Devilaether

Re: STICKY: Introduce yourself!

Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:17 pm

Greetings! I'm Scott, and I'm a Twitch streamer. I'm currently building a studio space to record and stream gaming content. I'm pretty new to Raspberry Pi, so I'm trying to educate myself on its uses in my project.

graphicw

Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:50 pm

I have already been on this forum for a while, but never really introduced myself properly. My name is Brion Davis, I live in Hurricane, WV and work at a Veterans Hospital. I have been into computers since the Commodore 64 days and throughout the Amiga days. I remember back when AOL was originally Quantum Link. Lol I also remember Compuserve and the old GEnie online services and when the WWW was text only and browsed with Lynx using Gopher as the defacto search engine.

I also enjoyed the PC days and remember the Tandy 1000 and 2000 like yesterday. I enjoyed DOS and and Windows 3.1 but disliked the future versions of Windows. I was using Linux far before it was popular and my experience with Linux goes well back into the 90's back to the beginning. I also even have Unix experience which is even further back using shell accounts to get online with Commodore 64 and 128 computers back in the day. I even have owned the even older VIC 20 system and used it.

Having been in the field since such early times, I tend to view modern computers as quite unlimited, including the Raspberry Pi. I see modern code for the most part as being very sloppy. The garbage that is out there now would never have worked back when Processors were 8 bit and ran at just over 1 MHz (6502). Many resources are wasted these days and if code was as tight as it used to be, it would baffle one's mind at even what a low spec modern computer could do.

I have owned Coleco Vision, Atari, NES, Super NES, Sega Genesis and all the classic systems. I love retro gaming of course. The story lines of the old games are beyond the junk that you see selling now. So much more effort was put into it back in the days getting them to work on such limited systems and the story lines were far more skillfully written. Most of the this crap you see these days is spit out as fast as possible to earn as much money as can be made with the least bit of effort put into optimization. It is shocking how many PS4 titles I have seen absolutely choke the system when it should have the resources to run them. Lol

I hope to be a valuable member here and hope to learn as well as assist where I can. I have been enjoying this forum quite well so far and the Pi has given me that old time computing feeling again. Glad to be here with all of you.

NMSolutions

Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:49 pm

hello pi people. This is gonna be a new experience for me. 20+ yrs in the auto industry. 7 yrs in the commercial/industrial contruction(roof systems) I took 2 yrs of electronics in high school. So I will be leaning on you all and my kids for doing this project. So the reason I am here. I decided to follow a path that has been on my mind since I was a kid. Tow truck driving, I know its kinda wierd. So talking to some people, the systems they use for trucks, is an adequate system. My problem is there is only so much room in a truck. I want to build one of the new pi4, with a back up camera. I will have other stuff on the pi4 also. But this will be my primary objective. Thanks.

MrShadowCat

Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:49 pm

Hi everyone, I’d love to make friends,i am 35 and have been into linux and some programming since 2000.
I’ve only just got my pi today for Retropie purposes,but epileptic seizures have destroyed everything I knew so I am looking at a pi,like your average person does-it’s piece of hardware (but a glorious piece that is) it’s a pi 2 I think,at a guess I can find out more information.

I will be upgrading the case at some point.
please have a bit of patienceI have classic autismandIntellectual disability.🐠

samosa

Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:58 pm

I’m Sam, a long time lurker mainly been using a pi2b ( now converted to a adb-s receiver) but decided to sign up after buying a pi4 as I was seeing weird behaviour but before posting for help read the endless amounts of stickies and found it was normal.

I live and work in London and also use pi to help with my job in big data.

FucaBala

Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:40 pm

Hello guys,

I'm a 39 years old Brazilian now living in London.

I met the Pi for thet first-time a couple of weeks ago when a friend showed an NES emulator he built on top of it.

I liked the idea and just bought my first Pi4, which should be arriving in a couple of days.

I have some Linux knowledge (used to work with Linux server administration 15 years ago) and I'm currently focusing on AI-related projects.

I know how to code in both Python (not an expert but can do some stuff), T-SQL and ABAP.

Now I'm looking to start playing around with C++ as well.

