lewmur

New Pi 4 4gb no HDMI

Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:50 pm

First off, this is the 4th generation of Pi that I've owned, so I'm not a noob. I just received my Pi 4 and recommended PSU from PiShop US. I've created both a Raspbian and Gentoo SD card with new 32gb class 10 cards. At first I tried using a 12ft HDMI to HDMI Micro cable, but each time I tried to boot, I could see the green led flashing normally but had nothing on the 40" monitor except the message saying "no source". I tried several times with both the Raspbian and Gentoo cards. At one time, using the Gentoo the screen worked, but I soon as I rebooted, it failed again. I also have a 32" monitor and that didn't work either. So, thinking it must be the cable, I hunted through my spare parts box and found an HDMI to Micro pig tail and used it with a 4ft cable and thought I had the problem solved. It booted both the Raspbian and Gentoo cards. But after going through the Raspbian setup and update process, it again failed when I rebooted. So, thinking the update must I corrupted the Raspbian, I tried the Gentoo and now it doesn't work either. Burned Raspbian again and it doesn't work either. In all cases the green led flickers normally.

TideMan

Re: New Pi 4 4gb no HDMI

Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:37 pm

There are two HDMI ports on the RPi 4. For me, only Port 0 (left hand one) works.

lewmur

Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:17 pm

I'm using the one closes to the power connector which is supposed to be the primary. But I have tried both. Now I've discovered something that really upsets me. I have a third monitor that I use for my main desktop. The Pi 4 is working on that monitor. If this is "normal" and not a defective board, then it stinks to high heaven!!!! Those other two monitors have had all sorts of device, plugged into them and have never been a problem. If the Pi 4 will only work on "some" monitors, then I want my money back!! BTW: I tried unremarking the line in the config.txt file that is supposed to boost the HDMI output and it didn't help at all.

lewmur

Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:09 pm

Panic over!! :lol: I found the setting in config.txt for monitors that don't respond properly on boot with the correct info. Have to unremark the line in config.txt "hdmi_safe=1". Now it's working with all of my monitors.

Return to “Troubleshooting”