Beavis

Can hardware be the cause of what looks a like software bug?

Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:00 pm

I have downloaded 2018-11-13 Stretch and used the new version of Etcher to flash a 16GB microSD card. Upon first power-up, I do "sudo apt-get update" and "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade". I can pair a Bluetooth Speaker by clicking the Bluetooth icon in the system tray, selecting "Add device..." from the menu, waiting for my device to appear, selecting it and clicking the "Pair" button. I am then notified that pairing is successful.

After seeing several posts say that Bluetooth audio works very well with Chromium, I always used music on YouTube as the audio source when dealing with Bluetooth. I used HDMI for sending the music (along with the video signal) to my TV where I can see and hear the stream fine. I then right-click on the Speaker Icon in the system tray, which pops up a menu that has 3 options to choose from (Analog, HDMI, and my Bluetooth Speaker), and I click on my Bluetooth Speaker. My Bluetooth Speaker connects and indicates that it is connected, but no sound. Instead, the music video keeps on playing on my TV without interruption. Since I have nothing plugged into the analog jack on the RPi3, switching from "HDMI" to "Analog" kills the sound as would be expected. The sound then resumes when switching from "Analog" back to "HDMI". But whenever my Bluetooth Speaker`connects (either from "Analog" or "HDMI"), the sound (or silence) doesn't change.

I have used 2 different devices as Bluetooth Speakers (both of which work fine with either a smartTV or PC transmitting), but neither make any sound when I use my RPi3. I know they connect successfully because one has an LED which turns on, and because I can hear the other one say "connected" in the ear buds. I also know that the onboard Bluetooth on the Rpi3 works because I can use my Bluetooth mouse and my Bluetooth keyboard (both at the same time).

I have repeated this entire process three times, starting with a fresh download each time, but still no sound. I didn't set up or install anything before trying Bluetooth the last two times. But now what happens is the Bluetooth Icon in the system tray has zero width, making it invisible. It's still there between the Network Icon and the Speaker Icon because I can still click it and the menu pops up, but only if I move the mouse pointer to just the right sliver of screen between the other two icons. I'm starting to think I might have a hardware problem on the RPi3 board, because of how persistent the problem is and because I've been scouring these forums and also at the Raspberry Pi Stack Exchange thingy (I DARE NOT call it a FORUM!!!!), and I haven't found anyone with this problem. If it were caused by an OS bug, I would expect to see lots of people with the same problem.

I have seen many posts and tutorials use the CLI to get Bluetooth audio to work, but since the GUI can now (supposedly) enable Bluetooth audio "out of the box", and is so much simpler that the CLI, I have not tried using the CLI anymore. Since the GUI functionality is still rather new, I haven't seen a whole lot on the process; I assume that not much news means not many problems. So I'm getting to the point where I'm suspecting some kind of bizarre hardware conspiracy theory is to blame! If it's not hardware, then why am I the only one having this nightmare? I've even begun to consider putting a circle of chicken bones around my Pi!
Last edited by Beavis on Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DougieLawson

Re: Can hardware be the cause of what looks a like software bug?

Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:06 pm

Bizarre hardware things are usually due to a weedy power supply that isn't up to the job.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a hippy & doctor free zone.

DarkPlatinum

Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:24 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:06 pm
Bizarre hardware things are usually due to a weedy power supply that isn't up to the job.
First, ask what type of power supply he has.
1 * Raspberry Pi Zero W, 1 * Raspberry Pi 2, 1 * Raspberry Pi 3 1 * Raspberry Pi 3B + :mrgreen:

Check Out My Raspberry Site (Run on a Raspberry Pi 3B :) ): Https://Html.dynu.net

Beavis

Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:22 pm

DougieLawson wrote: ↑
Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:06 am

First, ask what type of power supply he has.

I have a few power supplies for the RPi3, depending on where it's being used. The one in my room gets used most: ASUS AD83531 5V 2.0A My DIY case used the power adapter that came with a D-LINK DIR-615 router. Those were 5V units and I think it was 2.5A, but possibly 2.0A (PCB was removed from the original housing, so I can't check the label). The one I use on the patio I stuffed into a junction box inside the wall so I don't have a make/model but it this one is a good sized, sturdy unit, also 5V 2.0A

All of these I adapters at one time went through my 'vetting" process (being scrutinize with a DMM for voltage and another DMM for current). The voltages varied from about 4.85/4.9 to about 5.2/5.25 and never drew much more than 1 amp

I've heard (read) about problems with saggy supplies, but I think those would hang or crash the RPi, or cause WiFi to drop out. I'm sure there are lots of other ways cheap power supplies could cause trouble, but making the Blutooth Icon invisible (disappear)I don't think can be a coincidnece (or perhaps not!, Ive seen stranger things). What's killing me, however, is that I did a brand new download and flash three times now and keep getting the same issues

Return to “Troubleshooting”