edgedamage

5V @ 10 AMPS

Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:13 pm

Is that too much for the PI to handle?

Mortimer

Re: 5V @ 10 AMPS

Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:24 pm

A PSU rated at 5V,10A is capable of delivering 10A, it doesn't mean it will force 10A through whatever is connected to it. The supplied device will take what it needs, no more than that, it just can't take more than 10A.
--------------
The purpose of a little toe is to ensure you keep your furniture in the right place.

Jim JKla

Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:25 pm

That rather depends where you are going to put it is it supplying a USB hub are you planning on wiring it directly to GPIO there is this repeated problem of people wanting fixes of a psychic nature and to be fair we do try.

Normally the Ampage is an expression of how much load you can put on to your PSU (Assuming it is a PSU) before it gets to a stage where it is too hot to unplug. Usually acompanied by blue smoke and a strange burning smell.

My 7 port USB hub has a PSU rated at 6v 4Amp so I have to assume it's dropped to 5v somewhere inside. ;)
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

lapoltba

Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:34 pm

It would help if you could be a little more specific about what you were trying to do. I assume you are looking for a suitable power supply to run your Pi.

To condense what was said above....
Power supplies are rated by voltage and current. The voltage is the nominal voltage, and the current specification is the maximum amount of current that *CAN* be supplied (maintaining the nominal voltage). That being said, a power supply with the specifications you listed won't pump 10amps into your Pi. It just means that you will have 10A available to run your Pi along with a stack of USB external drives. :lol:

A word of caution: 10A is quite a bit of current for most PCB traces to handle. Yes there are fuses built into your Pi to protect it, but if there is any kind of short between the fuses and the USB connector you're going to get a big surprise.

edgedamage

Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:28 am

I was at my parents this weekend, and forgot my HP PDA wallwart which outputs 5v @ 1 amp. I used a cellphone charger which was rated at 700ma. When using a wireless mouse and a thumb drive with Xbain the HDMI kept cutting out. In my arcade machine parts boxes I found a power supply for a old game. Which I was thinking of using, but was not comfortable with.

pholy

Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:22 pm

Quote: I found a power supply for a old game. Which I was thinking of using, but was not comfortable with.

Which was wise... Aside from the voltage and current specification, the accuracy of the voltage regulation is a concern, as is the ripple voltage (an AC voltage riding on the DC from the supply). Both of these can be suspect in a power supply of unknown parentage. A good digital voltmeter and an oscilloscope are needed to check these parameters.

If you are sure of the quality of your power supply, 10 amps at 5 volts wouldn't be a problem - but a 1 amp fuse would be a good idea on the Pi's supply line.

Return to “Troubleshooting”