rubystar

Music player

Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:32 pm

Hi
New to Raspberry Pi. Know nothing about them, but they seem to have possibilities. I listen to music through my mobile phone and headphones. The music files are either .wav or .flac files. The problem with phones (mine is a Sony Android phone) is the poor quality of the headphone jack socket, and the sensitivity of the software. It constantly lowers volume by itself, cuts out by itself, interrupts with Google voice-overs and other things. No remedy offered on forums fixes these issues. So my question is - Could I use a Raspberry Pi as a music storage device for .wav and .flac music files, and also a player and headphone amplifer? If so, what are the aspects of the components on a Raspberry Pi that would lower the audio quality, compared to a mobile phone that plays .wav and .flac files? My vision is simply to replace the phone as my portable music player.
Thanks for your help
rubystar

W. H. Heydt

Re: Music player

Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:46 pm

I have set up a Pi3A+ (which is overkill) to do something like that. The music is stored as .wav files and I use a set of noise reducing headphones. I met a guy who used to do professional audio and video editing and he was quite impressed with the quality, so I surmise it's decent.

Pis that have an audio output connector provide line out. That will work for headphones. If you want better amplification and control, you can get DAC attachments for Pis. Many of them now conform the the Pi HAT standard.

k-pi

Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:27 am

You can't take your RPi walkabout unless you have a power source, but as an audio player, my RPi3B/3B+/3A+ work well.

Mine play mainly through built in speakers on my monitors, but I can plug in headphones too.

rubystar

Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:01 pm

Hi
Thanks for your replies. I guessed it might be something like this, that it would be possible to do but would require power. What level of voltage and amps (or milliamps) would this set up require?
Thanks
rubystar

fruitoftheloom

Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:37 pm

rubystar wrote:
Hi
Thanks for your replies. I guessed it might be something like this, that it would be possible to do but would require power. What level of voltage and amps (or milliamps) would this set up require?
Thanks
rubystar

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... /#pi-power
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Stretch.

W. H. Heydt

Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:39 pm

rubystar wrote:
Hi
Thanks
rubystar
5v. Amperage depends on the model of the Pi and any additional attachments that require power. I've found that a 4Ah "powerbank" with a 1A output is sufficient for my Pi3A+ with the headphones and nothing else attached.

Return to “Beginners”