smac

Sourcing cheaper monitors in developing countries

Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:25 am

Hi all! I am building a pi-powered computer lab in South Sudan but am having issues finding affordable computer monitors. I have donated monitors in the USA but to ship them would be very expensive - ~$3,000-$4,000 to ship 30 monitors. The local prices for monitors are estimate to be about $150 which would also be about $4,500 to purchase them locally. How are other projects getting their monitors when building Raspberry Pi computer labs? Thanks!

bmt03

Re: Sourcing cheaper monitors in developing countries

Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:04 pm

I am also interested in doing something like this. Is there a cheaper solution than big traditional monitors? Maybe some sort of 13" or 15" LCD?

donod2

Re: Sourcing cheaper monitors in developing countries

Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:55 am

Hello,

I am in the US and work with a couple of local companies that donate monitors as they switch out to new ones. I also work with a local group that ships on a container to Haiti that cost me roughly $3.50 to $5 a cubic foot. My group was given 80 older style 19" Dell, some keyboards and mice that really cut my cost down.

We looked at projectors for the classrooms, but with very limited electric and everything running on solar, this is still down the road. Also taking into account the bulbs and the classrooms have a lot of light with open windows that would need to be covered and increase the heat.

I am not sure where you are or working in, but connecting with business and show them what you are working on and the goal of the project, you may get some needed supplies.

Good luck in your search.

Return to “Staffroom, classroom and projects”