jarsiv

RPi4 feels slow after RPi3b+, USB3 issue with SSD

Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:06 am

I have RPi3b+ and I planned to replace it with RPi4 due USB3 and gigabyte ethernet.

Well after some use of Raspbian Buster Lite RPi4 feels slow with any other application. Booting time feels high and I cannot connect it with Putty.
With "systemd-analyze blame" it shows that DHCP and Bluetooth takes the most time, DHCP around 14s and Bluetooth 9s. I set fixed IP and no more DHCP in list of "systemd-analyze blame" but any how booting feels slow.

I also noticed that processing commands in are more slow in RPi4 than in RPi3b+.
What is going on? These are both in same internal gigabyte network.

Well, comment also of USB3. I tried that also. I have some USB3 data+power + power adapter for SSD. With RPi3b+ it work perfectly via USB hub.
I tried to connect both data+power + power cables to RPi4 USB3 ports. RPi4 didn't rebooted at all. I use this new raspberry branded USB-C power source for RPi4.
Then I tested to put data+power to RPi4 and power cable from USB-hub. Ok, it worked once put I cannot find SSD after reboot anymore.
All works if I use same setup than with RPi3b+ so I connect SSD to USB-hub (which is USB2) and that to USB2 port in RPi4. What then I loose benefit of USB3...

I think with this new power source SSD should work only with USB3 (data+power) cable but it seems not working. Any comments for this issue?

jarsiv

Re: RPi4 feels slow after RPi3b+, USB3 issue with SSD

Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:17 pm

Ok, speed issue fixed after new sd-card.

How about USB3 and SSD? What adapter will work with RPi4?
Existing is based on JMicron and it's not working with USB3 on RPi4

Andyroo

Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:20 pm

Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

jarsiv

Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:53 am

Thank you of reply.
I tested another USB3-SATA adapter and it worked as USB3. (Read/Write about 180MB/s).

But I faced a new issue. While I'm using this working adapter, Bluetooth coverage was reduced dramatically :shock:
I can connect only 1 of 4 Ruuvi tags instead of all four. This one which I can found with RPi4 is behind the wall.

Why Bluetooth power is reduced while USB3 is in use?

I changed SSD back to USB2, and I found all four tags..

Return to “Beginners”