to remote location over internet ?

Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:33 pm

I have recently bought raspberry pi 4, and I want to know if it is possible to stream TV channels or HDMI over the internet to some remote location ?

I have read about Raspberry Pi TV HAT and DVB-T USB ! what is the purpose of each exactly ?

cpc464

Re: Is it possible to stream TV channels or HDMI from set top box to remote location over internet ?

Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:38 pm

Yes it is possible, but I haven't yet found a way of doing it securely. So it is not advisable.

I use a Pi 2 with OSMC and TVHeadend to watch TV, and to stream it around my home network. I wrote a procedure for the setup here:

http://unixetc.co.uk/2019/11/22/how-to- ... pberry-pi/

(Pi 4 is not supported yet)

Streaming to other devices on your home network is easy. Streaming to devices remotely over the Internet requires forwarding of two ports on your router. It works fine but is not really secure. I tried using an SSH tunnel and a key. But that method, although secure, is too slow unfortunately.
Unix engineer since 1989

sanfx

Re: Is it possible to stream TV channels or HDMI from set top box to remote location over internet ?

Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:49 pm

I will give it a try but its a long shot since pi I want to use to get the tv channels I want to get from is in a different country.

Return to “Advanced users”