vol.2

Ken's Labyrinth for linux

Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:40 pm

Is it possible for me to install/run this package? https://ktpanda.org/software/lab3d_sdl/

I understand a little about raspbian, so I can probably follow directions if someone could help.

Thanks,

HawaiianPi

Re: Ken's Labyrinth for linux

Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:45 pm

You'd need to download the source and build it yourself.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

vol.2

Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:22 pm

HawaiianPi wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:45 pm
You'd need to download the source and build it yourself.
I've followed guides to build specific programs, but I'm not sure about doing it with zero guidance. I know there can be dependencies and there seems to be somewhat different approaches to building things and I'm not really yet familiar with the ins and outs.

Is there some kind of generic guide to building things on raspbian? Or is this way easier than I think possibly?

Thanks

B.Goode

Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:35 pm

Is there some kind of generic guide to building things on raspbian?

No.

Because there is no 'Rule' that defines how a developer must share their code.

And also No because there is very little different between building for Raspbian and any other Debian-based Linux system.

What does the developer of this specific program say that causes you to get 'stuck'?

Having said that:
Download, untar, configure, make, install is a very common model that many people adopt.

So in the absence of better guidance, download http://s3.jspenguin.org/LAB3D-SDL-3.0-src.tar.gz

Unpack the compressed tar archive

Code: Select all

tar xvf LAB3D-SDL-3.0-src.tar.gz
Then cd into the resulting directory structure and look around for files such as README or Install.txt that may contain further information.

Or you could read the Installation information provided by the developer here: https://gitlab.com/ktpanda/lab3d-sdl/bl ... nstall.txt

hippy

Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:55 pm

vol.2 wrote:
Is there some kind of generic guide to building things on raspbian? Or is this way easier than I think possibly?
In my experience it's either simple or a journey through various 'circles of hell'.

A lot depends on how well the installation process has been documented, whether for a Pi or something else, how easy it is to guess what might need to be done when that doesn't work, and that depends on one's own experience and knowledge.

The usual 'dive-in and try it' process is to download the source, unzip or untar it, go into its source directory and see what's there -

wget http://s3.jspenguin.org/LAB3D-SDL-3.0-src.tar.gz
tar -zxvf LAB3D-SDL-3.0-src.tar.gz
cd LAB3D-SDL-3.0
ls
There's a "README.txt" which is always worth looking in, and that says installation instructions are in 'install.txt'. A shame that doesn't actually exist.

But there's a "Makefile" and that usually suggests running "make" -

make
That almost worked, but failed for me with -

fatal error: SDL_endian.h: No such file or directory
#include <SDL_endian.h>
I would guess that needs SDL installing then "make" running again.

But I have no idea on how to get SDL installed and how to make the file you need to exist to appear. And I bet you don't either.

I'd give that a whirl though because you may get further than I have.

Welcome to those circles of hell :P

Ernst

Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:22 pm

hippy wrote:

#include <SDL_endian.h>

sudo apt-get install libsdl2-dev libsdl2-image-dev
The road to insanity is paved with static ip addresses

vol.2

Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:46 pm

B.Goode wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:35 pm
Is there some kind of generic guide to building things on raspbian?

No.

Because there is no 'Rule' that defines how a developer must share their code.

And also No because there is very little different between building for Raspbian and any other Debian-based Linux system.

What does the developer of this specific program say that causes you to get 'stuck'?

Having said that:
Download, untar, configure, make, install is a very common model that many people adopt.

So in the absence of better guidance, download http://s3.jspenguin.org/LAB3D-SDL-3.0-src.tar.gz

Unpack the compressed tar archive

tar xvf LAB3D-SDL-3.0-src.tar.gz
Then cd into the resulting directory structure and look around for files such as README or Install.txt that may contain further information.

Or you could read the Installation information provided by the developer here: https://gitlab.com/ktpanda/lab3d-sdl/bl ... nstall.txt
I wouldn't (actually didn't) say stuck exactly. It's more of a general confusion over manual install and downloads for linux and raspbian. To elaborate, I have followed some guides, but there seems to be multiple methods for these things, and I don't yet know enough to understand where to start (much less troubleshoot).

Thanks for the tips. "Download, untar, configure, make, install is a very common model that many people adopt." is exactly the kind of guidance I'm looking for.

hippy

Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:27 pm

Ernst wrote:
Thanks for that. It now builds for me, I can use ./ken and get the setup screen, but things go pear-shaped after that.

cd LAB3D-SDL-3.0
make
./ken

vol.2

Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:38 pm

hippy wrote:
vol.2 wrote:
In my experience it's either simple or a journey through various 'circles of hell'.

A lot depends on how well the installation process has been documented, whether for a Pi or something else, how easy it is to guess what might need to be done when that doesn't work, and that depends on one's own experience and knowledge.

The usual 'dive-in and try it' process is to download the source, unzip or untar it, go into its source directory and see what's there -

cd LAB3D-SDL-3.0
ls
There's a "README.txt" which is always worth looking in, and that says installation instructions are in 'install.txt'. A shame that doesn't actually exist.

But there's a "Makefile" and that usually suggests running "make" -

make
That almost worked, but failed for me with -

#include <SDL_endian.h>

But I have no idea on how to get SDL installed and how to make the file you need to exist to appear. And I bet you don't either.

I'd give that a whirl though because you may get further than I have.

Welcome to those circles of hell :P
Hahaha. Yes, I aware that I am venturing into the inner circles....

Thanks for the explanation, this will help a lot on my journey. I was able to find a install.txt on the git: https://gitlab.com/ktpanda/lab3d-sdl/bl ... nstall.txt
It says I need "OpenGL 1.2, GLU 1.3, SDL 1.2" and the original Ken's Labyrinth data files (which are freely downloadable from Ken's website)

I guess I'll give this all a shot when I get home later.

Thanks again!

vol.2

Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:40 pm

hippy wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:27 pm
Ernst wrote:
Thanks for that. It now builds for me, I can use ./ken and get the setup screen, but things go pear-shaped after that.

cd LAB3D-SDL-3.0
make
./ken
I can't try this out until later today, but you can see my previous post has some more info I found. Also, it might require some of the original files to run and you can find that here: http://www.advsys.net/ken/klab.htm

Also, I understand this needs opengl, and that doesn't always work on the pi and it needs to be turned on in the config menu. Also, it can apparently "mess up other parts of your system," or so I've read around on this site.

Ernst

Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:55 pm

I used raspi-config to activate "GL (Full KMS) OpenGL desktop driver with full KMS" and I was able to start run ken.

vol.2

Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:19 pm

Ernst wrote:
I used raspi-config to activate "GL (Full KMS) OpenGL desktop driver with full KMS" and I was able to start run ken.
Awesome. Did you have to put the original data files from Ken Silverman's site in the folder somewhere, or did it just run as compiled from the git?

Ernst

Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:23 pm

vol.2 wrote:
Ernst wrote:
Awesome. Did you have to put the original data files from Ken Silverman's site in the folder somewhere, or did it just run as compiled from the git?
I did not install anything, I just tried it and it worked on the second attempt.
The first attempt was without GL and the Pi3B was reacting slow and hot.

vol.2

Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:21 pm

Ernst wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:23 pm
vol.2 wrote:
Ernst wrote:
I did not install anything, I just tried it and it worked on the second attempt.
The first attempt was without GL and the Pi3B was reacting slow and hot.
Ok. Cool. Thanks again for you help. :)

Return to “Beginners”