Kurt-NEPA

No WiFi on a 4B-4GB with Raspbian Buster

Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:09 pm

I hope someone can help me.

I am new to Raspbian (and Linux) and I am having a problem getting my wireless working.

This is a new install of Raspbian Buster on a Raspberry 4B-4GB. The installation of Raspbian went well, but I have no wireless access. During installation, the seach for my wifi at home never found my router and I had to skip it. In the desktop, when I click on the network icon in the upper right, I get a "No Wireless Interface Found" and a "dhcpcd not running" notification.

What I have tried so far.

1. On my first installation from NOOBS, I got the error and tried several things I found by searching. No luck. Who knows what I may have messed up.
2. I reinstalled Raspbian from a fresh copy NOOBS and got the same issue.
3. I tried to hard wire to my network with an Ethernet cable. No network access either.
4. I reinsalled Raspbian again with a new SD card and a Raspbian disk image. Same problem.
5. I ran sudo raspi-config, went to Network Options and Wifi. I got two error messages. "Could Not Cummunicate with wpa-suplicant" and "There was an error running option N2 Wifi.

At this point, I think the network adapter has either failed or is not starting. I'm open to options.

Thanks for any light anyone can shed on this

Kurt

Drbaboo

Re: No WiFi on a 4B-4GB with Raspbian Buster

Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:35 pm

I am having similar issues. no solution yet but slowww progress. same setup.

Kurt-NEPA

Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:20 am

Thanks for the reply Drbaboo. Its good to know I'm not the only one with this problem.

I tried another fresh install of Buster via PINN last night. During the installation, my Pi4 wireless was able to connect to internet for needed files. But when the installation was complete, I had no wireless connectivity. I inserted my Ethernet cable and it did not work either. So I have no access to my home network and the internet. Otherwise everything else seem to work fine. No internet access really limits my Pi.

At least it appears that my wireless is functional on the board.

Does anyone know how to turn on the networking?

Milliways

Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:24 pm

If you just install Raspbian (without all the unnecessary overhead of NOOBS or PINN) Ethernet should work out of the box, and WiFi after completing the regionalisation options prompted on first boot.

Kurt-NEPA

Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:36 pm

Milliways wrote

"If you just install Raspbian (without all the unnecessary overhead of NOOBS or PINN) Ethernet should work out of the box, and WiFi after completing the regionalisation options prompted on first boot."

Thanks Milliways,

I tried that. Used the Raspbian disk image and installed. The installation could not find my wireless (or any for that matter). I had to skip it. When the installation completed I had no wireless. I plugged in an Ethernet cable and still had no access to my network. The Ethernet port did light up and seemed to indicate activity.

I did the regionalization during the install, but it does not show up under raspi-config. I just get an error. My guess is that a needed file did not get created.

I'm thinking of trying to install it again and see what happens. Hoping I missed something.

bjtheone

Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:38 pm

Under normal circumstances "it just works". More information about your setup would be useful.

First off, what country are you in (matter for wireless connection only) and what is your internet source? Are you sure that it is wide open and accepting connections? The standard configuration of Buster will auto configure if a ethernet cable is plugged in. Do you have another computer to validate your internet connection device (router/switch/whatever)? Is it possible that you have whitelisting turned on and only allow listed MAC addresses to connect?

Kurt-NEPA

Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:57 pm

bjtheone wrote

"Under normal circumstances "it just works". More information about your setup would be useful.

First off, what country are you in (matter for wireless connection only) and what is your internet source? Are you sure that it is wide open and accepting connections? The standard configuration of Buster will auto configure if a ethernet cable is plugged in. Do you have another computer to validate your internet connection device (router/switch/whatever)? Is it possible that you have whitelisting turned on and only allow listed MAC addresses to connect?"

That is what my Pi 3B+ did. Auto configure that is. This 4B tries during installation, but can't seem to find my wireless and nothing with Ethernet either. Strange.

I am in the United States, my ISP is PTD (PennTeleData). My Router is a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 and a Netgear switch. I do not have whitelisting turned on nor are any MAC address restricted. But I am going to check all of that to make sure. I have connected 6 new devices in the last month or two without any problems.

I was really surprised when a hard wired connection did not work. I'm going to try bypassing the switch and see what happens.

Thanks for the suggestions, I have work to do. I'll post back

drgeoff

Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:15 pm

The "what country" question should really have been "have you set the Wi-FI country?". Wi-Fi does not work until you explicitly do.

Kurt-NEPA

Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:07 am

drgeoff wrote

"The "what country" question should really have been "have you set the Wi-FI country?". Wi-Fi does not work until you explicitly do."

I set my country to the United States during installation.

When I check that under the raspi-config, I get an error that indicates file not found.

Thanks.

HawaiianPi

Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:23 am

This seems like a power or SD card problem.

What are you using for a power supply?

What kind of SD card are you using?

Try writing a Raspbian image to an SD card with Etcher, then adding a wpa_supplicant.conf file to the small FAT32 "boot" partition before using the card in your Pi4. Do not extract the image from the .zip archive before writing, Etcher will do that for you. If you receive any errors during card creation, verify the SHA256 hash sum of your downloaded Raspbian .zip file.

The wpa_supplicant.conf file should contain the following information.

Code: Select all

ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1
country=GB

network={
	ssid="WiFi SSID"
	psk="WPA/WPA2 passphrase"
	key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
}
Edit country=, ssid= and psk= with your information and save the file.

Use the 2 letter country abbreviation in CAPS.

Use a pure text editor (like Notepad++) to edit the file (not a word processor).

