Re: What was your first computer?

Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:48 am

Report this postQuote
Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:22 pm

RossDv8 wrote: ↑
Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:05 pm
32 shades of green
I bet you could write a book about that experience ;)
Probably :) In 1986 we were doing signwriting with the thing. Using a colour printer in 15 inch wide fanfold printer paper. Some of our banners were 5 metres long by 15 inches wide, but I recall a few longer. Theoretically it was a proprietary package, and we were supposed t o pay through the nose for every new set of graphics or fonts. But the Yanks didn;t realise that a few of us kangaroos and emus could program.. I was still using the QX-10 for a few jobs around the turn of the century - just for fun, because it was such a beautiful thing to type on. Mainly to print shop window advertising.

Hmmm, I's best stop there or it 'will' be a book...
Pi 4B 4GB - Samsing128GB EVO plus microSD

MrShadowCat

Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:24 pm

Prometheus wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:12 am
I keep noticing this in most people's introductions, so I figured that I'd make a thread about it here in Off Topic. I've looked through the entire section, and can"t find a pre-existing topic in this vein, so…

What was your first computer?

Mine was a Commodore 64 (the later off-white coloured model), which I got when I was about five or six years old.

Whilst I never really got my head around programming (I don't have the mindset for it – I seem to struggle with learning any sort of second language, for some reason ), I learned several valuable lessons from having a computer of my own, like the need to treat things with care, the value of trying new things, and the very basics of telling a computer what to do from a command-line. The latter is what sometimes causes me to get a bit confused when I encounter people who have a fear of command-lines, as I just can't see what there is to worry about. (I didn"t really deal with GUIs until 1996, when my family got a computer with Windows 95 installed, and I remember all too well how incredibly confusing and unintuitive I found it.)

What was everyone else's?
I know I’m quoting an old post but wow,my first was the C64 and I was 5 to.
Do you/anyone remember playing frak? Kickstart? Monty the mole? ET?
I remember my family and myself going to the bowlers carboot sale in Trafford park (Manchester) a bit late and a lady had a bin bag full of c64 games and gave them to my dad for nothing.
My dad had to do the language and commands for me and I remember once he programmed it using the manual to make gunshot noises-sounded like farting though that was no gun.
please have a bit of patienceI have classic autismandIntellectual disability.🐠

RossDv8

Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:16 pm

Does anyone remember GEOS on the C64? That was my first intro to a GUI.
Pi 4B 4GB - Samsing128GB EVO plus microSD

thatchunkylad198966

Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:02 pm

A computer I properly used was a laptop for my 18th birthday with 256mb ram and running XP.
My first SBC was a Pi 2.

I'm not that old but I'm not that young.
One man's trash is another man's treasure! :) Pi's I have; Pi Zero, Pi Zero W, Pi 2 x2, Pi 3 x2, Pi 4 4GB x2.

Tikiatybme

Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:23 pm

A commodore 16 I believe, although I had used a DEC PDP 6 via teletype - timesharing with BASIC. We stored programs on punched paper tapes and all output was on a yellow roll of paper. We come a long way baby!
Thomas J Killeen PE
SBME, USA

m4xwhite

Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:40 am

My first computer was a Dell Pentium 2 Machine. I don't remember the model name exactly.

It was actually my older brother's. Belonging to a middle class family in a developing country, that was considered a privilege. lol

I can still hear the dialup sounds in my mind when I try to reminisce those days. I was only 9 years old. Used the dialup to play games on miniclip and used to paint on mspaint when there was no internet.

Those were the days lol

linyinze

Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:34 am

A used DIY PC bought from the repair shop. Runs on Windows 7 and need to unlock the machine as it is still password protected.

Return to “Off topic discussion”