gkreidl

Re: VLC testing

Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:50 am

Gadgetguy wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:38 am
gkreidl wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:39 am
Today I downloaded a video from German TV station "ARD". I was surprised to see that they now offer it in 1080p50 (non-interlaced) resolution. I tried to play it in VLC and only got a black screen (but heard the audio track). The message window shows lots of messages like
mmal_codec error..............
Just revisited this thread. I am using vlc version 3.0.8-0+deb10u1+rpt7 with a gpu allocation of 160. I didn’t add cma=512. I downloaded your video here in Canada and encountered no geo restriction. The video played smoothly, no dropped frames (other than a few at the very beginning or if fast forwarded) even in windowed mode ,low cpu usage~6%,
PS. Digressing for a momentI back to the avidenux thread

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... x#p1591343
I would really recomend you give avidemux a try. I am using version 2.7.4 and as far as I can tell it is frame accurate and does do smart rendering. I have lately been using it a fair bit on the pi for quick correcting of audio sync problems, cutting portions out of videos, and appending videos and it so fast!

Edit:

Edit: I should point out out although I don’think it is relevant to this video that I had done an rpi-update to the Jan 10, 2020 firmware so as to enable vp8 playback in vlc which at least at the time when I did the rpi-update didn’t play in vlc with the stable firmware.
Pi users might be interedted in knowing if they weren’t already aware that the Pi 4 got some vey favourasble mention from an influential source recently ie.:

ExplainingComputers: SBC Video Editing: Raspberry Pi 4 vs Odroid N2 & Jetson Nano

at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRsXiRcaItk
Yesterday I removed cma=512 from the command line and rebooted. Now the video (and a similar one I got yesterday) play fine in VLC.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

beta-tester

Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:52 pm

maybe its a bit off-topic...
i can't play youtube videos in vlc.
i open vlc, press [Ctrl]+[N] and put a link to a youtube video in, then i press play.
but i only see one single frame flashing for a very short time (or maybe it is the picture of the video description), then it stops. the playlist is empty like i never put something in to play.

i opened the console and started vlc and retried... here the output i get:

Code: Select all

pi@raspberry:~ $ vlc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7H4lDi79YY8
VLC media player 3.0.8 Vetinari (revision 3.0.8-0-gf350b6b5a7)
[006adf68] vlcpulse audio output error: PulseAudio server connection failure: Connection refused
[006346c0] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
libEGL warning: DRI2: failed to authenticate
qt5ct: using qt5ct plugin
qt5ct: D-Bus global menu: no
qt5ct: D-Bus system tray: no
[a52856d8] lua stream error: Couldn't extract youtube video URL, please check for updates to this script
[0069e7b8] main playlist: playlist is empty
or

pi@raspberry:~ $ cvlc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7H4lDi79YY8
[004ba288] vlcpulse audio output error: PulseAudio server connection failure: Connection refused
[0049e978] dummy interface: using the dummy interface module...
[b1ff0568] lua stream error: Couldn't extract youtube video URL, please check for updates to this script
[004aa850] main playlist: playlist is empty
i think the main problem is:
"lua stream error: Couldn't extract youtube video URL, please check for updates to this script"
what i am doing wrong?
how can i update the script?
do i have to install something else before i can use vlc and youtube videos?
{ I only give negative feedback }
RPi B (256MB), B (512MB), B+, ZeroW; 2B; 3B, 3B+; 4B (4GB)

gkreidl

Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:19 am

beta-tester wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:52 pm
maybe its a bit off-topic...
i can't play youtube videos in vlc.
i open vlc, press [Ctrl]+[N] and put a link to a youtube video in, then i press play.
but i only see one single frame flashing for a very short time (or maybe it is the picture of the video description), then it stops. the playlist is empty like i never put something in to play.

i opened the console and started vlc and retried... here the output i get:

pi@raspberry:~ $ vlc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7H4lDi79YY8
[006adf68] vlcpulse audio output error: PulseAudio server connection failure: Connection refused
[006346c0] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
libEGL warning: DRI2: failed to authenticate
qt5ct: using qt5ct plugin
qt5ct: D-Bus global menu: no
qt5ct: D-Bus system tray: no
[a52856d8] lua stream error: Couldn't extract youtube video URL, please check for updates to this script
[0069e7b8] main playlist: playlist is empty
or

pi@raspberry:~ $ cvlc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7H4lDi79YY8
[004ba288] vlcpulse audio output error: PulseAudio server connection failure: Connection refused
[0049e978] dummy interface: using the dummy interface module...
[b1ff0568] lua stream error: Couldn't extract youtube video URL, please check for updates to this script
[004aa850] main playlist: playlist is empty
i think the main problem is:
"lua stream error: Couldn't extract youtube video URL, please check for updates to this script"
what i am doing wrong?
how can i update the script?
do i have to install something else before i can use vlc and youtube videos?
viewtopic.php?f=66&t=261729&p=1600323#p1600291
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

beta-tester

Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:41 am

thank you...
by copying the content of:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/video ... outube.lua
to the file:
/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/vlc/lua/playlist/youtube.luac
makes opening youtube links working now.

(copying to ~/.local/share/vlc/lua/youtube.lua or ~/.local/share/vlc/lua/youtube.luac didn't worked for me)

EDIT: hoppla... :oops: tomaten auf den augen... schere im kopf... :roll:
this is the right location for the local user: ~/.local/share/vlc/lua/playlist/youtube.lua ;)
{ I only give negative feedback }
RPi B (256MB), B (512MB), B+, ZeroW; 2B; 3B, 3B+; 4B (4GB)

Return to “Advanced users”