brohan

pi 4 32GB sd card doesn't work.

Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:10 am

I purchased my Raspberry Pi 4 in a kit from Canakit, which came with a 32GB sd card with NOOBS. My issue is that I can not get a 32GB card to work in my device, I can get an 8GB card to work however. Below are what I have done in a nutshell.

I inserted the 32GB card (A) that came with the pi and fired it up. I was greated with the rainbow screen, then a screen with 2 options for install. I unplugged the pi and set that card aside, as I didn't want to use it yet.

I installed etcher from my Manjaro instance on an 8GB sd card. I downloaded the Manjaro ARM preview 2 for the pi 4. I booted the pi with it, got the rainbow screen, then was greeted with graphical setup prompts (username, password etc). When done I was able to use Manjaro XFCE.

Knowing that 8GB was not near enough for a GUI, I then used etcher to write the image file to a 32GB (B) card that I had. I placed this in the pi and turned it on (using the supplied AC power source). I got the rainbow screen, then a few lines of boot code on the screen, then nothing, no output on the monitor.

I tried writing the file using dd, with the same results.

I then downloaded the manjaro minimal preview 1 for p1 for, and using etcher, wrote it to the 8GB card and it worked as expected.

I then put in the original 32GB (A) card, ran the raspbian installer, which says it installed successfully, then the pi screen went black. I powered off and on the pi, and upon subsequent boot I got the rainbow screen, then a screen about recovery, then . . a blank screen again.

I then tried using etcher in windows, etcher in Linux, dd in Linux and formatting the sd card to fat32 and copying NOOBS onto both of the 32GB cards, to have the same results, ending up with a black screen with Manjaro preview 2, minimal preview 1, NOOB as well as raspbian Buster Lite, all with the same demise.

I CAN however use dd and etcher to write the Manjaro preview 2, minimal preview 1, NOOBs and Raspbian lite and it works every time.

What could be causing the 2 32GB cards to fail?

Thank you

Brian

B.Goode

Re: pi 4 32GB sd card doesn't work.

Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:05 am

Welcome to the Raspberry Pi forums.
What could be causing the 2 32GB cards to fail?

Maybe the cards are 'fake' or faulty, and do not reliably have the storage capacity claimed.

Edit: Maybe the card reader/writer is not SDHC compatible. Probably not the case since it is apparently able to write the 8G card.

pcmanbob

Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:01 pm

Hi.

i would suggest you test the SD cards with H2testW https://h2testw.en.lo4d.com/windows
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

brohan

Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:21 pm

Here is the startup sequence of Manjaro minimal on a 32GB card. This img works perfect on the 8GB:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aA_NDqjYzLY

The H2testw write + verify resulted in: 29460 MByte 12.9 MByte / s written, 29460 MByte 14.4 MByte / s verifying W/O errors

I doubt that both 32GB cards would have identical results (one is from CanaKit Samsung Evo Plus the other a SanDisk .

Now copying the NOOBS full install to the freshly FAT32 formatted sd card results in nothing happening. Using Etcher to write the Raspbian Buster Lite results in the green LED flashing, raspberries on the upper left of the screen, then nothing. No green LED, no screen output, the red LED stays on.

pcmanbob

Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:00 pm

Then I suggest you try a different SD card reader maybe your existing one is not fully compatible with higher capacity SD cards.
I would suggest you make sure it's SDXC compatible.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:30 pm

brohan wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:21 pm
Using Etcher to write the Raspbian Buster Lite results in the green LED flashing, raspberries on the upper left of the screen, then nothing. No green LED, no screen output, the red LED stays on.
Since you're seeing "raspberries on the upper left of the screen" (followed by some text perhaps?) the Pi is booting until the display "mode" is handed over to other firmware/software. If you can edit config.txt what happens if you comment out the "dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d" line in the "[pi4]" section? (there may be edid parsing issues for your display - what is it?)
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W) but Stretch on my 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

brohan

Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:52 pm

I'm not getting any text, just the 4 raspberries in the upper left. Please note. I can write the Manjaro Minimal Preview 1 for pi 4 and the XFCE preview 2 on an 8 GB SD card, and they fully boot with a command line and a desktop respectively. Doing the same operation on a 32GB card and using the same equipment (pi, cords, and monitor) the display simply goes blank in this case, seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aA_NDqjYzLY

HawaiianPi

Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:10 am

This sounds like a problem with the 32GB cards, or the card reader/adapter you're using. In theory, one that works with 8GB should work with 32GB, but your problem is oddly specific to the larger 32GB cards. So it's got to be the cards or the card reader/adapter.

