BinduRao

Unable to boot Raspberry PI 3B+(Ubuntu 19.04) with GrovePI+

Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:09 pm

Hi,

I am trying to use the latest version of Ubuntu on Raspberry PI 3B+. When GrovePi is connected, the board doesn't boot, instead return to U-Boot prompt. Without the GrovePi shield, board boots up without any issue. It is possible to connect GrovePi after boot for use, but cannot do a hard-boot with the GrovePi connected.
I have updated the boot config to enable I2C as GrovePi communicates with the Raspberry PI via I2C.
Are there more changes required in boot config to get this setup working?

Here are the source of the images that I have used:
Ubuntu 19.04 - http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/releas ... pi3.img.xz
Ubuntu 18.04 - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ARM/RaspberryPi ... pi3.img.xz

Thanks,
Bindu

pcmanbob

Re: Unable to boot Raspberry PI 3B+(Ubuntu 19.04) with GrovePI+

Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:43 pm

Hi.

My first suggestion would be to see if you pi will boot with the GrovePI+ attached if you use raspbian,
if it does then its a ubuntu problem, if not then,

There have been reports that some hats/add ons when connected to the pi3B+ prevent the pi from booting , I would check with your supplier that the GrovePI+ you have actually supports/works with the pi3B+
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

BinduRao

Re: Unable to boot Raspberry PI 3B+(Ubuntu 19.04) with GrovePI+

Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:55 pm

Hi,
I have been using the same setup with Ubuntu 18.10 (built for 64 bit support) and this works fine. After some investigation, i see that I had to modify configure.txt to use a different kernel executable (vmlinuz instead of kernel8.img) to continue with the boot process instead of stopping at u-boot prompt when Grove PI is connected.
Based on this, i don't suspect any problem with the hat connector. There could be an issue with the boot configuration settings that is available in Ubuntu for Raspberry Pi 3b+.

Thanks,
Bindu

Return to “Linux Kernel”