Hware-exptr

CUPS & application printing Debian

Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:41 am

I have installed CUPS on my Pi 3 B + and can print a test page from another computer using the CUPS web administration on https://192.168.0.20:631 from the Administration. Manage. Maintenance.Print Test Page option. This works fine to my SAMSUNG SCX4623 network printer on 192.168.0.203:9100 so CUPS seems to be working as is the PPD and the network connection to the printer. However, when I look in any of the XWindows apps eg Libre Office Draw, the printer is not offered as an option and hence I cannot print to it. The only printer offered is a 'generic' and this does not work.

How do I install the printer into the XWindows apps?

A simple guide added to the documentation on how to set up printers would be most helpful together with copies of screens.

It seems strange that such a useful computer is missing something as fundamental as printer support!

When will it be added to the distro?

Thanks

Peter

Andyroo

Re: CUPS & application printing Debian

Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:51 pm

Come on - this is Linux not Windows :lol:

I hate printing under Linux.

I hope this link is wrong https://help.libreoffice.org/Common/Set ... _Platforms as that’s a whole lot of faffing about to print!

I’m going to have to get a desktop Pi set up to try this...
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

fruitoftheloom

Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:19 am

Hware-exptr wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:41 am
I have installed CUPS on my Pi 3 B + and can print a test page from another computer using the CUPS web administration on https://192.168.0.20:631 from the Administration. Manage. Maintenance.Print Test Page option. This works fine to my SAMSUNG SCX4623 network printer on 192.168.0.203:9100 so CUPS seems to be working as is the PPD and the network connection to the printer. However, when I look in any of the XWindows apps eg Libre Office Draw, the printer is not offered as an option and hence I cannot print to it. The only printer offered is a 'generic' and this does not work.

How do I install the printer into the XWindows apps?

A simple guide added to the documentation on how to set up printers would be most helpful together with copies of screens.

It seems strange that such a useful computer is missing something as fundamental as printer support!

When will it be added to the distro?

Thanks

Peter

Raspbian Stretch ARMHF requires drivers, try:

Code: Select all

sudo apt update
sudo apt install system-config-printer printer-driver-splix 

You may get lucky and Splix will support as Samsung do not support Linux ARMHF OS.

http://splix.ap2c.org
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Buster.
Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1

Hware-exptr

Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:50 pm

Have tried those suggestions but still no luck.

The printer is working both from CUPS maintenace print test page and from command line via lp command. However, it does not seem to be available to X11 applications.

If I look at printer settings under libre Office Draw / Writer (5.2.7.2), it shows 'generic printer' and 'print to file' . 'spadmin' does not appear to exist, however, the 4.2 release note say that it hs been depracated and is nolonger distributed.

This is the Standard Debian Stretch variant. Deb9u3

But none of my other printers neither the Samsung scx4623 nor the HP photo8150 show up as options to select.

Attempting to print to generic seems to do nothing.

Any ideas thanks

Peter

fruitoftheloom

Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:16 pm

Hware-exptr wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:50 pm
Have tried those suggestions but still no luck.

The printer is working both from CUPS maintenace print test page and from command line via lp command. However, it does not seem to be available to X11 applications.

If I look at printer settings under libre Office Draw / Writer (5.2.7.2), it shows 'generic printer' and 'print to file' . 'spadmin' does not appear to exist, however, the 4.2 release note say that it hs been depracated and is nolonger distributed.

This is the Standard Debian Stretch variant. Deb9u3

But none of my other printers neither the Samsung scx4623 nor the HP photo8150 show up as options to select.

Attempting to print to generic seems to do nothing.

Any ideas thanks

Peter

The HP PhotoSmart 8150 ? is supported by HPLIP

Code: Select all

sudo apt update
sudo apt install hplip
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Buster.
Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1

Return to “Troubleshooting”