Arawn_4812

SDHC? Or just SD?

Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:26 pm

Whatever SD stands for, HC means High Capacity.
I can't find a place to stick my new SD card. I found a couple candidates, that are just a little too narrow.
I hope the old VGA monitor still works, but I've an HDTV, if it doesn't. I must be missing something obvious, that I can't fit the SDHC card.

bjtheone

Re: SDHC? Or just SD?

Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:13 pm

Captain Obvious question: You have a micro SD card correct? Almost everyone called them SD cards but the Pi actually uses the smaller form factor micro SD card size (the same size that almost all phones use). Current recommended capacity, if you are planning on running a GUI is 32 GB.

Arawn_4812

Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:41 pm

This is the first I've heard about Raspberry using micro-sd card, like the one I wanted to extract from my Android, but couldn't find the correct paper-clip.

B.Goode

Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:44 pm

Arawn_4812 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:41 pm
This is the first I've heard about Raspberry using micro-sd card, like the one I wanted to extract from my Android, but couldn't find the correct paper-clip.

Only the original 2 models of Raspberry Pi board dating from 2012 used 'standard' SD cards. All models for at least the last 5 years have used micro SD cards.

For the credit card sized boards the microSD card slot is on the 'bare' face of the board, at the edge most distant from the usb and Ethernet connectors.

See https://projects.raspberrypi.org/en/pro ... tting-up/2 for a diagram.

For the smaller Zero models of board the slot is on the populated face of the board, on one of the narrow edges.

The upshot is that if you have a current or recent RPi board and a full-size SD card then you have a conflict...

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:09 pm

thread split off from ancient (seven year old, must be a record!) obsolete thread, now locked.

and yes, when we say SD-card we mean a micro-SD, regular size cards are almost no longer sold AFAIK, only micro-SD cards with an adapter.

If you think you have a full size SD-card check if its not an adapter with a micro-SD card stuck inside it!

The pictorial buying guide Sticky in beginners has more information, but even here what is actually pictured is a full size adapter with the micro-SD-Card stuck inside. micro-USB cards are almost always sold with an adapter, because PC's normally have full size SD-card slots.

P.S. a Raspberry PI does NOT drive a VGA monitor directly! You will need a converter box to convert HDMI to VGA.
Check your "VGA" monitor for a larger white connector, which it might have, if it has one then your "VGA" monitor sports a digital input, called DVI-D, and you only need a HDMI to DVI-D cable, not a converter box., see the pictorial buying guide.

W. H. Heydt

Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:00 am

bjtheone wrote:
Current recommended capacity, if you are planning on running a GUI is 32 GB.
Recommended by whom? A full Raspbian install will work just fine on a 8GB card.

Arawn_4812

Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:27 am

I found the page that recommended SD Cards, rather than Micro-SD.
I finally got a paper-clip, with which to open my phone, and found it contained a 64GB Micro-SD Card, so I still have to unzip Raspian into the root directory.

W. H. Heydt

Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:00 am

Arawn_4812 wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:27 am
I found the page that recommended SD Cards, rather than Micro-SD.
I finally got a paper-clip, with which to open my phone, and found it contained a 64GB Micro-SD Card, so I still have to unzip Raspian into the root directory.
If you use Etcher, you don't have to unzip the Raspbian download.

And while I'm at it..."SD" is "Secure Digital".

Arawn_4812

Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:46 pm

https://projects.raspberrypi.org/en/pro ... tting-up/3
SD Cards, or Micro-SD Cards? This would seem to be the most authoritative advice.
I've finally reached the stage, that my monitor is not recognizing any signal from my Raspberry Pi, so I have to look up Trouble Shooting.

B.Goode

Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:49 pm

Arawn_4812 wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:46 pm
https://projects.raspberrypi.org/en/pro ... tting-up/3
SD Cards, or Micro-SD Cards? This would seem to be the most authoritative advice.
I've finally reached the stage, that my monitor is not recognizing any signal from my Raspberry Pi, so I have to look up Trouble Shooting.

It seems to be dealt with very clearly in the preceding section titled What you will need:
A microSD card
Your Raspberry Pi needs an SD card to store all its files and the Raspbian operating system.

You need a microSD card with a capacity of at least 8 GB.

If you don't feel it is sufficiently clear, every page has a section for providing feedback directly to the documentation maintainers.

Imperf3kt

Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:02 pm

mahjongg wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:09 pm
... seven year old, must be a record!
Nope, I've seen a necro of a thread at least eight years dead.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... =412#p5525
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

bjtheone

Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:21 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:00 am
bjtheone wrote:
Current recommended capacity, if you are planning on running a GUI is 32 GB.
Recommended by whom? A full Raspbian install will work just fine on a 8GB card.
A full install with GUI? And how much space will be left over at the end for user files?

If you are doing something very specific with the Pi you obviously need whatever space your specific thing requires. If you want to use it as a desktop computer, by the time you load the OS, your desktop of choice, the application suite that floats your boat, assorted odds and end you are likely well above 8 GB, so that is not going to work out so well. You certainly could bump up to a 16 GB card but most places 16 GB and 32 GB are the same price (9.64 vs 11.47 CDN on Amazon currently), and the 32 GB will give you some headroom for some photos, and music and perhaps the odd movie. Hence the recommendation for 32 GB.

To be absolutely transparent, said recommendation is mine.

Though I would recommend running it off a SSD, if you want to use it as a desktop. Faster, more suited to lots of writes, easier to move to another computer for sneaker netting movies/photos/whatever and SSDs are crazy cheap these days. Can get a 128 GB name brand SSD for under $30 CDN when they go on sale.

jcyr

Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:33 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Really? I didn't know that!
It's um...uh...well it's kinda like...and it's got a bit of...

B.Goode

Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:13 pm

jcyr wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:33 pm
W. H. Heydt wrote:
Really? I didn't know that!

Somebody should document it.

A bit like this:
balenaEtcher is a graphical SD card writing tool that works on Mac OS, Linux and Windows, and is the easiest option for most users. balenaEtcher also supports writing images directly from the zip file, without any unzipping required.
Ref: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... /README.md

Return to “Beginners”