skypi

octoprint exceeding cpu power of old pi B ?

Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:16 pm

octoprint exceeding cpu power of old pi B ?

big missing gaps in print (but yet actually can see some improvements!!!)

upgrading a dangerous thing eh!

suddenly you are kung fu expert and everyone wants to challenge you LOL!

yeah, python pops up taking 49+% of cpu when octoprint using/requiring 50+ % and top taking 2%

wish I could remember which version I was running before upgrading....

that said, this is cheapest filament, notably different! (does not snap off after a few hours stationary) let me just load up some more expensive filament and retry... (though python did pop up hogging cpu it was at end of print I noticed it)

more brittle == better ?

dimensionally the piece (after a reboot after an apt upgrade and octopi upgrade, I might not have rebooted when I should) does seem good..... could be settings in cura need changing for subtleties.... hotter print for this filament, (though I suspect peak exceeded in very short burst on old pi B, might be subtleties of cura)

reprint of piece after the reboot, nothing else changed, seems better, but still gappy in print.... though final layer consistently more open....

same reason it is not stringing is same reaon very open top layer... cool enough to stop stringing, not hot enough to spread! ???

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: octoprint exceeding cpu power of old pi B ?

Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:28 am

I really don't understand why you are ranting here. I deleted your last post on grounds of profanity - we do not accept bad language on these forums.
3D printing is a black art, and it may not be due to octoprint at all, but if you are convinced it is, I suggest you voice your concerns here :
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/octoprint

Or perhaps you just need to upgrade to the faster Pi3B......
Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

penguintutor

Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:49 pm

I've only run Octoprint on a Pi 3.

Considering a Pi3 costs about the same as 2 reels of PLA then it may be worth upgrading if you are struggling with performance running it on older hardware.

Although saying that it sounds like it may be your 3D printer as much as a problem with Octoprint.

Gavinmc42

Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:30 pm

https://octoprint.org/download/
Tiny small print -- Pi3(1)
(1)Pi3 recommended model

Swearing at a model B+ does not make it run faster.
Hardware guys at RPF designed the Pi3 to get some quiet from Eben?
Or was it the software guys making all the noise?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT8CRi9k4bo
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:20 pm

Gavinmc42 wrote:
Swearing at a model B+ does not make it run faster.
Correct.
Gavinmc42 wrote:
Hardware guys at RPF designed the Pi3 to get some quiet from Eben?
No, Eben tells us what to do, we do it.
Gavinmc42 wrote:
Or was it the software guys making all the noise?
We are too busy fixing problems in the HW to make a noise...;-)
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

mikerr

Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:51 pm

octiprint was barely ok for me on pi zero (same cpu as old pi b)

you shouldnt be getting gaps even if it pauses though

When I say ok - it could handle jobs without pausing if you left the web interface alone while printing and the timelapses took a while.
It couldnt cope with me viewing the camera live though, so I moved it to a pi3 which solved all problems.
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

skypi

Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:01 pm

An upgrade to Pi3 did not fix it.

Combination of a few factors, so difficult to pin fix

upgrade set up ffmpeg again, blank out those fields in config
automatic firmware recognition, disabled that
manual connect at 250k

could be that it is improvements in octopi have accentuated the overfeed by running desktop cura at 2.85mm filament when it is 3.1mm filament, so changed that to 3.1mm print and getting a better print.

but this is now running on pi3, maybe it will still run on a pi b, but ui much more responsive on faster pi.

print still not as good as it was before the upgrade....

just another example of make sure you can roll back from an "upgrade". Also being prepared for a lot of extra work on some upgrades.

guess an "unexpected consequences" rating would be helpful, even in debian apt, when being presented with options to upgrade this or that package.

In this instance, I think I have made settings in desktop cura that work well with the feature set of octopi/octoprint at a version level, then version changes and upstream is up-expletive-creek!

messed around upstream in desktop cura and looking better. think I will retask the old Pi B on simple sensor reading stuff! Cool!

skypi

Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:51 am

[MOD EDIT - not sure of the purpose of this rant so I've removed it, not just because of it's negative nature, but also due to hyphenated profanity, which isn't tolerated on these forums]
Texy

Return to “General discussion”