imaginaryeast

Font smaller than Terminus

Fri May 17, 2019 6:38 pm

Hello,

I'm using my Pi on a large display with a low resolution, so the text is a little too big, even at the 6x12 size (smallest terminus goes). Can anyone offer a suggestion that will get me a nice basic font that goes smaller than that?
I want it to be as close in appearance to Terminus as possible.

Thanks,

BeauSlim

Re: Font smaller than Terminus

Sat May 18, 2019 2:34 am

Since you are talking about Termius I assume you are talking about the framebuffer console. Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of small fonts available in psf format, but I have found a couple good ones:

Tamsyn is my favorite and comes as small as 5x9.

miniwi is _very_ tiny if you want that. It is extremely minimalist but it can be useful if you really need as many rows and columns as possible.

Put the psf files in your /usr/share/consolefonts and change the bottom of /etc/default/console-setup file to activate.

vol.2

Tue May 21, 2019 9:26 pm

BeauSlim wrote:
Since you are talking about Termius I assume you are talking about the framebuffer console. Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of small fonts available in psf format, but I have found a couple good ones:

miniwi is _very_ tiny if you want that. It is extremely minimalist but it can be useful if you really need as many rows and columns as possible.

Put the psf files in your /usr/share/consolefonts and change the bottom of /etc/default/console-setup file to activate.
Thank you! miniwi looks perfect! And thanks for the explanation of where to put it. :)

vol.2

Fri May 24, 2019 1:13 am

BeauSlim wrote:

Sooo, actually. I'm having trouble making it work. the git site for miniwi has a download which only has one .psf file in it I can find, and then some other stuff. When I open the file location for console, there is also a bunch of other files that end in *.psf.gz, but I don't see one for miniwi. Also, inside the console file, there is a note which refers to a *.psf.gz file, like I'm supposed to have that too.

Edit: I did a google search for a miniwi .psf.gz file and used that and it works. however, I'm assuming I should be able to do it with what's on the github. Could you possibly explain what I was supposed to do?

Thanks,

Return to “Advanced users”