ToniB

Supply Chain

Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:59 pm

Hi everyone,
I new to this, so please be gentle with me.
My company is developing a new product which includes the Raspberry Pi Zero W as a major component.
If we are as successful as we anticipate (one has to be optimistic!) we will be needing to procure thousands of these at a time, but are currently limited to one per order, which is fine for prototyping, but will be a real problem once we start production.
Our product offers a strong social benefit and we would be heartbroken if we had problems with the supply chain.
We need to start a conversation with someone about volumes, but have no idea where to begin.
We have considered alternative single board computers, but there is nothing on the market that matches the price/performance ratio.
HELP!

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Supply Chain

Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:03 pm

RPF(T) do not recommend using the Zero or ZeroW in commercial product due to the production limitations. We have the CM or indeed the Pi3 and Pi3A that have no such restrictions.

We are looking into ways on increasing production to suit industrial requirements, but this is a way away, and may not suit everyone.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

ToniB

Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:34 am

Hi again,
Thanks for that. We were already using the bigger brother/sister, for one of the components. Having certainty that the Zero W is out of the question for the smaller units, means that we have to reassess the approach... there are always multiple ways to achieve the same result. Our design is so modular that we will be able to slot it in at a later stage.
I am most grateful for your prompt reply
T

ToniB

Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:36 am

ps... can you tell me if the CM includes USB functionality?
Ta.

DougieLawson

Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:38 am

You should look at the CM1, CM3 or CM3 lite. Its reason for existing is industrial use. You can add whatever external hardware you need. That can include a SMSC9514 if you need a four port USB with ethernet.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... /README.md
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

W. H. Heydt

Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:29 pm

ToniB wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:36 am
ps... can you tell me if the CM includes USB functionality?
Ta.
The CM series exposes every interface available on the SoC. To use it, you need to design a "carrier board". If you want to test it, get a development kit. Pricey--about $150 to $200, depending on what is included--but it will get you started.

W. H. Heydt

Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:31 pm

jamesh wrote:
...Pi3A that have no such restrictions.
Is that an incipient launch announcement? (Hope springs eternal...)

CarlRJ

Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:34 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:31 pm
jamesh wrote:
...Pi3A that have no such restrictions.
Is that an incipient launch announcement? (Hope springs eternal...)
I... wondered about that too. :)

jamesh

Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:57 pm

Typo. Soz. No idea about a PI3A, meant the original A.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...

W. H. Heydt

Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:42 am

jamesh wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:57 pm
Typo. Soz. No idea about a PI3A, meant the original A.
Okay...I'll be gentle. The original A is pretty hard to get these days. You *probably* mean the A+. If so, I presume that the problem with the "smart display" companies gobbling them all up has been resolved.

jamesh

Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:10 am

Basically, I mean whatever the current A model is.

Brain is too full of other exciting future stuff to worry about what we sell at the moment!

bitbank

Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:32 pm

ToniB wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:59 pm
We have considered alternative single board computers, but there is nothing on the market that matches the price/performance ratio.
HELP!
The IoT market is constantly in flux and this statement is no longer true. I don't bring this up to take away anything from the fine work the RPF is doing, but there are commercially available boards which compete with the ZeroW. Here's one example:

https://it.aliexpress.com/store/product ... 91224fRkqJ

I've used various boards from OrangePi and they're certainly not as well supported as RPi's boards, but they do work. In general, these boards support the Linux I/O drivers for I2C, GPIO and SPI, so you have standard ways of talking to peripherals. If you're project currently depends on some Python wrapper for a RPi-specific API (e.g. PIGPIO), then you'll have to do a little coding to adapt it.
The fastest code is none at all :)

Return to “General discussion”