Rascas

[Guide] Kodi on Raspbian Buster

Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:35 am

First draft version, update in progress!

INTRO:

After so many posts about people getting problems on installing Kodi on Raspbian Buster, this is a complete guide on how to do it, and an attempt to keep things together in the same place. You will see that after all, it is not so hard.

In the time of the first Raspbian Buster image released by the RPi Foundation, like on previous Raspbian verisons, there was only available the generic Debian Kodi version (17.6 in this case) which is compiled against OpenGL, so not optimal to run on the RPi (at least by this time), it runs very slow.
But now, the latest stable version is available on the PiPplware repo, compiled against OpenGLES, optimized for the RPi.
In the future it may be available in the Raspberrypi.org repo if the guys are interested, making things easier.

Latest stable version available on Raspbian:
Kodi 18.4 Leia

INSTALLATION:

To install it you first need to add the PiPplware repo and update/refresh packages. This repo only contains Kodi, its binary addons and dependencies for the Raspberry Pi. This can be done in a virtual terminal by running the respective commands:

Code: Select all

sudo su
echo "deb http://pipplware.pplware.pt/pipplware/dists/buster/main/binary /" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pipplware.list
wget -q -O- http://pipplware.pplware.pt/pipplware/key.asc | apt-key add -
exit
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -y
And install Kodi:

sudo apt-get install kodi
Take note that Kodi on Raspbian, like most Debian based OSs, is divided into many packages, so you can install only what you really need. Besides the main package, you will find many "binary addons" packages which provide additional features to Kodi. For example, PVRs, Joystick support, Inputstreams, Visualizations, etc. You can easily search for aditional packages by running:

apt-cache search kodi
And install what you want.
For example in this case, we will install the joystick support, IPTV Simple PVR and the inputstream addons:

sudo apt-get install kodi-peripheral-joystick kodi-pvr-iptvsimple kodi-inputstream-adaptive kodi-inputstream-rtmp
After that, restart Kodi and check if the binary addons are enabled in Kodi interface, if not, enable them.

Here are some more recommend binary addons to install (only for Kodi 18 and above):
-kodi-vfs-libarchive - compressed files support
-kodi-vfs-nfs - NFS support
-kodi-vfs-sftp - SFTP support

Alternatively and easier, if you are running Raspbian with Desktop, you can just open the graphical package manager "Dont know the name of it" on the upper left corner menu, search for "Kodi" and install the packages you want.

RASPBERRY PI 3 AND BELOW ONLY TWEAKS:

This is very important!

-Kodi on the Raspberry Pi 0/1/2/3 will only function if you are using the Broadcom drivers! This is the "Original non-GL desktop driver" on raspi-config, which is currently the default on the Raspbian images for the RPi 0/1/2/3. If you select the open-source OpenGL driver, it won't work!

-Kodi on Raspbian requires a minimum of 160 MB of RAM dedicated to the GPU to function properly! This can be done by running "raspi-config" -> "Advanced Options" -> "Memory Split" -> 160.
-If you have a RPi 2/3, the recommended is 256 MB of RAM for the GPU.

-Kodi 18 on the Raspberry Pi 2/3 supports 10bit video files (at least h264 and h265/HEVC) but they are software decoded. The Pi 3B / 3B+ may do 720p 10bit and 1080p 10bit low bitrate only at max! For that you need at least 300MB of RAM for the GPU.

-Raspbian by default, doesn't play some video codecs like VP6, VP8, MJPEG, Theora, etc, so to be able to play this codecs, you need to go to "raspi-config" -> "Interfacing Options" -> "Camera" -> Enable,
or just add a new line in /boot/config.txt with:

start_x=1
-If you have a RPi 0/1/2 and want to play h264 50 or 60fps videos, depending on the kernel/firmware version you are using, you may need to also add a new line in /boot/config.txt with:

disable_auto_turbo=0

RASPBERRY PI 4 ONLY TWEAKS:

This is very important!

-Kodi on the Raspberry Pi 4 will only function if you are using the Open Source drivers! This is the "GL (Fake KMS) OpenGL desktop driver with fake KMS" on raspi-config, which is currently the default on the Raspbian images for the RPi 4. If you select the Broadcom/Legacy driver, it won't work!

-Kodi on Raspbian requires a minimum of 160 MB of RAM dedicated to the GPU to function properly! This can be done by running "raspi-config" -> "Advanced Options" -> "Memory Split" -> 160.
-If you have a RPi 4, the recommended is 320 MB of RAM for the GPU.

-Depending on some factors, if the interface is running very slow/sluggish, and in Kodi -> System Information -> Video, the GPU is reported as Ilvmpipe (LLVM 6.0, 128 bits), you need to add an udev rule to fix permissions. For that, open a terminal and copy/paste the following:

sudo tee -a /etc/udev/rules.d/99-kodi.rules <<_EOF_
SUBSYSTEM=="drm", GROUP="video", MODE="0660"
_EOF_
Press Enter at the end and reboot the system.

