thomsoni

Setting up a Classroom of 30 Pi's

Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:21 pm

Hi,
I'm a complete novice to this but have 30 Pi's that we want to use as a python programming lab separate from our main network. We have a wireless router and a temporary laptop with Debian x86 installed (that if successful will be replaced by a more appropriate machine) to act as a server.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a guide on how to connect everything up?

My idea is to initially store all files centrally to avoid the need for highly portable memory cards and then see where we can go from there.

Advice/ideas all welcome.

Thanks

Iain

fruitoftheloom

Re: Setting up a Classroom of 30 Pi's

Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:28 pm

thomsoni wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:21 pm
Hi,
I'm a complete novice to this but have 30 Pi's that we want to use as a python programming lab separate from our main network. We have a wireless router and a temporary laptop with Debian x86 installed (that if successful will be replaced by a more appropriate machine) to act as a server.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a guide on how to connect everything up?

My idea is to initially store all files centrally to avoid the need for highly portable memory cards and then see where we can go from there.

Advice/ideas all welcome.

Thanks

Iain

http://pinet.org.uk

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/piserver/
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Stretch.

incognitum

Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:44 pm

Note that the steps about enabling network boot on the client Pi's is only needed on older Pi 3 (without the +), and can be skipped if they are model 3B+

On your laptop, just go to the start menu -> "Preferences" -> "PiServer"
and follow instructions.

==

Oh, and you need a network switch and cables.
Wireless will not do.

thomsoni

Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:43 am

Thank you for the information, really helpful... just need to find switches and rewire the room again :? :cry: thought we could get away with wireless.

incognitum

Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:12 pm

thomsoni wrote:
thought we could get away with wireless.
That's not going to work for booting.
Although technically you could have operating system files on SD card, but store user's files (home directory) on a central server over wifi.

Will always be a lot less reliable than cable though, and you then need a solution to prevent SD cards disappearing.
So not really recommended.

Gbaman

Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:02 pm

thomsoni wrote:
Thank you for the information, really helpful... just need to find switches and rewire the room again :? :cry: thought we could get away with wireless.
Unfortunately both solutions (PiServer and PiNet) require a half decent wired network. In the case of PiNet, all the details on the hardware required (including a hardware specifics video) can be found over on the hardware page - http://pinet.org.uk/articles/installation/hardware.html
One of the ways you can save a bit of money is the Raspberry Pis themselves are really only able to make use of 10/100mbit/s networking, so network switches with at least a single gigabit port (sometimes called a stacking port), can be used with your server plugged into that port and all the Pis on the slower ports. Little more lengthy description though of that all is over on the PiNet hardware page.

Plus, I would add be cautious of jumping straight to sd-card-less booting, it had a number of issues with the Pi 3s (fixed with Pi 3B+) where a number of different brands of networking switches could cause unreliability (or simply wouldn't work).
Lead developer of PiNet, a free and opensource centralised user accounts and file storage system for Raspberry Pi classrooms used in over 200 schools across the world.
http://pinet.org.uk

DougieLawson

Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:36 pm

If you're sticking with SDCard booting and ethernet only, then there's no point buying thirty 3B+ raspberries (you don't need the on-board WiFi). Save some money and buy thirty 2Bs. The later models have the newer processor like a 3B.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a hippy & doctor free zone.

rpdom

Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:37 am

DougieLawson wrote:
The later models have the newer processor like a 3B.
But run slower, although that can be changed. Even then they won't have the better heat and power management that the 3B+ has.

bensimmo

Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:27 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
If you're sticking with SDCard booting and ethernet only, then there's no point buying thirty 3B+ raspberries (you don't need the on-board WiFi). Save some money and buy thirty 2Bs. The later models have the newer processor like a 3B.
I don't think you save (if you can find them), they are the same price at Farnell, only the 3B is a few pound cheaper.
And from a quick look, nowhere else has them in stock.

Setting up a Pi network, with PiServer makes you yern for the days of T connectors and coax for a tidy easy setup, rather than the jungle of cables with a hub based system. So much wire and cables wasted ;-).

rpdom

Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:40 pm

bensimmo wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:27 pm
Setting up a Pi network, with PiServer makes you yern for the days of T connectors and coax for a tidy easy setup, rather than the jungle of cables with a hub based system. So much wire and cables wasted ;-).
Then someone disconnects the cable from the T on one machine and the whole network dies. :shock:
(yes, I had a cow-orker move a PC from one office building to another and took the cable with them, leaving an un-terminated cable in the old office).

donod2

Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:31 am

Hello, I am fairly new to the Raspberry PI's as well.

