kasek
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:17 am

Music player

Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:34 pm

Hey got a raspberry pi 4 and want to install a music player like iTunes that will load my songs in a library. What works and do you have a guide most guides I’ve seen r for pi 2 or 3 not sure if there is a difference

epoch1970
Posts: 3579
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 9:33 am
Location: Paris, France

Re: Music player

Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:12 pm

I would recommend piCorePlayer, which wraps piCore linux, Logitech Media Server, Squeezelite, etc. in an easy to live with package. Excellent support for the Pi platform and available audio HATs.
https://www.picoreplayer.org
If you target using a Pi 4, you need a beta release.
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

kasek
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:17 am

Re: Music player

Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:08 pm

epoch1970 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:12 pm
I would recommend piCorePlayer, which wraps piCore linux, Logitech Media Server, Squeezelite, etc. in an easy to live with package. Excellent support for the Pi platform and available audio HATs.
https://www.picoreplayer.org
If you target using a Pi 4, you need a beta release.
Thanks how would I install it from that zip? Do I have to use commands in terminal or

Andyroo
Posts: 4231
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:49 am
Location: Lincs U.K.

Re: Music player

Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:32 pm

You would use Etcher or similar to create the SD as this includes the operating system as well as all the programs.

This is not Raspbian but a slightly different version of Linux and the SD card would be dedicated to this task.

Note: This will delete everything off that SD card.
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

kasek
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:17 am

Re: Music player

Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:04 pm

Andyroo wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:32 pm
You would use Etcher or similar to create the SD as this includes the operating system as well as all the programs.

This is not Raspbian but a slightly different version of Linux and the SD card would be dedicated to this task.

Note: This will delete everything off that SD card.
Do you know of an alternative that doesn’t do that? I’m using the pi as a work station at work and it’s already all set up was just hoping to install an app

epoch1970
Posts: 3579
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 9:33 am
Location: Paris, France

Re: Music player

Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:13 pm

Well there is a media player built in the Desktop version of the distribution AFAIK. It does video, so it does audio.
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

kasek
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:17 am

Re: Music player

Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:45 pm

epoch1970 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:13 pm
Well there is a media player built in the Desktop version of the distribution AFAIK. It does video, so it does audio.
I’ve only seen vlc media player, but I’m looking for something I could load my library into

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 20495
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: Music player

Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:04 pm

kasek wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:45 pm
epoch1970 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:13 pm
Well there is a media player built in the Desktop version of the distribution AFAIK. It does video, so it does audio.
I’ve only seen vlc media player, but I’m looking for something I could load my library into

Where is your Music Library stored at present ??
Retired disgracefully.....

gordon77
Posts: 4120
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:12 pm

Re: Music player

Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:28 pm

You might like to try this python script l've been working on...

https://github.com/Gordon999/Pi-MP3_Player

It will work on a pi and desktop monitor.

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 10772
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: Music player

Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:40 pm

I'm pretty minimalist. I use mplayer and write shell scripts so I don't have to remember all the command line options. Recorded tracks are either stored in a directory on the boot media, or on a USB stick. It also serves to stream programming off the 'net, specifically, our local classical radio station.

kasek
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:17 am

Re: Music player

Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:41 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:04 pm
kasek wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:45 pm
epoch1970 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:13 pm
Well there is a media player built in the Desktop version of the distribution AFAIK. It does video, so it does audio.
I’ve only seen vlc media player, but I’m looking for something I could load my library into

Where is your Music Library stored at present ??
Currently USB drive but I have to select all the music to play it, was wanting just a program open it and hit pl ay

kasek
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:17 am

Re: Music player

Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:41 pm

gordon77 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:28 pm
You might like to try this python script l've been working on...

https://github.com/Gordon999/Pi-MP3_Player

It will work on a pi and desktop monitor.
I’ll take a look thanks

User avatar
BluPI2
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun May 10, 2015 3:56 am
Location: United States

Re: Music player

Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:59 am

I believe Rhythmbox will suit your needs

It supports multiple Playlists and importing of Music Libraries

Just run in a terminal window:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install rhythmbox
Rhythmbox is a very easy to use music playing and management program which supports a wide range of audio formats (including mp3 and ogg). Originally inspired by Apple's iTunes, the current version also supports Internet Radio, iPod integration and generic portable audio player support, Audio CD burning, Audio CD playback, music sharing, and Podcasts.
Owner of a Raspberry Pi 2B, 3B, and 3B+

Return to “Beginners”