Have you tried writing a Raspbian Image to the 8GB cards with Etcher?

Are you using the HDMI-0 port (the one closest to the USB-C power jack)?

Are you using the official Raspberry Pi Foundation 5.1V/3A USB-C Power Supply?

Are you using a direct micro-HDMI cable, or an adapter?
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

brohan

Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:27 am

I picked up 2 BRAND NEW Samsung 32GB cards this evening. I placed them in the sd card adapter, and then into my laptop. I used Etcher on one to write the raspbian lite and the other I used Linux / dd to write the same img (verified the checksum of the zip). NEITHER OF THOSE WORK. I then wrote the same image, using the same card reader (computer + adapter) to the 8GB card again using the same command as I did for the 32GB: sudo dd if=2019-07-10-raspbian-buster-lite.img of=/dev/mmcblk0 conv=fsync status=progress (note no bs= option as I wanted no chance of a writing size error). The 8GB worked on the same monitor as the other 2 failed. The 2 32GB writes would boot to the rainbow screen, show about 3/4 of a length of boot lines then go dead, both the green LED and the monitor. Red LED stayed solid.

My setup:
Raspberry pi 4 in a CanaKit case. The mini-HDMI cable that came with the kit plugged into the HDMI0 port (closest to the USB port). I then plug the AC powered cable (the one that came with the kit) into the USB port.

I want to be VERY clear. My cords are what came with my kit, and as they are hooked up, they work with my 8GB card. This 8GB card is an older card, so much so that labeling is about all worn off so I don't know the brand. I do know that it is a slower card, as the dd write speed is about 2.4 MB/s.

I can and have written a number of O/S to that 8GB card and all have worked, doing the same action on the 32 GB cards fails every time. EVERY TIME, the 8GB card works EVERY TIME. I have now tried 4 32GB cards. An old one I had, the one that came with my CanaKit, and now the 2 I bought brand new tonight. How can it be the cards?

HawaiianPi

Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:48 am

brohan wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:27 am
... I have now tried 4 32GB cards ... How can it be the cards?
If it's not the cards, then as I said above, it's likely the card reader/adapter you are using to write the cards (or you have a very odd hardware failure that I don't understand).

I've tested several models of Pi computers with cards up to 128GB, and they worked fine. As I understand it, they should all work with cards up to 256GB (larger cards will fail to boot in older models due to a bug in the boot-loader, but the Pi can still read/write them). The latest 3B+ and 4B models support cards up to 2TB (in theory, since none that large exist yet).

brohan

Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:12 am

I do appreciate your replies and insight. I have used the sdcard adapter that came with the brand new cards on my computer and my wife's. Still a no go. I then used the USB adapter that came with my kit on both computers, no go. I am truly at a loss other than an issue with the pi. I have flashed about 50 times over the last 2 days.

I don't get green LED errors related to an EEPROM issue, however at this point may it be worth it to flash it anyway?

I am totally befuddled (not that I am any expert in the matter, just 3 new cards and one not that old with new and various other hardware failing seems to point to the pi).

brohan

Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:13 am

Here is a recording of how the cards act with booting the Manjaro minimal preview 1 flash, which again works perfect on the 8GB): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aA_NDqjYzLY

They all seem to quit at about the same spot, whether it is Manjaro or Raspbian. Again FWIW I have used bs=4M, bs=1M and left bs off so that it did it bit by bit, all with the same results

rpdom

Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:27 am

brohan wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:12 am
I don't get green LED errors related to an EEPROM issue, however at this point may it be worth it to flash it anyway?
No point. If the Pi boots from the 8GB cards then there is nothing wrong with the contents of the EEPROM.

It looks like the Pi is booting fine, just not outputting to the HDMI for some reason. Are you able to ssh in to the Pi from another computer?

brohan

Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:32 am

Why does the manjaro minimal show up on the 8gb and not on the 32gb then? I'll try to ssh in. Which O/S will have the ssh server running with default login creds at 1st boot? Rasbian? I've only seen the lite boot the tty, I haven't actually used it.

rpdom

Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:36 am

If you enable ssh on Raspbian (either through raspi-config and reboot, or by creating a "ssh" or "ssh.txt" file in /boot, you should be able to connect to it. This applies to all recent varieties of Raspbian.