I started off with the RPI when I thought I was going to use it with my amateur radio. 2 weeks later I was knee deep into a project for a school my wife and I are working with in Haiti. At the current time. I have 14 desktops up and running on wifi. There is also 1 French content server and 1 file server that wired to the router and seems to help quite a bit. I have 2 additional RPI that are not connected due to desk space. Each desktop has 2 login options, 1 for students and 1 for teachers that the admin logs in and out each class. I choose to go with a Linksys router and use Wifi. I thought about PInet but I need another computer onsite but would have to have backups that can be swapped quickly and a switch with eth cables, which all adds to the power problem. The desktops run off of microSD cards and the servers use a 120gb SSD. I have a stand alone USB writer that will do USB, SD, Micro, SSD fairly quick. I chose to go this route for ease and everything is run on solar panels and AGM batteries, so I crunch watts like pennies. I have 14 spare SD and 2 extra SSD close to the school just in case. Most if not all do not all of the students do not have any experience, so the desktop is pretty basic with the Libre office , browsers and a few other programs. I have a few people that are windows computer savvy and tacking college courses in IT to teach the class 2 days a week and on Saturday during a kids club for this school year. Before the next school year, we will install 6 more RPI and power up the other 2 on site. Our goal is to have about 24 RPI in the class with 2 for teachers to use with the students. Once everyone is acclimated, then we can look at individual logins. We plan to gradually add more content and build on the skills. If I were doing this in the US, it would be a lot different, but I am dealing with a much harsher environment and harder to get to.

B.Goode

Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:06 pm

Thank you for contributing your experiences. I have made no intentional change to your text but have taken the liberty of adding some vertical white space to aid readability.
donod2 wrote:

I started off with the RPI when I thought I was going to use it with my amateur radio. 2 weeks later I was knee deep into a project for a school my wife and I are working with in Haiti.

At the current time. I have 14 desktops up and running on wifi. There is also 1 French content server and 1 file server that wired to the router and seems to help quite a bit. I have 2 additional RPI that are not connected due to desk space. Each desktop has 2 login options, 1 for students and 1 for teachers that the admin logs in and out each class.

I choose to go with a Linksys router and use Wifi. I thought about PInet but I need another computer onsite but would have to have backups that can be swapped quickly and a switch with eth cables, which all adds to the power problem.

The desktops run off of microSD cards and the servers use a 120gb SSD. I have a stand alone USB writer that will do USB, SD, Micro, SSD fairly quick. I chose to go this route for ease and everything is run on solar panels and AGM batteries, so I crunch watts like pennies. I have 14 spare SD and 2 extra SSD close to the school just in case.

Most if not all do not all of the students do not have any experience, so the desktop is pretty basic with the Libre office , browsers and a few other programs. I have a few people that are windows computer savvy and tacking college courses in IT to teach the class 2 days a week and on Saturday during a kids club for this school year.

Before the next school year, we will install 6 more RPI and power up the other 2 on site. Our goal is to have about 24 RPI in the class with 2 for teachers to use with the students. Once everyone is acclimated, then we can look at individual logins. We plan to gradually add more content and build on the skills.

If I were doing this in the US, it would be a lot different, but I am dealing with a much harsher environment and harder to get to.

ejolson

Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:10 pm

donod2 wrote:
I chose to go this route for ease and everything is run on solar panels and AGM batteries, so I crunch watts like pennies.
Thanks for posting your experiences. I would have thought wired networking would be more energy efficient than WiFi because there is no need to power all the WiFi radio transmitters. Did you actually measure how much electricity is consumed using either alternative?
Last edited by ejolson on Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

donod2

Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:32 pm

This was not on my radar for the organization I am with. However, it went quickly with the little time I had to get all the materials together and shipped and make the initial install easy as possible.

I did not measure with and without Wifi. With wifi enabled, the meter on the inverter shows 276 watts @ 3.2 amps AC running 14 desktops using 14 older Dell 19" monitors at 50% or less brightness & contrast (which was a huge power savings). The RPI are in C4-Labs 6 port Bramble box with 3x 50mm fans which is really needed, and an Anker 6 port USB power hub.

When I installed the system in January, we had 8 to maybe 10 hours of electric over the course of 10 days, so we are 100% solar and checking both options makes sense when crunching watts and growing the class.

walash

Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:26 pm

hello,

could you provide more details about the solar setup to power this lab? i'm interested in a such a project using only RPIs B+s and Pinet or PiServer for a lab of 20 students and 1 teacher. If you have a source for the solar hardware please share as well.
Thanks

Return to “Staffroom, classroom and projects”