cleveridiot

Very magenta picture from NOiR camera when only light source is infrared

Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:38 pm

I'm looking at a weird situation with my NOiR camera v2. It behaves as it should unless any light source other than my IR flood light is present.

It seems to try to find an exposure but mostly (95%) of the time shows a fully magenta screen, where I can still make out movement but it's completely overblown.

This is my backyard where you can see the leaves of the trees and they will be moving at the correct fps.

When I turn on a secondary non-IR light then it snaps back to a normal view, the IR is helping illuminate my yard just fine. But when I turn off the normal light the camera just keeps cycling some ranges of exposure (I guess) with the magenta image prodominatly in view.

I don't think this is a -awb greyworld issue, as I have tried that and all it seem to do is color the pink hue to a more black and white image. Not making the full magenta image go away.
Attachments
magentaNOIR.jpg
magentaNOIR.jpg (81.65 KiB) Viewed 1341 times

DougieLawson

Re: Very magenta picture from NOiR camera when only light source is infrared

Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:58 pm

Run sudo apt update && sudo apt dist-upgrade -y && sudo reboot to get the latest stable firmware, bootcode and kernel.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

cleveridiot

Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:35 pm

Thanks but already did that, didn't solve it unfortunately

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:48 pm

Sticky at the top of the forum - New AWB algorithm - NoIR camera support
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

HermannSW

Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:29 pm

6by9 wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:48 pm
Sticky at the top of the forum - New AWB algorithm - NoIR camera support
I did point out exactly that two days ago, but my response got deleted ...
⇨https://stamm-wilbrandt.de/en/Raspberry_camera.html

https://github.com/Hermann-SW/Raspberry_v1_camera_global_external_shutter
https://stamm-wilbrandt.de/github_repo_i420toh264
https://github.com/Hermann-SW/fork-raspiraw
https://twitter.com/HermannSW

cleveridiot

Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:19 am

I did not delete any posts for sure.

But the sticky post is known, I did do the update, but it didn't solve the issue.

To clarify what happens:

My NOIR image is fine when a normal light source is present, it picks up the infrared illuminated scene plus some yellowish light from a normal source.
When I turn off the normal light source the camera goes into crazy mode and shows this full magenta screen most of the time, it cycles through some exposure levels it seems, one or two frames look good and then bam, this magenta version again. This happens over and over.

When I did the distro update and use the -awb greyworld setting, it simply colors the pink hue to a more back and white version. It does not prevent this magenta overexposure from happening.

But it seems nobody recognises this problem? So I guess my camera might be broken then?

jamesh

Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:00 am

cleveridiot wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:19 am
I did not delete any posts for sure.

But the sticky post is known, I did do the update, but it didn't solve the issue.

To clarify what happens:

My NOIR image is fine when a normal light source is present, it picks up the infrared illuminated scene plus some yellowish light from a normal source.
When I turn off the normal light source the camera goes into crazy mode and shows this full magenta screen most of the time, it cycles through some exposure levels it seems, one or two frames look good and then bam, this magenta version again. This happens over and over.

When I did the distro update and use the -awb greyworld setting, it simply colors the pink hue to a more back and white version. It does not prevent this magenta overexposure from happening.

But it seems nobody recognises this problem? So I guess my camera might be broken then?
This is a known thing - there should be loads of threads around with the fix. You need to set the greyworld AWB mode.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

cleveridiot

Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:34 am

I am going to assume I have done something wrong with the update then, and try to do it again.

Because as it seems nobody is reacting to what I am describing about what the update does and what my experience is, I am left to assume my update didn't work.

jamesh

Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:40 am

You update will have been fine - but you need to specify the greyworld AWB algorithm when taking pictures.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... p?t=245994
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

cleveridiot

Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:25 am

Ohh maybe that's the issue.

I am using raspiVID not the raspiSTILL as described in your sticky post, would that be the issue?

More specific, I'm outputting raspivid to VLC and streaming it in as an rtsp stream

jamesh

Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:41 am

cleveridiot wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:25 am
Ohh maybe that's the issue.

I am using raspiVID not the raspiSTILL as described in your sticky post, would that be the issue?

More specific, I'm outputting raspivid to VLC and streaming it in as an rtsp stream
AWB is the same for vid and stills, so you still need the appropriate runes for greyworld.

cleveridiot

Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:33 am

Right.. So, what could be the issue when I did all the things (upgrade and use of awb greyworld parameter) and the magenta screen still happens?

Could it be my flood light is too bright? Could it be that I have a wrong color infrared?

Return to “Camera board”