As to why manjaro doesn't work on your 32GB cards - I don't know. I've never tried it. I stick to Raspbian where I've never had any problems booting on any Pi.

brohan

Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:43 am

What I'm curious about is that what would the installs (manjaro, rasbian, etc) on the 8GB video work fine but not on the 33GB? The code doesn't change on the larger card does it?

HawaiianPi

Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:06 am

After writing a Raspbian image to the card with Etcher, remove and re-insert the card (Etcher automatically ejects it after the verify pass), so that you can access the small FAT32 "boot" partition. On that partition, create a file named ssh (or ssh.txt). The file can be empty, the contents don't matter (the presence of that file tells Raspbian to enable SSH).

Connect your Pi4 to your router with an Ethernet cable, or if that is not convenient, you can add another file to the "boot" partition for wireless networking named wpa_supplicant.conf (which should contain the following).

Code: Select all

ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1
country=GB

network={
	ssid="WiFi SSID"
	psk="WPA/WPA2 passphrase"
	key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
}
Edit country=, ssid= and psk= with your information and save the file.

Both files should be in the main directory of the small FAT32 "boot" partition, not in any folder. Use a pure text editor, not a word processor when editing or creating the wpa_supplicant.conf file. Safely eject the card from your system and use that to boot the Pi. If your Pi boots successfully, you should be able to SSH into the system.

From a Linux system with avahi-daemon running you should be able to SSH into pi@raspberrypi.local (user=pi, password=raspberry). Same for Mac OS. Up to date versions of Windows 10 should be able to SSH into pi@raspberrypi (without .local, although either may work). Otherwise you can check your router for the IP address.

Try this on an 8GB card first, to confirm it works, then test it on a 32GB card.

brohan wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:43 am
What I'm curious about is that what would the installs (manjaro, rasbian, etc) on the 8GB video work fine but not on the 33GB? The code doesn't change on the larger card does it?
No, this is a very odd problem.

pcmanbob

Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:38 am

As I have said several times try a different card reader

32GB is right on the limit where cards change from SDHC to SDXC, its possible that your card reader cant handle the 32GB card because its not fully supporting the SDXC SD card specification.

get yourself a cheap usb SD card reader that does multiple card types but includes SDXC in the specifications.

you can get them on just about any online sales site or local pc shop

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:53 pm

As well as trying a different, confirmed SDHC/XC compatible, USB-based card reader, rather than use said card reader in another m/c, since you can get Raspbian Lite to boot from an 8Gb card try writing said card (using the Linux dd method discussed here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... s/linux.md) using the P4B itself. I currently use, and "rotated through" as Raspbian Buster (full) releases were updated, a number of 32Gb uSDHC cards downloading the image file to a USB stick plugged in to the P4B, checking the checksum, unzipping and then writing the image.
FWIW, some info. about the cards and USB reader/writers can be found in my webpages:
Cards: Y,Z,AG,AH,AI,AZ (also shown in the storage case) here: http://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi ... cards.html
USB card readers/writers: Mainly this USB 3.0 device: http://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi ... oSD_Reader in the P4B
but also most of USB 2.0 devices (often supplied with cards linked to above) "over the years" shown here: http://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi ... aders.html mainly in other Pi's.
However I've not used any uSDXC cards since the only two devices I have (excluding Pi's) known to be (and marked, labelled) SDXC compatible are the USB 3.0 card reader/writer and my Panasonic Digital Camera.
Given that it's not certain that it's "full boot failure" or partial boot followed by failure to maintain/obtain a display it may still be useful to see what Raspbian's tvservice command reports when full boot + display has happened with your 8Gb card. See my notes (in the process of being revised/updated) about that command & other display diagnostics here:
http://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi ... uster.html
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W) but Stretch on my 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

drgeoff

Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:22 pm

pcmanbob wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:38 am
As I have said several times try a different card reader

32GB is right on the limit where cards change from SDHC to SDXC, its possible that your card reader cant handle the 32GB card because its not fully supporting the SDXC SD card specification.

get yourself a cheap usb SD card reader that does multiple card types but includes SDXC in the specifications.

you can get them on just about any online sales site or local pc shop
If you are in the UK and have a Poundland nearby ...

pcmanbob

Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:13 pm

drgeoff wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:22 pm
If you are in the UK and have a Poundland nearby ...
[/quote]

checked my poundland several time as its often mentioned but never found a card reader for sale. :cry:

brohan

Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:42 pm

Thank goodness for WalMart. They were the only local store with a 16GB sd card. I was able to successfully burn images to the 16GB card and get them to run using the dd command and etcher. I also purchased multi-card reader, which supports sdxc. I plugged it in to my USB port, and ran "sudo dd if=2019-07-10-raspbian-buster-lite.img of=/dev/sda status=progress conv=fsync". I placed the card in the raspberry pi, powered it, and got the rainbow screen then . . . nothing. No raspberries in the upper left, no boot text etc, just a dead monitor and no activity via the green LED.

