fagerman

Problems with wireless keyboard/mouse dongle on Pi4

Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:32 am

I'm running a Pi4 using the latest Raspbian Buster. I have a wireless keyboard/mouse that uses a USB dongle that presents as a standard USB HID.

On the Pi I have the internal bluetooth and wifi disabled. Ethernet is connected. The dongle is plugged in to one of the USB2 ports. The other USB 2 port has a USB sound card attached. Both USB3 ports have HDDs attached. The HDDs both have their own power supplies.

All of these devices and this setup worked perfectly on a Pi 3B+.

The issue I'm having is that the mouse/keyboard keep randomly disconnecting from the dongle. There are no messages in syslog when this happens. The only way to get it working again is to disconnect and reconnect the dongle.

Code: Select all

lsusb -t
/:  Bus 03.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=dwc_otg/1p, 480M
/:  Bus 02.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=xhci_hcd/4p, 5000M
    |__ Port 2: Dev 2, If 0, Class=Mass Storage, Driver=usb-storage, 5000M
/:  Bus 01.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=xhci_hcd/1p, 480M
    |__ Port 1: Dev 2, If 0, Class=Hub, Driver=hub/4p, 480M
        |__ Port 1: Dev 5, If 0, Class=Mass Storage, Driver=usb-storage, 480M
        |__ Port 3: Dev 6, If 0, Class=Human Interface Device, Driver=usbhid, 12M
        |__ Port 4: Dev 4, If 1, Class=Audio, Driver=snd-usb-audio, 12M
        |__ Port 4: Dev 4, If 2, Class=Audio, Driver=snd-usb-audio, 12M
        |__ Port 4: Dev 4, If 0, Class=Audio, Driver=snd-usb-audio, 12M
        |__ Port 4: Dev 4, If 3, Class=Human Interface Device, Driver=usbhid, 12M
Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

davidcoton

Re: Problems with wireless keyboard/mouse dongle on Pi4

Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:36 am

Are you using an HDMI cable? Is it good quality? There have been reports that poor HDMI cables radiate enough interference to upset RF comms links.
Signature retired

fagerman

Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:01 pm

I'm using the official Raspberry Pi HDMI cable. I did think about interference, so I connected the dongle to a short (20cm) extension cable and moved it away from the Pi, but it doesn't seem to have made much difference.

That said, the disconnects do seem to get worse when playing video.

CedrictheBrave

Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:40 pm

did this get resolved as i have the same issue?

fagerman

Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:19 am

OK that's two of us. No, I haven't resolved it yet. Nice to not be alone though :)

HawaiianPi

Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:42 am

USB 3.0 devices are known to cause interference with 2.4GHz wireless devices (a common frequency for keyboard/mouse dongles). Try it without the HDDs connected and let us know what happens.

However, the solution is usually to use a short extension cable for the USB dongle, so it's odd that didn't seem to help you. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

fagerman

Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:23 am

That's interesting thanks. I'm currently testing with the dongle plugged into a powered USB3 Hub. (USB3 because I had one lying around). The dongle is the same distance from the Pi as it was with the extension, but the cable is longer, plus there's also the hub.

Your comment on USB3 inerference is interesting. I actually haven't noticed the problem when I'm playing back media from the USB3 drives, but I see it a lot when I'm streaming content, so I wonder if it's actually the ethernet port somehow causing the issue?

Old_White_Guy

Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:44 pm

First, hello and thanks for the forum! I am a newbie to Pi, but I have been around computers for 30 years and I have a bit of PC experience (but no UNIX).

I unboxed my Pi 4 (4gb and 32 NOOB card, 4K Samsong TV ) and it seems to work fine, but I have a lagging wireless mouse problem. It works fine with a plug in mouse, but when I try to use a known good wireless mouse/keyboard, the mouse is very slow and lags. I did take the advice and use a USB extension to place the transmitter 2 feet away from the Pi, but the symptom is the same.

Any suggestions? I am using a wired connection, can I turn off the WiFi transmitter?

And a minor not, When I use Chrome, my icons are very small, but the typed text is normal - Any way to increase the size?

Thanks in advance for your help.

fagerman

Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:08 pm

I've been running for a few days with the dongle connected via the powered hub and it worked flawlessly. So I switched the hub for a 6 foot USB extension lead, positioned the dongle well away from any source of interference... and it disconnected within 20 minutes.

This all suggests to me that this is a power issue, not an interference issue. I'm using the official Pi 4 power supply but it seems it can't deliver enough current for this setup, which is concerning to say the least. Is it safe to use one with a higher rating, and if so can anyone reccomend one?

CedrictheBrave

Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:44 pm

usb dongle for keyboard and mouse now on an extension and issue resolved
keyboard no longer stops working and mouse no longer jumping all over the place

Old_White_Guy

Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:15 am

I have solved my problem with the wireless mouse and keyboard on my Pi 4.

I was using a no name chinese wireless setup and they work fine on a Win machine, but not on a Pi!

I switched to a Logitech and that solved the problem.

fagerman

Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:56 am

Mine is a no-name Chinese as well - it's a media centre remote with keyboard and Logitech don't make one. However it worked perfectly on a Pi 3 but not on the Pi 4, so the question is why?

Return to “Troubleshooting”