alaraki

raspberry pi as smart phone

Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:45 pm

Hi everybody please can somebody tell me how can use raspberry pi 4 as smart mobile phone with touch screen[/size] :!: :?:

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: raspberry pi as smart phone

Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:40 pm

not unless you convert it to such a device by adding a touch screen, GPRS mode, and software.

And you can forget about using Android, the RPF doesn't support its use, and no-one has created a smartphone that uses it with an RPI.

This is just wishful thinking AFAIC.

oh, and please don't shout (don't use the size tags) its against proper netiquette.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:52 pm

note, it doesn't use android, also note that it did add a touchscreen and a GPRS module, like I said.

I didn't say you could not make a smartphone out of a RPI, just that an RPI could be used as one as is, it takes a lot of effort, much more than just adding a screen.

rpiMike

Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:05 pm

Where does Android come into it - or has someone edited a post?

HawaiianPi

Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:15 pm

alaraki wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:45 pm
Hi everybody please can somebody tell me how can use raspberry pi 4 as smart mobile phone with touch screen[/size] :!: :?:
Can't tell you how, but I can tell you it's a bad idea.

While Raspberry Pi computers are based on mobile hardware technology, they are not designed to be used as mobile devices, and lack some important functionality (such as low-power, power-saving operation). By the time you add all the needed bits what you will have is a large, crappy phone with terrible battery life and performance, that won't run popular mobile apps.

It's pretty much a pointless endeavor, unless you want to waste a whole lot of time, money and effort just for the experience (which I understand, having done such pointless things myself from time to time). In which case, the PiPhone link above might be a good place to start (it's a phone, but it's not very "smart").
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

Return to “General discussion”