-If you have a 4K monitor/TV, Kodi will automatically render interface at that resolution, but we recommend that you select 1080p in Kodi video settings for best performance. 4K videos will still play at that resolution without problem.

-Kodi 18 on the Raspberry Pi 4 supports up to 4K h265/HEVC 10bit video files.

-Note that this is the first build with Raspberry Pi 4 support, so some things may require some fine tunning!

ADDITIONAL INFO:

Kodi package includes an ARMv6 (for the RPi 0 and 1), ARMv7 (for the RPI 2 and 3) and ARMv8 (for the RPi 4) binaries, which are autoselected accordindly to which version of the Raspberry Pi you have for best performance. Optimizations available in Open/LibreELEC like H265/HEVC NEON acceleration are also included and enabled automatically if you have a RPi 2/3/4.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EXTRA INFO (not required for proper function):

RUNNING KODI WITH ANOTHER USER DIFFERENT FROM THE DEFAUL "PI":

If you want to run Kodi with a user different from the default "pi", that user needs to be part of the following groups, for everything to work fine:
audio, video, input, dialout, plugdev, netdev (needs confirmation), users, cdrom (only if you have cd/dvd drives) and tty (needs confirmation).
For that, run the following command:

sudo usermod -a -G audio,video,input,dialout,plugdev,netdev,users,cdrom,tty "username"
Replace "username" by the desired user name. Depending on the use case of Kodi, not all this groups may be needed.

AUTO-STARTING KODI AT BOOT:

Option 1 (without desktop):
If you want to auto-start Kodi automatically at boot, go to rc-gui on Raspbian desktop or raspi-config on a virtual terminal, and choose the option to boot to CLI/console.
Then copy/paste the following to a virtual termianl to create a systemd service for auto start:

sudo tee -a /lib/systemd/system/kodi.service <<_EOF_
[Unit]
Description = Kodi Media Center
After = remote-fs.target network-online.target
Wants = network-online.target

[Service]
User = pi
Group = pi
Type = simple
ExecStart = /usr/bin/kodi-standalone
Restart = on-abort
RestartSec = 5

[Install]
WantedBy = multi-user.target
_EOF_
Press Enter after paste. Then enable the service:

sudo systemctl enable kodi.service
Then reboot. If you want to auto start Kodi at boot with a different user change the "User" and "Group" fields above accordingly.
In this case If you are unable to mount/access disks and also have the options to reboot and shutdown missing, check this:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 0#p1240007

Option 2 (with desktop):

If you want autostart Kodi at boot but also keep the Desktop Environment on the background, just edit the file (with sudo) /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart and add a line, preferably at the beginning of the file with:

@kodi
This option is a bit more resource intensive because the DE is loaded on the background.

SOURCE CODE:

The source code of this packages/binaries are available here:
https://github.com/PIPplware/xbmc

For the Raspberry Pi 0/1/2/3 binaries, the Kodi 18 Leia branch used is "leia_backports", and for the Raspberry Pi 4, the Kodi 18 Leia branch used is "leia_pi4". The "leia_pi4" branch still needs a little update, which will be done in the next few days.
Each of this branches are the original Kodi respective branch + popcornmix Raspberry pi patches/fixes/tweaks respective branch + some litle patches/fixes/tweaks for Raspbian.

If you have any problem, please include your Kodi log. Information on how to do it here: http://kodi.wiki/view/Log_file
Last edited by Rascas on Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:02 am, edited 4 times in total.

Rascas

Re: [Guide] Kodi on Raspbian Buster

Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:35 am

[reserved]

LTolledo

Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:14 am

Now this is the stuff of champions! :o

THANKS! MANY THANKS! and many more to come! :D

will try it on the Buster Desktop install for RPi3B+ ;)
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

Rascas

Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:23 am

LTolledo wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:14 am
Now this is the stuff of champions! :o

THANKS! MANY THANKS! and many more to come! :D

will try it on the Buster Desktop install for RPi3B+ ;)
Thanks much!

On the RPi 3 on Buster it shoudn't be any problems, on the RPi 4 on the other hand it may need some fine tunning ;)

gkreidl

Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:39 am

Thanks, Rascas, for the great work you have done (again).

But there is one thing I don't understand:
In the future it may be available in the Raspberrypi.org repo if the guys are interested, making things easier.
They have done it in the past for Stretch. Why shouldn't they do it now?

I know how much traffic will be caused by supplying Kodi packages for the RPi. As you know, I have done that in the past, before you took over (and did a much better job by supplying the full set of binary add-ons and specialized binaries for the main application). The Foundation should pay for it, not your pipplware group.

