Penaf
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:52 pm

3B+ dead (?) after plugging camera to display port

Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:57 pm

Hello everyone.

Long time user first time poster here.

I have one of those camera modules with 2 infra red leds and I was trying to start using it when following a tutorial the wrong way I accidentally plugged the wire strip to the display strip port on my Model 3B+. The board immediatly rebooted (short?) and now everytime I turn it on nothing happens apart the red lead turning on. No activity at all.

Have I killed the board? Is this fixable?

Thanks in advance! I appreciate your time.

pcmanbob
Posts: 5869
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 9:28 pm
Location: Mansfield UK

Re: 3B+ dead (?) after plugging camera to display port

Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:43 pm

Hi.

Plugging in to the wrong connector on your pi probably shorted something hence the reboot, as you still have the red LED lit my guess would be the 3.3v has been shorted and no longer works.

if you have a digital volt meter you could check this by connecting the meter between the 3.3v gpio pin and a ground, being careful no to short any pins to adjacent ones.

Image

If there is no 3.3v then the pi is dead and the only option is to buy another.

If you do have 3.3v on the relevant pin then try re-flashing your SD card.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

Penaf
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:52 pm

Re: 3B+ dead (?) after plugging camera to display port

Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:11 pm

Thanks mate for the fast reply!

Well ... bad news for me I guess. There's no 3.3V on that pin. The 5V pins are outputing 5.25V.

I'll have to grab myself a new board.

Kind of weird as there's no protection against this as I'd say doesn't seem a rare accident to happen since the camera and display wire strips are the same size.

Again, thanks for your time.

User avatar
HawaiianPi
Posts: 3842
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:53 am
Location: Aloha, Oregon USA

Re: 3B+ dead (?) after plugging camera to display port

Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:09 pm

Penaf wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:11 pm
Kind of weird as there's no protection against this as I'd say doesn't seem a rare accident to happen since the camera and display wire strips are the same size
Do keep in mind that we're talking about a $35 computer. Some things on Raspberry Pi computers are not tolerant of ID ten T errors. The Pi is quite robust in many ways (ESD for example), but quite fragile in others (GPIO is also not very forgiving of improper connections).
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

hippy
Posts: 5091
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: UK

Re: 3B+ dead (?) after plugging camera to display port

Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:58 pm

HawaiianPi wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:09 pm
Penaf wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:11 pm
Kind of weird as there's no protection against this as I'd say doesn't seem a rare accident to happen since the camera and display wire strips are the same size
Do keep in mind that we're talking about a $35 computer. Some things on Raspberry Pi computers are not tolerant of ID ten T errors. The Pi is quite robust in many ways (ESD for example), but quite fragile in others (GPIO is also not very forgiving of improper connections).
The PMIC on the 3B+ is supposed to have over-current and short-circuit protection which should help mitigate these sort of mistakes. Why it sometimes doesn't is something which the Foundation are investigating. And it's not always possible to protect against all kinds of mistakes.

User avatar
Imperf3kt
Posts: 2197
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:16 am
Location: Australia

Re: 3B+ dead (?) after plugging camera to display port

Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:07 pm

hippy wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:58 pm
HawaiianPi wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:09 pm
Penaf wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:11 pm
Kind of weird as there's no protection against this as I'd say doesn't seem a rare accident to happen since the camera and display wire strips are the same size
Do keep in mind that we're talking about a $35 computer. Some things on Raspberry Pi computers are not tolerant of ID ten T errors. The Pi is quite robust in many ways (ESD for example), but quite fragile in others (GPIO is also not very forgiving of improper connections).
The PMIC on the 3B+ is supposed to have over-current and short-circuit protection which should help mitigate these sort of mistakes. Why it sometimes doesn't is something which the Foundation are investigating. And it's not always possible to protect against all kinds of mistakes.
I think you mean it's supposed to tolerate shorting 3v3 to ground, according to the data sheet, at least.
Just clarifying because the way you wrote it makes it sound like plugging a cable into the wrong port, which the Pi has practically no protection against (most electronics don't)
Google is ubiquitous - Try it today, it's free!
https://opensource.com/life/16/10/how-ask-technical-questions

User avatar
rpdom
Posts: 14063
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 5:17 am
Location: Chelmsford, Essex, UK

Re: 3B+ dead (?) after plugging camera to display port

Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:07 pm

Imperf3kt wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:07 pm
hippy wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:58 pm
[The PMIC on the 3B+ is supposed to have over-current and short-circuit protection which should help mitigate these sort of mistakes. Why it sometimes doesn't is something which the Foundation are investigating. And it's not always possible to protect against all kinds of mistakes.
I think you mean it's supposed to tolerate shorting 3v3 to ground, according to the data sheet, at least.
Just clarifying because the way you wrote it makes it sound like plugging a cable into the wrong port, which the Pi has practically no protection against (most electronics don't)
It is supposed to cope with the 3.3V being shorted to ground. At least some of the reported failures have been when the 3.3V output is shorted to the 5V line.

However, as stated, it is under investigation.
Signature is on holiday.

hippy
Posts: 5091
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: UK

Re: 3B+ dead (?) after plugging camera to display port

Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:48 pm

Imperf3kt wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:07 pm
I think you mean it's supposed to tolerate shorting 3v3 to ground, according to the data sheet, at least.
Just clarifying because the way you wrote it makes it sound like plugging a cable into the wrong port, which the Pi has practically no protection against (most electronics don't)
A hard short to ground would be an extreme it would be expected to mitigate but there's a range of fault conditions the PMIC appears intended to mitigate, and it would seem one of those conditions has occurred if the PMIC has consequently failed or borked itself and no longer powering the Pi.

One would have to determine exactly what the failure mode was, what the consequences of inserting the cable in the wrong socket would likely be, to determine why the PMIC did not prevent that damage, has failed or bricked itself, or whether it could or should have done something else.

Return to “Troubleshooting”