SuperNunb

Failed to execute child process ".usr.bin.lxterminal" (No such file or directory)

Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:53 pm

I'm trying to set my Pi up for the fourth time, after making stupid mistakes that made me have to reinstall Raspbian each time. This time around, though, I was trying to execute a program that I had made executable, and it started saying I needed to set the terminal emulator. I went through forums and fixed that or so I thought, but I seemed to have caused a problem that I can't seem to reverse or find any fixes for online.
If I try to execute the program, it says "Failed to execute child process usr.bin.lxterminal". I think I know why this is happening. (I messed up this example: https://www.reddit.com/r/archlinux/comm ... s_not_set/) However, I have no clue how to get back to the GUI that I used to do that in the first place, as it only showed up when the terminal emulator wasn't set. If anyone knows how to get to the terminal settings GUI, it would very helpful!
This also happens when I try to right-click on a folder and open it in terminal.
Thank you for any help ahead of time!

B.Goode

Re: Failed to execute child process ".usr.bin.lxterminal" (No such file or directory)

Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:16 am

Is this question about the Arch distribution of Linux for your RPi? If so, please flag it for attention by a Moderator to have it moved here: viewforum.php?f=53

SuperNunb

Re: Failed to execute child process ".usr.bin.lxterminal" (No such file or directory)

Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:16 pm

I wasn't sure type of Linux Raspbian was, but if it is Arch, yeah I can move it there.

davidcoton

Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:03 pm

Raspbian is not Arch. Why were you trying to follow instructions on an Arch-related Reddit? (I don't know if that's the reason for your problem, but it may well be.)
Signature retired

SuperNunb

Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:45 am

Could have been the reason, but I don't think so. There were two options on the instructions, and I think I just picked the wrong one. Looking at the resulting error, I'm guessing the other option would have worked.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:40 am

moved to Arch, this is why we have different sub-fora for non Raspbian OS, what works on Raspbian may not work on another distro, that is why other distro's are deprecated.

SuperNunb

Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:37 am

No, I'm using Raspbian. I'm not using Arch.

B.Goode

Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:48 am

SuperNunb wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:37 am
No, I'm using Raspbian. I'm not using Arch.

So to return to the issue...
I was trying to execute a program that I had made executable,

Maybe it would be helpful to state what the program is, how it was installed, how you made it executable, how you attempted to run it, and the full error message that resulted.

Referring to the documentation for a different Operating System has confused the situation.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:58 pm

Moved back to troubleshooting where it will get more eyes.

Return to “Troubleshooting”