With that file in the small FAT32 "boot" partition of the Raspbian imaged card, WiFi should connect when you boot up.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

Kurt-NEPA

Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:36 pm

Thanks for the help HawaiianPi

I gave this a try this morning. I formatted my card with SD formatter (FAT32). Then created the Raspian card from the raspbian zip by Etcher. Then added the suggested wpa_supplicant.conf (with my country code, ssid, and password) to the root directory of the card.

I put the card in my pi and turned it on. The installation whet as expected at first. I set the location, time zone, language, and keyboard. When it got to finding a network, it just kept searching. After about 5 minutes, I skipped it. and the installation continued without updating any files from the internet. After it booted, I still had the same problem.

I searched for the file wpa_supplicant.conf and did not find it. So I created one in the etc directory using the suggest text. I rebooted and no change with the wireless.

FWIW, my card is a Sandisk Extreme Plus - 64GB formatted FAT32 (I have also used a Samsung 32BG EVO with the same results)
My power supply is a Vilros 3 amp unit that came with my kit.

I also ran if scan show and it seems to indicate my wireless is down. I attached a screen shot of the result.

my wpa_supplicant.conf that I placed in the etc directory.
ip link show.jpg
ip link show.jpg (159.4 KiB) Viewed 790 times
Thanks for all the help.
Attachments
wpa supplicant.jpg
wpa supplicant.jpg (155.77 KiB) Viewed 790 times

drgeoff

Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:50 pm

ctrl

(Not crtl)

BTW there is no need to format a card (even a 64 Gbyte one) before writing an OS image.

Kurt-NEPA

Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:08 pm

drgeoff wrtoe

"ctrl

(Not crtl)"

Opps! I'll fix that.

Thanks

Kurt-NEPA

Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:29 pm

Fixed the ctrl typo. No changes, Still no wireless.

Thanks

HawaiianPi

Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:31 pm

The correct location for wpa_supplicant.conf is, /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

Although putting it in the small FAT32 "boot" partition also works, because when Raspbian finds it there, it will move it to the correct location (replacing any version previously there). This makes it simple for Windows/Mac OS users to update WiFi network info (since they normally cannot access the Linux ext4 rootfs partition).

It really should not be this difficult. I had no such troubles with either of my Pi4 computers. I just wrote a Raspbian image to a card with Etcher, dropped my pre-configured wpa_supplicant.conf file onto the FAT32 "boot" partition and everything worked as expected.

Fix that typo, and put the file in the correct location and hopefully it will work.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

Kurt-NEPA

Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:15 pm

Thanks HawaiianPi,

I'll move the file and see what happens.

I'm making lots of newbie mistakes here, but I'm learning.

Kurt-NEPA

Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:25 pm

I just checked and wpa_supplicant.conf was in the correct location and contained the correct language, so it must have come from initial installation.

The search continues, thanks for all the help.

drgeoff

Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:46 pm

I would put the Wi-Fi on the back burner and put effort into making ethernet work.

Kurt-NEPA

Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:48 pm

I would if I knew how drgeoff.

Got more study to do.

Kurt-NEPA

Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:49 pm

I contacted the seller of my Pi4 kit (Vilros) and asked what they advised. They offered to send me a replacement Pi4 board. We'll see if that helps.

Stay turned.

MrMas

Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:49 pm

I find it strange that your MAC addresses are so similar for eth0 and wlan0 as shown in

Code: Select all

ip link show
. On my Pi4, they are quite different. This may be a red herring but something may be amiss there. I'd be curious to know what others report as well as what yours looks like on your replacement Pi4.

Kurt-NEPA

Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:40 pm

We'll I'm back to square one.

I received a replacement Pi4-4GB, powered it up. It found my wireless network during setup, but did not connect. Once Raspbian launched, I still did not have wired or wireless network access.

It seems like the network adapter is not configured or the connection to network is being rejected.

I double checked my Netgear R7000 setup and no connections are being blocked, nor are any MAC address blocked.

The fact that my wireless network showed up during set up says the wireless adapter is working. I'm thinking of turning WPA2 off for a bit and then see if I can connect.

Thanks for all the help.

Kurt-NEPA

Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:06 pm

I tried a long list of things today. Nothing is working.

I think the network service is down and nothing seems to bringing it up.

I got one change (at one point). When hovering over the network icon in the upper right I got and notification that Elan0 was down and Wlan0 was not associated.

I even tried loading the previous version of Raspbian Buster with no improvement (grasping at straws).

Does anyone know a way to start up networking?

Thanks

Endorseric

Re: No WiFi on a 4B-1GB

Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:43 am

I assembled the Raspberry and everything worked, including WiFi.
I then turned the Raspberry off and on again and WiFi didn't work, hovering over the WiFi icon showed the following message:

eth0 link is down
wlan0 Not associated

On rebooting on one occasion WiFi worked but starting the Raspberry a day later WiFi did not work and
the message as shown above appeared..

Is this a hardware failure or a software failure.
As I am new to the system I would appreciate help and advice.

Kurt-NEPA

Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:16 pm

Update:

We'll I've been trying everything I can to get this Pi up and running on my network. Nothing seems to work.

In an act of desperation I hooked my ethernet cable up directly to the cable modem, bypassing the router. A guess what, I have a wired connection to the internet. At this point I am thinking that my Netgear router is blocking the connection. I have checked the router setup many times and I can't see that it is blocking anything.

At least I seem to have a fully functioning Pi4, now to find out what's up with the router.

Thanks for the help.

Return to “Troubleshooting”