maddhatter43

Formatting SD Card

Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:48 pm

When I write open elec to my SD card my computer is asking me to format the card again. I have already done this! Any ideas? Thank you.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Formatting SD Card

Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:55 pm

Ignore stupid windows. DO NOT FORMAT THE SD-CARD WITH WINDOWS!

Only use the official sd-card formatting program, and do a full format.
If you are having trouble with formatting, simply avoid the need to format, and use Etcher to image your card.
follow the instructions on imaging your card with Raspbian.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... /README.md

gkaiseril

Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:14 pm

This is a result of Windows not understanding the Unix Ext file system. Just ignore it. If you can, use a Linux/Unix system to format the disk. As noted if one uses etcher to image the SD card there is no need for formatting.
f u cn rd ths, u cn gt a gd jb n cmptr prgrmmng.

RaspISteve

Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:52 pm

Guys,
I've had a problem with the SD-Formater program in that it can act strangely (runs very sluggishly) if the target SD card's formating has got broken. I found that a WIndows "Quick" format got the SD card organised enough for SD-Formater to run correctly.

Similarly with Etcher (on Unbuntu). If the target SD card's format is stuffed in any way it won't recognise it (certainly the OS won't recognise it enough to let Etcher see it) as something it can write an image to. It was simpler for me to Quick format on Windows then SD-Format it before using the ZIP file with Etcher on my Unbuntu system.
Share and Enjoy.

fruitoftheloom

Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:49 pm

RaspISteve wrote:
Guys,
I've had a problem with the SD-Formater program in that it can act strangely (runs very sluggishly) if the target SD card's formating has got broken. I found that a WIndows "Quick" format got the SD card organised enough for SD-Formater to run correctly.

Similarly with Etcher (on Unbuntu). If the target SD card's format is stuffed in any way it won't recognise it (certainly the OS won't recognise it enough to let Etcher see it) as something it can write an image to. It was simpler for me to Quick format on Windows then SD-Format it before using the ZIP file with Etcher on my Unbuntu system.

Linux gparted is a better tool for drives ;)
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

jahboater

Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:32 pm

RaspISteve wrote:
If you are on Ubuntu, then you can just use "cp" (as in "cp xxxx.img /dev/sdx" ) of course you have to unzip it first, but the Linux unzip works. All you are doing is copying a file!

If you are using etcher, dd, or cp with an image (.img) file you should not format the drive first, it is a waste of time, and other than the fact that it should appear in /dev (look at dmesg) nothing has to "see" the drive first.

n67

Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:45 pm

If you are on Ubuntu, then you can just use "cp" (as in "cp xxxx.img /dev/sdx" ) of course you have to unzip it first, but the Linux unzip works. All you are doing is copying a file!
I was about to say about the same thing - that if you are using Linux to make the Pi boot media, there's no reason to run Etcher (or any other third party soft). Really, the only place it makes any sense to run any third party soft is on Windows - and, incidentally, now that there is the "Windows Subsystem for Linux", maybe it isn't even necessary there...

And, no, you don't need to unzip it first. Just do:

unzip -cq raspbian_latest > /dev/sda

(or whatever - make sure you don't overwrite your "real" disk)

P.S. You can also use "-p" instead of "-cq". Same thing - one less character to type.
"L'enfer, c'est les autres"

G fytc hsqr rum umpbq rm qyw rm rfc kmbq md rfgq dmpsk:

Epmu Sn!

J lnacjrw njbruh-carppnanm vxm rb mnuncrwp vh yxbcb!

Return to “Troubleshooting”