sayhello

Where would you recommend me to store a Keepass file?

Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:20 pm

dear Raspberry-Pi-Experts;

Where to store a Keepass password file?

Usually I have my personal documents in my cloud account - but i am not sure if this is safe. Would it be safe to use the cloud for this file?
But what can i do with the KeePass password file, there are several arguments to decide where to store it.

In my humble opinion, if the passwords are really, really important to someone, one should make the decision based on:

- The risk of the file being hacked - what can we do if we consider to get hacked
- The risk of losing the file because of having a bad hdd - what do you do if you face disk errors. And sure thing -. there are more things to think
- there may be more and other risks - which one do you take into consideration"?

summary: above all - some final considerations: well - i find it hard to tell you what is the best location. I personally think that it depends on several circumstances: What would you do - where do you store your keepass- password file!?

DirkS

Re: Where would you recommend me to store a Keepass file?

Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:35 pm

sayhello wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:20 pm
Usually I have my personal documents in my cloud account - but i am not sure if this is safe. Would it be safe to use the cloud for this file?
But what can i do with the KeePass password file, there are several arguments to decide where to store it.

In my humble opinion, if the passwords are really, really important to someone, one should make the decision based on:

- The risk of the file being hacked - what can we do if we consider to get hacked
- The risk of losing the file because of having a bad hdd - what do you do if you face disk errors. And sure thing -. there are more things to think
- there may be more and other risks - which one do you take into consideration"?

summary: above all - some final considerations: well - i find it hard to tell you what is the best location. I personally think that it depends on several circumstances: What would you do - where do you store your keepass- password file!?
The Keepass db is encrypted so it depends on whether you trust the strength of the encryption. The security also depends on the access method(s) you choose (key, key file, a combination of these, ...)
I use Keepass on my Windows PC and on 2 Android devices. I store it in Dropbox (so it's on my PC and online). On my Android devices I also set that it's available off-line.
And the file also is part of my regular backups on the PC. There is very little chance that it disappears from all these locations.

Return to “Off topic discussion”