I was quite astonished when they added your version to the Foundation repository, because they had never done something like that that before, but it has been a great step forward. And I cannot see any reason, why they shouldn't do it again, and I'm waiting for an official statement here from the Foundation repository maintainers.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

bat0nas

Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:18 pm

Just installed following the instructions and the GUI of the Kodi is so sloooww.
Also Temperature sign flashes on the upper right corner. I assume temp went over 80C.

I have a Pi 4 4GB version.

Anyway I will test more with a clean config. Has anybody encountered such slowlines and temp?

Rascas

Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:39 pm

gkreidl wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:39 am
Thanks, Rascas, for the great work you have done (again).

But there is one thing I don't understand:
They have done it in the past for Stretch. Why shouldn't they do it now?
Thanks. The thing is, the RPi 4 support is still a bit experimental, not only from this packages, but also upstream, it may be a bit early still. I believe the idea for Kodi 19 is to leave GBM + MMAL and go for GBM + v4l2. From my part, I already found 1 or 2 bugs + 1 or 2 things to improve.

But of course, having the packages on another server would be great to offload traffic, ours isn't great and it is in one corner of Europe hehe.

Rascas

Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:40 pm

bat0nas wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:18 pm
Just installed following the instructions and the GUI of the Kodi is so sloooww.
Also Temperature sign flashes on the upper right corner. I assume temp went over 80C.

I have a Pi 4 4GB version.

Anyway I will test more with a clean config. Has anybody encountered such slowlines and temp?
What does it say in Kodi -> System Information -> Video, in the right panel ?

titcharles59

Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:47 pm

Hi
I'm new on the forum
many thanks for this guide. I tried to run it on a raspi 3 B+
But I faced this issue when I tried to install kodi

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo apt-get install kodi                                                                                                                   
Lecture des listes de paquets... Fait                                                                                                                          

Construction de l'arbre des dépendances                                                                                                                        
Certains paquets ne peuvent être installés. Ceci peut signifier                                                                                                
que vous avez demandé l'impossible, ou bien, si vous utilisez                                                                                                  
la distribution unstable, que certains paquets n'ont pas encore                                                                                                

été créés ou ne sont pas sortis d'Incoming.                                                                                                                    
L'information suivante devrait vous aider à résoudre la situation :                                                                                            
Les paquets suivants contiennent des dépendances non satisfaites :                                                                                             
 kodi : Dépend: kodi-bin (>= 2:18.4-2~buster) mais ne sera pas installé                                                                                        

Dépend: kodi-bin (< 2:18.4-2~buster.1~) mais ne sera pas installé                                                                                      
E: Impossible de corriger les problèmes, des paquets défectueux sont en mode « garder en l'état ».   

gkreidl

Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:47 pm

Rascas wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:39 pm
Thanks. The thing is, the RPi 4 support is still a bit experimental, not only from this packages, but also upstream, it may be a bit early still. I believe the idea for Kodi 19 is to leave GBM + MMAL and go for GBM + v4l2. From my part, I already found 1 or 2 bugs + 1 or 2 things to improve.

But of course, having the packages on another server would be great to offload traffic, ours isn't great and it is in one corner of Europe hehe.
V4L2 would be a bad idea, as it currently doesn't support interlaced video at all. No TV support any more.
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download

gkreidl

Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:02 am

Rascas wrote:

The interface is completely sluggish. Processor load is 95% (on all 4 cores), if something is happening on the screen (mouse movement or showing the processor load). It almost looks like using software mesa.

GPU: Ilvmpipe (LLVM 6.0, 128 bits)
Screen resolution: 1920x1080@60.00Hz - Full screen
OpenGL vendor: VMware, Inc.
OpenGL version: OpenGL ES 3.0 Mesa 19.1.0-dev

Rpi 4B/4G, 256 MB video RAM.

Rascas

Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:15 am

gkreidl wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:02 am
Rascas wrote:

The interface is completely sluggish. Processor load is 95% (on all 4 cores), if something is happening on the screen (mouse movement or showing the processor load). It almost looks like using software mesa.

GPU: Ilvmpipe (LLVM 6.0, 128 bits)
Screen resolution: 1920x1080@60.00Hz - Full screen
OpenGL vendor: VMware, Inc.
OpenGL version: OpenGL ES 3.0 Mesa 19.1.0-dev
Yeah, like I thought, looks like sometimes Kodi does not have permission to the DRM subsystem, don't know exactly why, and Kodi starts with software MESA (llvmpipe) instead of V3D acelerated driver.

To fix it create a new udev rule, like for example /etc/udev/rules.d/99-kodi.rules with the following content:

I will add a note on this on the first post. I believe this should be included in Raspbian by default in /etc/udev/rules.d/99-com.rules. Or some other approach if they find better.

Rascas

Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:52 am

Packages updated to 18.4-3.

