Milliways

Stretch Networking

Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:55 am

I just installed Stretch, and performed a clean install.

As expected there also appears to be a (partial?) change to predictable network interface names https://www.debian.org/releases/stretch ... face-names

The Ethernet name is now based on MAC, but continues to use wlan0 for the Wireless Interface.

There seems to be no mention of the change in the release notes, and in particular, why Wireless Interface wlan0 remains.

Is there any reason for the partial change?

RaTTuS

Re: Stretch Networking

Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:20 am

How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

Milliways

Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:24 am

I am aware of this, but I was looking for some Raspbian specific link, and specifically the reason why NOT wlan0.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:49 am

The WiFi chip is connected over sdio, not usb, this mac address naming is for usb attached devices.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

elkberry

Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:44 pm

Using the officially posted "fix" for returning to the "unstable", yet stable naming scheme by setting the appropriate symlink caused my wireless LAN interface to completely disappear. Well done.
From ZX81 to Raspberry Pi, but wait ... where's the 7805 gone?

jamesh

Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:03 am

No need for thanks, that needs to go upstream to the people in Linux land who made the change. Nothing to do with RPF.

Note also, the previous naming scheme was not stable. With two usb adaptors you could not guarantee which becomes eth0. That is why the change was made. Whether it's a good change, dunno.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

runboy93

Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:02 am

https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/q ... 7921#37921

Raspberry Pi foundation can do nothing for this problem, we need wait longer for fix :/

Martin Frezman

Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:12 am

runboy93 wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:02 am
https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/q ... 7921#37921

Raspberry Pi foundation can do nothing for this problem, we need wait longer for fix :/
The Raspbian maintainers *could* change (fix) this, by any of the 3 documented methods (*), but it is not clear that they would be ideologically compatible with doing so. Like systemd, it seems this trend is, like it or not, the future. As a mentor told me back in the 80s, the key to survival in the world of Personal Computing is "Don't buck trends".

(*) I think (emphasis on that word) that the most straightforward method would be the "cmdline.txt" method, since I would assume that that file is not controlled by "upstream", as it is RPi-specific.
If this post appears in the wrong forums category, my apologies.

epoch1970

Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:35 am

jamesh wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:03 am
Note also, the previous naming scheme was not stable. With two usb adaptors you could not guarantee which becomes eth0. That is why the change was made. Whether it's a good change, dunno.
I thought in this case you would use a udev rule and fix names according to MACs.
I'm pretty sure I did that and it was working. Was I lucky?
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

Return to “Raspbian”