Cheers guys.

larow

Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:36 pm

Hello,

I am Charles. I have been on the Pi wagon since pi1 B version.

I am a part time enthusiast for pi related items, electronics, music, and wood working.

Just upgraded from pi3 to pi4... Working out the kinks...

:)

senpaidev

Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:49 pm

Hi, I'm senpaidev. I've always wanted to have a pi of my own ever since it was launched. Initially it was not available in my country and eventually when it was I didn't have the money or permission from the family to get it. Fast forward couple of years I completed my bachelors and got a job, I was so close to making a jump and getting a pi 3b+ when I heard a rumor that a much better pi 4 is in works and I should wait. My manager had a 3B+ and he did allow me to play a bit with it, and actually he was the one who asked me to wait. I waited and about 2 months back I was finally able to 4GB variant of the pi 4b. Having been playing with it for about a month now, have set up a pi hole and want to set up a minecraft server as well. My original goal was to set up my own password manager on it instead of relying on some 3rd party provider. For all of this, I feel a 64 bit kernel would be the best. Raspbian does offer an option but right now I just want to experiment. Waiting for Ubuntu Mate releases TBH. I've been an Ubuntu user since the 10.04 days. If it gets a bit too long or I grow impatient I might jump and user Arch or Gentoo. Anyways thats who I am. :)

oicfar

Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:29 pm

Hi,

I'm Rafal. Working sice 1999 as Java Backend Developer. I sommer I got my first Pi 3 B+. On this Pi I istalled pi-hole and some monitoring stuff (TICK stack). And it makes phun. As I saw Pi 4 then I had the idea to build own Pi Cluster. Some weeks later my cluster is ready.
Attachments
pi_cluster2_small.jpg
pi_cluster2_small.jpg (56.2 KiB) Viewed 665 times
pi_cluster_small.jpg
pi_cluster_small.jpg (101.3 KiB) Viewed 665 times

Alex159753

Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:31 am

Hello I am New here. this forum Is a great place to discuss :D

AdamStanislav

Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:01 pm

mossab wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:31 pm
i do not understand everything
Does anybody? ;)

splangie

Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:21 am

Hey Piheads,

I got a Pi B in the first batch of pre-orders and then a 2 and a couple 3s. My original is being preserved as a museum piece in a sealed sarcophagus. The 2 runs as a pi-hole, one of 3s records all the critters in the back patio and the new four is perusing the net, plexing, watching OTA, monitoring the pi-hole and remoting into any other pc in the house, all at the same time. Bloody incredible. I spent about 100 bucks for the 4GB plus accessories and thought that was a bit much for a Rpi, but after further eval., I think it was worth it. I got the Micro Connectors fan/sink and the Pi Case but it overheats with the fan running if the case cover is on fairly quickly when you have a bunch of stuff going. The stress test sends it way up real quick if the cover is on. Take the cover off and as long as the fan is running the stress doesn't send the cpu temp over 68. So I recommend either getting a case with really good ventilation or drilling some holes if they aren't there already.

Cheers!

Oldguy

Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:16 am

Real name is Mike. First learned programming (FORTRAN) in 1973, using a keypunch machine, on an IBM 370. I’ve since updated to an RPi 4 and Python. I’m planning to build a music server as my first RPi project.

Cheers,

silent25r

Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:18 am

New guy here. Just trying to learn what I need to learn what I need with each step. Trying to take it all on with knowledge alone just leaves me sitting still. So I'm attempting a learn as you go. So far so good. But I'm going to rename this learn as you go process to "stumble your way to success". It hasn't been as smooth sailing as I hoped. Hoping that being apart of a community will make the falls in this journey a little less painful.

ArsoMartinera

Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:01 pm

Hi, my name's Arso, i'm From Paris and i'm new in here, glad to be among this community

splangie

Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:12 pm

Oldguy wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:16 am
Real name is Mike. First learned programming (FORTRAN) in 1973, using a keypunch machine, on an IBM 370. I’ve since updated to an RPi 4 and Python. I’m planning to build a music server as my first RPi project.

