altaylor

PiServer setup

Tue May 01, 2018 11:10 am

Hi,

Not sure if this is the correct forum, but I am trying to set up PiServer , for a lab with 10 pi's. I have uploaded Raspbian Stretch lite to the Pi's and checked it. I have booted a windows PC from USB with Raspbian Desktop. When I try to use the wizard I can connect the pi directly to the PC and it's MAC address comes up, but no Network interface, or I can get a network interface, but the MAC address does not come up. If I try to connect through a switch I only get network interface and no MAC address.

Anybody else come across this problem? I am trying to build this stand alone at the moment, so not sure if this has any effect.

Thanks

fruitoftheloom

Re: PiServer setup

Tue May 01, 2018 11:25 am

altaylor wrote:
Hi,

Not sure if this is the correct forum, but I am trying to set up PiServer , for a lab with 10 pi's. I have uploaded Raspbian Stretch lite to the Pi's and checked it. I have booted a windows PC from USB with Raspbian Desktop. When I try to use the wizard I can connect the pi directly to the PC and it's MAC address comes up, but no Network interface, or I can get a network interface, but the MAC address does not come up. If I try to connect through a switch I only get network interface and no MAC address.

Anybody else come across this problem? I am trying to build this stand alone at the moment, so not sure if this has any effect.

Thanks

With PiServer the Raspberry Pi 2Bv1.2 / 3B / 3B+ are Network Booted Clients, whereas the x86 Machine running Debian Stretch with RPD is the Server:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/piserver/

piserver.png

You may also wish to look at PiNet which is more classroom orientated:

http://pinet.org.uk
Last edited by fruitoftheloom on Tue May 01, 2018 11:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Buster.
Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1

B.Goode

Tue May 01, 2018 11:27 am

Are you actually working with "Debian with Raspberry Pi Desktop - the Foundation’s operating system for PC and Mac." https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/r ... i-desktop/

If so there is a subforum for that purpose - you might like to Report your original post and ask a Moderator to relocate it.

I can't give you chapter and verse, but I have a feeling that there is a prior discussion about this that came to the conclusion that the PiServer utility needs the server operating system to be directly installed on the server hardware, not running from a live CD or USB stick?

mikerr

Tue May 01, 2018 12:43 pm

altaylor wrote:
I have booted a windows PC from USB with Raspbian Desktop.
That's your first problem. PiServer only works once installed on the PC's HDD.
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

Return to “Staffroom, classroom and projects”