Sedrickk12

Help needed with a college project

Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:02 pm

Hi, my name is sedrick and i take a performing arts technical production course at college. for this course we have to create an instillation linking to a show we are doing about social media and its affect on young people. for this instillation i was hoping to create a panel with 3 buttons on it with the question "In what way does social media affect you?" then each button would be labelled with an answer ("Positively", "does not affect me", and "Negatively"). the audience would get a chance to submit their answer before or after the show. i would like fore each button press to be recorded so at the end of the show we can collect this data and see clearly how many people pressed each button for example the results could be that the "positively" button was pressed a total of 43 times and the results for the other buttons would be displayed like this as well.

I have a raspberry pi 3 model B but am not experienced with using it and am not experienced with programming and am not sure how to wire up the buttons, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
- Sedrick

pcmanbob

Re: Help needed with a college project

Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:01 pm

Hi.

If you are just starting out with the pi then I suggest you look at the physical computing guide to learn how you use the gpio.

https://projects.raspberrypi.org/en/pro ... -computing

and for buttons specifically this will explain pull-up/pull-downs.

https://github.com/raspberrypilearning/ ... up_down.md

there are many more examples on line if these don't float your boat, just have a look at a few till you find one you like.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

JustinWood13

Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:39 am

Sedrickk12 wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:02 pm
Hi, my name is sedrick and i take a performing arts technical production course at college. for this course we have to create an instillation linking to a show we are doing about social media and its affect on young people. for this instillation i was hoping to create a panel with 3 buttons on it with the question "In what way does social media affect you?" then each button would be labelled with an answer ("Positively", "does not affect me", and "Negatively"). the audience would get a chance to submit their answer before or after the show. i would like fore each button press to be recorded so at the end of the show we can collect this data and see clearly how many people pressed each button for example the results could be that the "positively" button was pressed a total of 43 times and the results for the other buttons would be displayed like this as well.

I have a raspberry pi 3 model B but am not experienced with using it and am not experienced with programming and am not sure how to wire up the buttons, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
- Sedrick
If you do not know how to write code using programming language of the Raspberry Pi and IDLE 3, a Python Integrated Development Environment, then you can use other Delphi with easier steps to have same results.

hippy

Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:08 am

JustinWood13 wrote:
If you do not know how to write code using programming language of the Raspberry Pi and IDLE 3, a Python Integrated Development Environment, then you can use other Delphi with easier steps to have same results.
Could you explain what and how you mean, what "other Delphi" is ?

JustinWood13

Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:46 am

hippy wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:08 am
JustinWood13 wrote:
Could you explain what and how you mean, what "other Delphi" is ?
Embarcadero delphi program. check it online. there are very easy steps to create a poll and many other things.

hippy

Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:27 pm

Unfortunately that doesn't appear to be a free product and it's not clear that the development tools runs on an ARM platform.

I am not sure how using that would be better, easier or offer any benefits over using a free Pi-based language which has platform support for doing what the OP needs to do.

Return to “Other projects”