rpi4291

Using 37 modules/sensors

Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:27 pm

Hi there,
I have purchased a set of circuit boards which purport to be usable by the Rasp Pi.
They are intended, I think for Arduino boards.
It came with no instructions, but the internet has quite of lot of info.
What I am unable to do though, is open the .ino files that many of them refer to.
I have tried loading an Arduino editor, but can't seem to get these 'sketch??' files opened.
Can anyone direct me to an URL: please, which will explain how to open these please.
Any advice that can be given, will greatly oblige
Thanks in anticipation.

joan

Re: Using 37 modules/sensors

Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:24 pm

Could you post a link to the files? They are probably text files.

scruss

Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:52 pm

You probably bought the sensors that are described here: Arduino 37 sensors - TkkrLab
They're not a vendor. They're just someone who wanted to document what they bought. So please don't bug them about what you have

Most of the sensor won't work with Raspberry Pi as they have analogue output. Some of them draw too much power. If yours is like the kit I got, it'll likely have a far too powerful laser LED and some mercury tilt switches - both are a big no.

An ino file is an Arduino sketch. You'll need an Arduino board to run them from. You'll also need to install the Arduino IDE: here's how, updated to the latest download version.

You may be able to import the raw ino files, but the way that Arduino likes them is say Sketch.ino in its own folder called Sketch. And yes, for $reasons going back to almost the last century, they're called sketches.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

rpi4291

Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:41 pm

Many thanks scruss.
I have installed the IDE for Arduino and looked at some of the .ino files.
They gives me some ideas to progress with.
Good points about the current requirements . . . being new to all of this, I hadn't thought of that. . . so many thanks.
Correct about the laser and tilt switches.
(I remember as a lad in the 1950's pouring the mercury out of a barometer and running it through my fingers!. Makes me shudder to think of it now).
One of the things I would like to try is to breadboard my own analogue to Digital circuitry and try to programme Rpi to read the input.
Might just be a step too far at the moment, but it will be something to aspire to.
I appreciate your quick and detailed response to my enquiry.
It is really appreciated.

Crowbot

Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:43 pm

rpi4291

Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:06 pm

Many thanks crowbot,
At that sort of price, there is no point in going through the agony of trying to build something myself.
Especially, as I see, they have a python script to run it.
Almost too good to be true.
This is an excellent forum.
Thank you,, all of you.

scruss

Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:01 pm

You can also do something similar with a MCP3008 chip in a breadboard, but Pimoroni do make a tidy package.

Some of the sensors should work with a Raspberry Pi without modification, but some don't and some won't. It's been a low-level idea of mine to take the list from TkkrLab, compare it to the sensors I have, and write up which work and how. But I'm doubting it'll ever happen: and if I make it, it'll just get lifted by cheap eBay sellers.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

rpi4291

Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:12 pm

Already invested in the pimoroni card, as suggested earlier.
I think I might be right is remarking that as their board takes 3.3v it will be unlikely to 'break' my brand new Rpi.
Thank you for your advice.

PhatFil

Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:12 pm

Its a valid solution to employ a daughter/slave arduino board to interface with arduino compatible sensors to feed a pi system.. a pi and arduino can communicate over the network or BT if enabled on the arduino or via a wired connection over serial spi or i2c.

to handle the 5v/3v3 differences between arduino and pi coms you can buy a cheap LogicLivel Shifter pcb fir example https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12009

rpi4291

Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:30 pm

Thanks
I take your point of interfacing the arduino as a feed to the Rpi, but I am having trouble with just the Rpi. . . . don't think I can add Arduino on top of that for the moment! . but it is something that I will bear in mind, so thank you.
Thanks also for the 3.3v and 5v converter.
How do that do that for the price, I wonder.
Anyway, one will soon be off to me in the post!
Regards, and thanks to all of you again for your interest in my problems.

Return to “Automation, sensing and robotics”