Cheers,
From a 370 to a Pi 4. That was quite a step! ;+) They sure are fun. I had to drill 107 holes in my case and add a cpu sink/fan to keep it cool enough. And it still overheats running the stress test, clocked at 1800. I might have to deisgn a custom open loop water cooling system for it. Actually, I have better things to do.

I did find this the other day -
https://www.seeedstudio.com/ICE-Tower-C ... -4097.html

Cheers!

DougieLawson

Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:30 pm

splangie wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:12 pm

From a 370 to a Pi 4.
With Hercules and MVS 3.8, you can emulate the S/370 on a Raspberry. If you re-compile Hercules with the gcc optimisation flags on an RPi you'll have a machine that's faster than the mainframe I was using in 1981 when I started.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Oldguy

Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:36 pm

Re: S/370 emulation

While I do not regret the past, I have no wish to repeat it - especially the part with punch cards. ;)

Cheers,

pquinn777

Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:06 am

Hi all,
I'm Paul from MA (USA). I'm new to the Raspberry Pi scene but was very impressed from what I saw at a local robotics demonstration. At the moment I'm using a few Pi3s to setup some PiHoles for myself and some relatives. Moving forward I'm hoping to setup a magic mirror, a retro gaming station and hopefully get into some robotics. It's been a while since I've used linux so I'm very rusty but looking forward to the challenge. I look forward to talking to you all more. :D

splangie

Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:01 pm

pquinn777 wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:06 am
Hi all,
I'm Paul from MA (USA). I'm new to the Raspberry Pi scene but was very impressed from what I saw at a local robotics demonstration. At the moment I'm using a few Pi3s to setup some PiHoles for myself and some relatives. Moving forward I'm hoping to setup a magic mirror, a retro gaming station and hopefully get into some robotics. It's been a while since I've used linux so I'm very rusty but looking forward to the challenge. I look forward to talking to you all more. :D
Welcome. I have been running a Pi-Hole for a while now and really like the heck out of it. It takes a little fiddling to get the block, black and white lists exactly how they need to be but it is very easy and well worth it. You can use an old low end RPi for the hole so don't think you need a 4 or even a 3. The 4 is fast enough to do most tasks for folks and I guess they could probably work as complete replacement for 95% or more of all computer users, since the vast majority just surf, stream, instaface, midriff and look for free torrents.

Cheers!

aNdy/AL/Cosine

Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:56 pm

I'm Andy! Been meaning to get myself a Pi for a while but been busy. Finally took the plunge a couple of months ago and enjoying exploring it with my Grandson. We're using Rasbian for a few things at the moment but also have a Retropie card to slot in for some old gaming.

Going to get a few more Raspberry Pi's as well. Thinking of using one for a web server or similar, maybe a home file server and another for some kind of digital signage in work.

As for me, I'm active in the C64 scene. I'm a gfx, sfx and code monkey for Cosine (http://www.cosine.org.uk) and Arkanix Labs (http://www.arkanixlabs.com). I also code in PureBasic and have done a few applications and demos.

Some links to find out more about me (as if you're interested!)...

https://csdb.dk/scener/?id=6404 (my C64 scene profile page)
https://andyvaisey.blogspot.com/ (my projects blog)
https://twitter.com/andyvaisey (me on Twitter)
https://soundcloud.com/andy-al-cosine (my SoundCloud page)
https://github.com/aNdy-vSy (my GitHub page)
https://pastebin.com/u/aNdy-AL-Cosine (my stuff on PasteBin)

Regards
aNdy/AL/Cosine
http://www.cosine.org.uk
http://www.arkanixlabs.com

rssinghrohit

Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:54 am

Hi, I am Rohit. I live in Delhi. I like solving technical problems and helping people.

Bardak

Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:40 am

Greetings from Italy!
I'm Adriano. I'm quite new of this linux device, but I love its compactness and easiness to use for little daily home projects.
I designed a little desk for experiments, using an old PC power supply. It take a very long time but now it is finished. Here it is.

Hello to all!
Attachments
Arpy_2.jpg
Arpy_2.jpg (78.66 KiB) Viewed 20 times
Arpy_1.jpg
Arpy_1.jpg (91.32 KiB) Viewed 20 times

Return to “General discussion”