I then tried using the new card reader with Etcher, burning the raspbian full img. It said it completed successfully. I plugged this into the raspberry pi, and powered it on. I received the rainbow screen, then the 4 raspberry pi's in the upper left, then my screen went blank as well as no green LED activity. In all me attempts, upon starting the device, I left it powered on for at least 5 minutes after the screen went blank just to give it ample time to do whatever it needed to.

When it did not appear that the device booted, I removed the sd card, and on my laptop added the ssh file to the boot partition (touch /run/media/brohan/boot/ssh) and retried the device to see if it did indeed boot. using nmap and arp -a I was unable to find the device to ssh into it.

I am now convinced the issue is with the device and 32GB cards (and probably higher) and not with my equipment, as I have tried with brand new, name brand cards, and a brand new SDXC reader.

Any other throughts?

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:17 pm

brohan wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:42 pm
Thank goodness for WalMart. They were the only local store with a 16GB sd card. I was able to successfully burn images to the 16GB card and get them to run using the dd command and etcher. I also purchased multi-card reader, which supports sdxc. I plugged it in to my USB port, and ran "sudo dd if=2019-07-10-raspbian-buster-lite.img of=/dev/sda status=progress conv=fsync". I placed the card in the raspberry pi, powered it, and got the rainbow screen then . . . nothing. No raspberries in the upper left, no boot text etc, just a dead monitor and no activity via the green LED.

I then tried using the new card reader with Etcher, burning the raspbian full img. It said it completed successfully. I plugged this into the raspberry pi, and powered it on. I received the rainbow screen, then the 4 raspberry pi's in the upper left, then my screen went blank as well as no green LED activity.

I am now convinced the issue is with the device and 32GB cards (and probably higher) and not with my equipment, as I have tried with brand new, name brand cards, and a brand new SDXC reader.

Any other throughts?
Now you have a working 16Gb card, download Raspbian + Desktop (or Raspbian Full) and write that image as you did with Raspbian Lite. Assuming that also boots and you are able to get to the Desktop etc. plug the new card reader with a 32Gb card into the Pi and then try cloning the system via Raspbian's SD Card Copier to the 32Gb card. (As shown here: http://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi ... OnP4B.html ) Then (cleanly) shutdown the P4B, swap the 16Gb card with the 32Gb card and report back. Can you also post more detailed info. on the cards you've tried (inc. photo's perhaps?) Also for each card that has booted, can you, if they're running a version of Raspbian, can you post the output of:

Code: Select all

cat /sys/block/mmcblk0/device/cid
From that I, and others also, can glean a bit more info. about the working cards - see http://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi ... cking.html . (If you can extract the CID of "non-working cards" by other means that, of course, may be more useful)
Trev.

brohan

Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:02 am

Using my external card reader, I used dd to put the full Raspbian image on the 16GB sd card. I then booted the pi. I placed one of my new 32GB cards in the external reader, and connected it to the pi. It was instantly recognized. I viewed the contents in the file manager, and could see both partitions and read the files.

I then used the SDCard Copier to copy from the mmcblk0 to sda. I then safely shut down the pi, , put the 32GB card in the sd card slot and powered on the pi. Same results as I have been having, rainbow, then the raspberries, then dead.

While the 16GB card was active I ran the command "cat /sys/block/mmcblk0/device/cid" which returned:
4134325344313647200000466f012a00

With the 32GB card plugged in to the reader I could get to /sys/block/sda/device however there was no cid.

The cards from top down (left to right) are:
8GB old card that worked
32GB old card that did not work
16GB new card purchased today that works (only 16GB I could find in the area)
32GB card that came with my CanaKit
Last 2 are the 2 new cards I bought from amazon.

https://ibb.co/7C0sKRx

brohan

Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:11 am

The CID of the sd card that came with my pi kit:
1b534d454231515430633a5ffc013301

The 2 new SD cards:
1b534d4542315154308b51638e012c01
1b534d4542315154308bf46593012c01

Return to “Troubleshooting”