Bruce Crowthorne

Remote control for VLC or RPi

Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:47 pm

I am using VLC as my video player - it is great!
Now I am getting fussy.

I have found various Apps that seem to allow remote control of VLC from phones. This page lists more than I expected! https://wiki.videolan.org/Control_VLC_f ... oid_Phone/
Titles include VLC Mobile Remote (which looks like my favourite), VLC Remote PRO and VLC Shake Remote.

When I read the detail, it appears that they target VLC running on a PC, not the RPi

So the question is - has anyone had success with any of these? Or any others?

Other idea was to use some form of dedicated remote control (like a TV or universal remote) and use an IR receiver on the RPi. Has anyone gone that route? Or is there a commercially available one (like the one for Kodi)?

Any constructive suggestions will be gratefully received
Thanks
Bruce

PS the way I am using VLC is to use anRPi3B+ in my study and use uPnP to "find" my Humax 5000T pvr in the lounge and play normal recordings that I have made from Freeview - works REALLY well!

gkreidl

Re: Remote control for VLC or RPi

Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:06 am

I'm using a so called "air mouse" on my media RPi, which gives me both mouse and keyboard control. It's not much larger than a remote control unit. VLC can be controlled by a large (and editable) set of keyboard commands.
airmouse.jpg
airmouse.jpg (48.94 KiB) Viewed 81 times
VLC can also be controlled by a web interface. You have to enable it before you can use it.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

Bruce Crowthorne

Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:32 am

Hmm.. interesting option.
Currently I have two RPis running VLC. On one I use an (existing) Logitech K400 keyboard, which is good, but even that is a bit big for using from the sofa!
The other one I am using a Rii X8 mini wireless keyboard. It works - but the trackpad action takes a bit of getting used to and the keyboard is a bit horrid. It's upside is that it is fairly small and it has "mouse" buttons and even a scroll roller (never used it) but the buttons are the old style "dead flesh" type and the keyboard layout is a bit non standard.

Most of what I do is clicking the VLC icon, then choosing items from lists - maybe I will try a wireless mouse? When using VLC I don't think I ever type anything......

Bruce Crowthorne

Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:37 pm

Tried a "wireless" mouse - it is ideal to run VLC, the way I use it I don't actually need a keyboard!

But the downside, the mouse I tried only has a range of about six feet (2 metres) :-(
But I assume that other mouse "wireless" technologies / brands offer greater range. Any idea which offers the greatest range?

Bruce Crowthorne

Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:15 am

Tried a Logitech mouse - works great - about 10 foot range.

Course the problem now is that the text is too small on the screen! I had a search but it doesn't appear that there is an option to increase the font size of the menus :-(

Return to “Advanced users”