Changes available here:

[Pi4]
-gbm: Expose videoplayer.usedisplayasclock
-Make PI:HDMI the default audio output device
-HACK: add videoplayer.usemmal setting to gbm.xml (This is enables MMAL option in Kodi GBM. Needed for HW MMAL decoding on the Pi4.)

Just update and upgrade the packages has you normally do.
Last edited by Rascas on Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

gkreidl

Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:18 am

I updated and created the udev file.
It did not work immediately. I had to reboot the system to get it to work.

PI:HDMI was not automatically enabled. I had to enable it myself.

Rascas

Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:59 am

gkreidl wrote:

Yes, you need to reboot for the udev rule to apply.
And the PI:HDMI as default only applies for people installing the latest version for the first time. Or if you reset your Kodi settings, for example, by deleting ~/.kodi.

gkreidl

Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:12 am

Rascas wrote:
gkreidl wrote:

And the changes above only applies for people installing the latest version for the first time or if you reset Kodi settings, for example, if you remove ~/.kodi.
Is there a way to enable MMAL manually? Or does it now work out of the box (without resetting my Kodi settings)?

Rascas

Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:14 am

gkreidl wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:12 am
Rascas wrote:
gkreidl wrote:

And the changes above only applies for people installing the latest version for the first time or if you reset Kodi settings, for example, if you remove ~/.kodi.
Is there a way to enable MMAL manually? Or does it now work out of the box (without resetting my Kodi settings)?
It should be enabled automatically, or else enable it manually in System Settings -> Player -> Videos -> Allow hardware acceleration MMAL

amilino

Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:16 pm

Many thanks for this Rascan! Great work, all is working fine for me on RPi4!

karlandtanya

Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:12 pm

Many thanks for your work!

I have installed on a rpi4/4gb per instructions, but when I start kodi the screen goes black.
I can ssh in to reboot, then I have a screen again, but I'm lost w.r.t. kodi.
What am I doing wrong? how to get kodi to output to hdmi?
thanks again!

Rascas

Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:11 am

karlandtanya wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:12 pm
Many thanks for your work!

I have installed on a rpi4/4gb per instructions, but when I start kodi the screen goes black.
I can ssh in to reboot, then I have a screen again, but I'm lost w.r.t. kodi.
What am I doing wrong? how to get kodi to output to hdmi?
thanks again!
Which HDMI port do you have connected ? Make sure it is HDMI 0, which is the one closer to the power supply connection. If that does not fix your problem, please post your Kodi log, check first post for information on how to get it.

karlandtanya

Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:50 am

Thank you so much for your quick reply!

yes, the TV it's connected to HDMI0, 1280x728x60, and watching vids w/ vlc works ok

here is the logfile

https://paste.kodi.tv/wusodezasu.kodi

Rascas

Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:00 am

karlandtanya wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:50 am
Thank you so much for your quick reply!

yes, the TV it's connected to HDMI0, 1280x728x60, and watching vids w/ vlc works ok

here is the logfile

https://paste.kodi.tv/wusodezasu.kodi
I am sorry, but you aren't running the packages provided by me so I cannot help you much. Follow the instructions on the first post and try again.

karlandtanya

Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:35 am

sorry, that was dumb on me! I couldn't get yours to work so tried a different one with the same result.
which *really* suggests I'm doing something wrong, not a problem with the build

Anyhow I installed yours & reproduced the problem

Here is the log:
https://paste.kodi.tv/tewuveguhi.kodi

bscphil

Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:20 am

Rascas wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:15 am
Yeah, like I thought, looks like sometimes Kodi does not have permission to the DRM subsystem, don't know exactly why, and Kodi starts with software MESA (llvmpipe) instead of V3D acelerated driver.

To fix it create a new udev rule, like for example /etc/udev/rules.d/99-kodi.rules with the following content:

I will add a note on this on the first post. I believe this should be included in Raspbian by default in /etc/udev/rules.d/99-com.rules. Or some other approach if they find better.

As discussed here, and elsewhere in the same thread, it looks like the pi user ought to be in the render group by default, since it's in the video group. The render group gives access to a less privileged graphics interface that doesn't have modesetting, it's just used for GPU acceleration. That seems to be the bug that the Raspbian folks need to fix, it was caused by some recent-ish upstream changes in systemd.

Rascas

Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:59 pm

karlandtanya wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:35 am
sorry, that was dumb on me! I couldn't get yours to work so tried a different one with the same result.
which *really* suggests I'm doing something wrong, not a problem with the build

Anyhow I installed yours & reproduced the problem

Here is the log:
https://paste.kodi.tv/tewuveguhi.kodi
How are you running Kodi? Through the Desktop, in a virtual terminal, at boot through systemd, etc ? Does it work if you start it through a virtual terminal ? If not what is the output ?

Return to “Raspbian”