dazmc

install things on piserver image

Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:19 am

Hi all.

I have recently installed a piserver in our school classroom as shown here https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/piserver/

It appears to all be working fine except now I'm having difficulty installing things onto the pi image.

I am trying to install edublocks via the shell that piserver provides. I get some errors about QEMU but it continues. The installation stops and asks me to install without sudo, but I'm not using sudo?

If i try on a pi itself I don't have the write permissions.

Also I need to install a CA certificate in the Chromium browser, is it possible to do this for all users?

I appreciate any help you can give.

Thank you.

incognitum

Re: install things on piserver image

Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:40 am

dazmc wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:19 am
I am trying to install edublocks via the shell that piserver provides. I get some errors about QEMU but it continues. The installation stops and asks me to install without sudo, but I'm not using sudo?
Everything you execute in the piserver chroot shell is executed as the "root" user.
Which should generally be ok for installing things.

If the software you are trying to install, has some kind of expectancy to be run as the "pi" user, that is not going to work in multi-user environments, where the logged-in user will not be "pi", but some student account....
Suggest you ask the author if proper multi-user support and a proper Debian package is on his roadmap.

Also if it runs any (web)server software, it should only run when an user actually started it.
Globally running (systemd) services generally do not work properly with piserver, as it only has writable storage when an user actually is logged-in.

==
Also I need to install a CA certificate in the Chromium browser, is it possible to do this for all users?
Not in any easy way.
Chromium has the nasty habit of storing the list of trusted CA certificates in each individual home directory ( ~/.pki/nssdb/cert9.db ) and not at a global location where you can easily add/remove them.

Return to “Staffroom, classroom and projects”