jakebpg

latest firmware CRASHES RP1

Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:38 pm

Anyone else having this problem??

sd card is sandisk ultra 32Gb.

Of course the OS is the archHF which was up to date until running the update today!

System was working fine until I did an update today. Reboot after the update and massive crash! System wont even boot, as if everything in the .boot directory is missing. Looked at the /boot directory on my laptop and everything is there. Copied the kernel files from a backup to the drive and boot from it. Boots fine but no MODs loading. run pacman -Syu which updated the kernel and reboot and the system comes right up minus all needed mods but the wired either net works, wireless does not! Do a modprobe r8712u which loads the wireless mod but wireless fails to work!

There is no modifications to the rpi, it is as it was when shipped. I know it's getting the required power as it is running off of a powered USB hub and the test points show the full 5 volts. And yes before rebooting I always run the sync command(even though you shouldn't have to)

So any ideas what in the ---- is going on here!

Unfortunately I have lost about 72hrs of programming work since I can't boot this thing. Yes I have an image file of it but it does not include all the programming I've done since the last dd backup!

elatllat

Re: latest firmware CRASHES RP1

Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:28 am

use dd to make another backup.img of your SD
and next time use git; commit and push often.
SBC with 32GB RAM: https://hardkernel.com

FAQ : https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com

Unanswered: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/search.php?search_id=unanswered

jakebpg

Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:39 am

here's the firmware that crashed the system:
raspberrypi-firmware-20121120-1

And yes I do use dd for backups once a month, with periodic file backups in between.

It takes quit some time to dd a 32GB card, so it's not like it can be done every time an update is available.

As I said this is the second time I had a crash because of a firmware update. I don't believe I'll be doing any more firmware updates anymore since the system was working fine with the older firmware.

Again what is the reason for the firmware crashing the system? Yes it is a bug, but the question is what is causing it!

jakebpg

Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:43 am

elatllat wrote:use dd to make another backup.img of your SD
and next time use git; commit and push often.
What do you mean use git; commit and push?

How's that going to keep the firmware update from crashing the system?
Of course you know all system update should be done using pacman. All other forms of updates are strongly discouraged for the fact of corrupting the system!

sdjf

Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:21 am

When I was doing a lot of heavy stuff on my PDA, I was doing tar backups twice a day as I never knew when the system would crash.

Are you programming stuff all over the place, so an ls -t wouldn't give you a list of files to tar up more like at least once or twice a week?

My plan is to put anything that is not easy to replace on external media, once my Pi arrives. I just do not trust Arch or the Pi that much, from all I have read. You obviously know a whole lot more than I do, but I have learned the backup lesson pretty intensely messing around with my Embedded system.

Speaking of which - I need to make some backups as well.
FORUM TIP: To view someone's posting history, sign in, click on their user name, then on "Search User's Posts." || Running ArchLinuxArm on Model 2B and 512MB Model B

jakebpg

Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:28 am

sdjf wrote:When I was doing a lot of heavy stuff on my PDA, I was doing tar backups twice a day as I never knew when the system would crash.

Are you programming stuff all over the place, so an ls -t wouldn't give you a list of files to tar up more like at least once or twice a week?

My plan is to put anything that is not easy to replace on external media, once my Pi arrives. I just do not trust Arch or the Pi that much, from all I have read. You obviously know a whole lot more than I do, but I have learned the backup lesson pretty intensely messing around with my Embedded system.

Speaking of which - I need to make some backups as well.
Yes I know about backups in more then one way. I've been burned many times by crashes but never expected it to happen because of a simple update. My dl380s are backed up every other day and it's not just an incremental backup either. Guess I'll just start mapping a drive through sshfs and keeping the files locally on my laptop.

sdjf

Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:47 am

I guess I do not trust software updates because of my limited experience, and having read so many people having similar problems when they did firmware updates on ArchLinux Arm. I was hoping it would be more stable than my PDA, but that seems to be far from the case.

But at least it will have more memory, that will make it worth the hassle. And a system that can be updated when I want to take the risks involved.
FORUM TIP: To view someone's posting history, sign in, click on their user name, then on "Search User's Posts." || Running ArchLinuxArm on Model 2B and 512MB Model B

DJBnJack

Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:08 pm

It might be the "sdhci-bcm2708.cycle_delay=1000" in cmdline.txt. Remove it, if you have it ;-)
What do you mean use git; commit and push?
How's that going to keep the firmware update from crashing the system?
I'm guessing he means to backup only your programming using git (or any other version control system), as this saves you from having to backup all 32GB -- and has other advantages as well!

Free sites to use and try git: github.com and bitbucket.org.

Good luck!

RaTTuS

Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:23 pm

rsync to a local server your / from the RPi ...

will not take long after the 1st time
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:41 pm

What Rattus said - I use rsync on my Linux box to sync backup to USB harddrives. When writing code I also use github or bitbucket and push code changes multiple times/day as backup - cloud storage in effect. Should work equally well on the Raspi.

As to the fault itself, updates can cause problems- in fact they are probably the area most prone to issues - I've certainly found that on Linux boxes in the past. Always backup before doing an update.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

sdjf

Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:37 am

I think that in talking about the importance of making backups, the original poster's point that the new firmware crashed his system and data got lost in the shuffle.

The firmware should not be doing that. Question in my mind is whether there is something about his system the firmware could not handle, or something else wrong. If it is the firmware, backups or no backups, firmware should still get fixed.

pepedog

Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:05 pm

I created an alternate kernel and firmware pair (only if running armv6h) that uses Linux 3.6.7
To install

Code: Select all

pacman -Sy linux-raspberrypi-next linux-headers-raspberrypi-next raspberrypi-firmware-next
Always sync before reboot

To revert back to older kernel and firmware

Code: Select all

pacman -Sy linux-raspberrypi linux-headers-raspberrypi raspberrypi-firmware
See http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 00#p216838 on how to use -next firmware
No reported problems with this, out of lazyness it's (virtually) using config as found in rasbian
Will post in a separate announce topic too

Return to “Arch”