GekkePrutser

Any plans to lift the '1 per customer' limit on Pi Zero?

Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:44 am

Just wondering if there are any plans to lift this '1 per customer' limit. I give classes at work every few months as part of an "after hours" hacker/maker programme and the pi zero is great for this, cheap enough to simply hand out so people can bring their projects home. It's a total mess having to get everyone to order them individually because they often forget (not to mention the waste in shipping costs).

I checked all resellers internationally and they all do the same so I assume they were instructed to do this by the raspberry foundation. Wouldn't it be time to lift this limit? It's been solidly in stock for months now. It's not really a $5 computer if you need to pay at least the same in shipping. It's an ideal product to buy in bulk.

CarlRJ

Re: Any plans to lift the '1 per customer' limit on Pi Zero?

Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:30 am

GekkePrutser wrote:Wouldn't it be time to lift this limit? It's been solidly in stock for months now.
Months? "solidly"? More like a couple weeks solidly in stock, preceded by many months of "every other week for 30 minutes at some random time".
It's not really a $5 computer if you need to pay at least the same in shipping. It's an ideal product to buy in bulk.
Which other $5 Linux-based computer (with comparable specs and software/community support) do you recommend then?

At $5 the Pi Zero is pretty much being given away. The companies selling it are kind of hoping you'll buy some other items in the same order, so they can keep food on the table. It's kind of amazing that it's available at all. Most people are just happy now that they can order one without constantly watching the websites. Complaining about it seems headed towards sounding ungrateful.

W. H. Heydt

Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:53 am

CarlRJ wrote:
GekkePrutser wrote:Wouldn't it be time to lift this limit? It's been solidly in stock for months now.
Months? "solidly"? More like a couple weeks solidly in stock, preceded by many months of "every other week for 30 minutes at some random time".
Closer to a month, I'd say, but "months" is certainly an exaggeration.
It's not really a $5 computer if you need to pay at least the same in shipping. It's an ideal product to buy in bulk.
Which other $5 Linux-based computer (with comparable specs and software/community support) do you recommend then?

At $5 the Pi Zero is pretty much being given away. The companies selling it are kind of hoping you'll buy some other items in the same order, so they can keep food on the table. It's kind of amazing that it's available at all. Most people are just happy now that they can order one without constantly watching the websites. Complaining about it seems headed towards sounding ungrateful.
The supply situation has gotten good enough that it is now possible to wait until you are going to order other items anyway and just add a Pi Zero to the order, which takes the sting out of the shipping costs. On the other hand, if you are ordering from a company that stocks Pi Zeros, given the ordering limit, one is likely to add a Pi Zero to an order you making even if you don't have an immediate use for it.

My guess is that the request to limit sales to one per customer/order (MicroCenter is walk in and pick up only, but apparently they aren't sticking to the one at a time limit) will be generally relaxed some time early next year as I can imagine a Christmas rush....Pi Zeros for stocking stuffers....

SonOfAMotherlessGoat

Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:21 am

GekkePrutser wrote:It's not really a $5 computer if you need to pay at least the same in shipping. It's an ideal product to buy in bulk.
It's also not really a $5USD computer if you need to access it in any way. Add mini-HDMI to HDMI via cable or adapter if you want to see anything, plus the keyboard/mouse. Or if you instead want to go headless, you need either a microUSB to network solution, or solder on header pins and access it serially / via GPIO. (I guess you could go the Gadget approach, but that has its own overhead.) When you add in the accessories that are required to actually make the $5USD Zero functional you're very close to just moving up to the full models and those are in stock everywhere and in quantities now.
Account Inactive

W. H. Heydt

Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:41 am

SonOfAMotherlessGoat wrote:
GekkePrutser wrote:It's not really a $5 computer if you need to pay at least the same in shipping. It's an ideal product to buy in bulk.
It's also not really a $5USD computer if you need to access it in any way. Add mini-HDMI to HDMI via cable or adapter if you want to see anything, plus the keyboard/mouse. Or if you instead want to go headless, you need either a microUSB to network solution, or solder on header pins and access it serially / via GPIO. (I guess you could go the Gadget approach, but that has its own overhead.) When you add in the accessories that are required to actually make the $5USD Zero functional you're very close to just moving up to the full models and those are in stock everywhere and in quantities now.
Well....maybe. Some things that are needed to support a Pi Zero are also needed to support other models. The only support item unique to the Pi Zero is really an OTG cable, and that isn't needed for all uses. If you need header pins, then those have to be purchased, but ther eare some source that put that cost down at the noise level..that is, less than $0.25, which is hardly going to bump you to the cost of an A+. Eve if you go expensive (e.g. Adafruit) a 2x20 header is still less than $2.

I agree that whether or not a Pi Zero makes sense is very project (and person) dependent. I'm working on one that could be done with an A+, butI've chosen to do it with a Pi Zero. I would need a short USB cable (power), the battery, and the display either way. For the Pi Zero I'm adding the header and an OTG cable, so less than $4 additions with a Pi Zero that I wouldn't need for a $20 A+.

It doesn't hurt that, at the moment, Pi Zeros are actually easier to get than A+ boards.

Return to “General discussion”