northerndakota

Career Fair Game

Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:06 pm

Hello Everyone,

While I am new to the forum, I have had and interest to learn more about Raspberry Pi for a while! Finally I feel I have a project worth trying, but I'm not sure where to start or if what I want to is realistic for my skill level.

Backstory: The company I work for is doing a 10th grade career fair to get sophomores exposed to different jobs. Every year we do this and try to have a game or something to interest the students. This year I came up with a new game to try to get students who might be interested in potentially going into a career field like ours (agriculture repair). The game will involve a certain amount of bolts of varying sizes stick up with a box of assorted nuts to be threaded on. Ranking and prizes would be based on speed. My original plan, and back up plan is just to have an iPad sitting there with a timer next to it that the students would start when they start, and stop when they finish and we would record the times on a white board. But I thought it would be cool to make this a little more streamlined and this is where the Raspberry Pi would come in.

I would like to make it where a student enters their name and school, then when ready, they hit a start button and try to thread the nuts on the fastest, when the nut hits the bottom plate, this would complete a circuit and activate a light signaling its done (I can do this part). Once all the nuts are threaded (Lets say there are 4 bolts) it would stop the timer and record there score. There would be a TV next to the table with their Names ranked by time (students love the competition).

Is this something I could do? how and where do I start? Thank you in advance!

B.Goode

Re: Career Fair Game

Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:51 am

Welcome to the Raspberry Pi forums.
northerndakota wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:06 pm
Hello Everyone,

While I am new to the forum, I have had and interest to learn more about Raspberry Pi for a while! Finally I feel I have a project worth trying, but I'm not sure where to start or if what I want to is realistic for my skill level.

Backstory: The company I work for is doing a 10th grade career fair to get sophomores exposed to different jobs. Every year we do this and try to have a game or something to interest the students. This year I came up with a new game to try to get students who might be interested in potentially going into a career field like ours (agriculture repair). The game will involve a certain amount of bolts of varying sizes stick up with a box of assorted nuts to be threaded on. Ranking and prizes would be based on speed. My original plan, and back up plan is just to have an iPad sitting there with a timer next to it that the students would start when they start, and stop when they finish and we would record the times on a white board. But I thought it would be cool to make this a little more streamlined and this is where the Raspberry Pi would come in.

I would like to make it where a student enters their name and school, then when ready, they hit a start button and try to thread the nuts on the fastest, when the nut hits the bottom plate, this would complete a circuit and activate a light signaling its done (I can do this part). Once all the nuts are threaded (Lets say there are 4 bolts) it would stop the timer and record there score. There would be a TV next to the table with their Names ranked by time (students love the competition).

Is this something I could do? how and where do I start? Thank you in advance!

If you can do the 'complete a circuit' part it sounds as though you just have 4 switches and all 4 switches must be closed to trigger the end of the timer?

Perhaps start with the Raspberry Pi guide to Physical Computing: https://projects.raspberrypi.org/en/pro ... -computing

nickine9

Re: Career Fair Game

Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:07 am

you could set up your pi as an access point and use Flask to build html pages which would allow students to register for the system and display high scores etc. i did something similar for a small "escape room". I used json and python lists to keep track of the data as I didn't want the hassle of installing a database and it was a small fairly simple system. if i did it again I might revisit using a database as the complexity of managing data in flat files increases fairly quickly.

Return to “Other projects”