mattmiller

PiBakery

Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:00 am

There's a fantastic piece of software out called PiBakery which makes it easy peazy to pre-stage a Raspbian SD card before putting it into your Pi

its all done using a block-based GUI

It is the proverbial spherical canine objects!

Ideal for use in taking a Pi somewhere other than home and being able to get it set up on a foreign network

So easy, even a young geeks parents could use it :)

This work (by 17yr old David Ferguson) should be warmly embraced and publicised by Raspberry Pi ASAP

http://pibakery.org/

scotty101

Re: PiBakery

Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:47 am

Looks like an excellent idea. I'll give it a try.
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

PiBakery

Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:04 am

Thank you for posting this - I hope you enjoy using PiBakery!

If you have any comments, feedback, ideas, etc, I'd be delighted to hear them (even the negative ones!). Leave a reply below or concact me on twitter @PiBakery

David Ferguson
PiBakery - The easiest way to setup a Raspberry Pi
www.PiBakery.org
@PiBakery

mikronauts

Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:40 pm

This looks like a nice project!

Two requests:

1) Linux support - I don't run MacOS, and I run Windows as little as possible :)

2) Source tarball generation - have Pi bakery generate a shell script that would download all the sources for the Raspbian configuration that it generates, and have the script generate a tarball of all the sources
PiBakery wrote:Thank you for posting this - I hope you enjoy using PiBakery!

If you have any comments, feedback, ideas, etc, I'd be delighted to hear them (even the negative ones!). Leave a reply below or concact me on twitter @PiBakery

David Ferguson
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

Martin Frezman

Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:17 pm

Has anyone been able to figure out how this PiBakery works - I mean, under the hood? I.e., from what I can tell, the operative trick is that it creates a shell script that gets (somehow) executed by Raspbian on first bootup.

Now, here's the thing. A large percentage of the posts on this forum are about this general class of problem - that is, they are some variation on "How do I preconfigure a Raspbian SD card?". And the answer (excluding PiBakery from the discussion for the moment) is "Drop a file in /boot with the appropriate filename and, possibly, contents" and it will happen. Obviously, this only works for a small subset of the possible things people might want to do, and many posters have argued for a more general "runme" kind of capability. That is, they would like to be able to put a file called, say, "runme.dh" in /boot and have that (shell script) be run automatically by Raspbian on first boot. Now, this hasn't happened, primarily because the powers that be either don't like the idea or don't want to have to work through all the implications such a feature might bring down upon them. They prefer to do it piecemeal, rather than provide a general hook. That's their call...

But, it seems that this is exactly what PiBakery does. Which means, as far as I can tell, that at least one of the following must be true:

1) That Mr. Ferguson has figure out a way to "hack" (and I mean that in the most positive and complimentary way) into the ext4 filesystem on the SD card of a freshly imaged Raspbian system and install a "runme" hook. This seems tricky but is, in general, doable. I've done similar types of hacking - where you figure out exactly where in an image a certain piece of information is stored and you (carefully!) over-write it. I have done this in other contexts, but not on the Raspbian image (yet).

2) That he has arranged with the Raspbian maintainers for the inserting of such a hook already (one otherwise not accessible to the general public).

3) Such a hook has always been there; it has just never been publicly documented.

I'd be really curious to know which of these it is. Furthermore, until this information is made public, I'd be leery of doing anything with PiBakery.
If this post appears in the wrong forums category, my apologies.

rpdom

Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:15 pm

Martin Frezman wrote:Has anyone been able to figure out how this PiBakery works
I've had a quick look at it, but my JS skills are not quite up to the task of working out how it does it on non-Linux systems.

The code is on github if you want a look.

procount

Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:51 pm

or 4) download a pre-patched Raspbian image with a new "hook" function in it to run the PiBakery scripts from the boot partition.
Would love to get this working with PINN when I have the time.
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

Martin Frezman

Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:16 pm

procount wrote:or 4) download a pre-patched Raspbian image with a new "hook" function in it to run the PiBakery scripts from the boot partition.
Would love to get this working with PINN when I have the time.
Depending on exactly what you mean (it is hardly clear), it is either 1, 2, or 3 on my list. Probably #2...
If this post appears in the wrong forums category, my apologies.

procount

Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:03 pm

PiBakery does a similar thing that my noobsconfig program does, which Meltwater extended into his pikitchen. It does it a lot better with a nice gui to create the scripts but essentially its the same in function.

The difference is where the scripts get put and how the initial hook function is injected.

Noobsconfig is executed within noobs or pinn so it is in a linux environment and can inject the scripts and hook function directly into the ext4 partition that has just been installed to the sdcard.

Pibakery runs on many OS to create the scripts and copies them to the sd card boot partition. It also copies an ext4 image of the OS.

It is not reasonable to think this ext4 image is patched by a single program in many OS. #3 would have been done already and #2 needs a lot of thought before it would be done. There's not many options left really.

It would be nice to integrate it with PINN because it could then open pibakery up to more OSes, not just Raspbian.
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

PiBakery

Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:36 am

I'm afraid I'm going to have to disappoint you all and say that PiBakery uses #4 (I pre-patch the image and PiBakery uses this instead of a vanilla Raspbian image).

You can have a look at davidferguson/pibakery-raspbian to see what files I add/modify to standard Raspbian.

It would be really nice to get PiBakery to work without a modified image, and I had a look at BytemarkHosting/pi-init2 which claims to do this, but I couldn't get it to work. If anyone has any thoughts, ideas or suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

David Ferguson
PiBakery - The easiest way to setup a Raspberry Pi
www.PiBakery.org
@PiBakery

Wrongway

Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:52 am

I have just installed Pi Bakery which certainly looks very impressive. As I have a couple of queries and this thread seemed about the best resource other than Twitter which I rarely use.

From what I read here the Raspbian image had to be pre-patched by David who I think must have other priorities at times. If this is the case then how up to date are the versions usually. The docs say that when Pi Bakery is run if there is a newer version of Raspbian then a download will be offered. I am presuming this is offering the patched version and not downloading the latest Raspbian image and patching on the fly.

I couldn't find an entry in Pi Bakery to enable ssh which is disabled by default now I believe. Have I missed it or are there plans to add this. I know a file called ssh created in the root of the boot partition achieves the same thing.

mattmiller

Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:23 pm

David invented PiBakery in the days when it was extremely hard to get a headless Pi up and running unless you had another computer that could read/write the ext4 file system

Nowadays, with the ability to add in a working wpa_supplicant file to get a Pi up and running on WiFI network - the need for PiBakery isn't as much as it used to be

And your right - it doesn't have a block to create the ssh file

David went off to University in September so that prob explains lack of activity on the project recently

RichardBronosky

Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:30 pm

PiBakery wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:36 am
It would be really nice to get PiBakery to work without a modified image, and I had a look at BytemarkHosting/pi-init2 which claims to do this, but I couldn't get it to work. If anyone has any thoughts, ideas or suggestions, I'd love to hear them!
Thank you for posting this lead. I can tell that you have been working on this for a long time. I had my first victory today! I'll update my fork of that project shortly.
-- Bruno Bronosky
1x RPi 1 (B)
1x RPi 1+ (B)
2x RPi 2
11x RPi 3
4x RPi Zero W
2x RPi camera module
3x AIY Voice kits
https://github.com/RichardBronosky/pi-gen-extender
https://github.com/RichardBronosky/raspbian-boot-setup

richardcgiroux

Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:13 pm

Hey everyone,

I found PiBakery and I just amazed by it. My issue is that I am trying to create custom blocks and I just can't seem to get it to work.

I am running version 1.0 and Ver 2.0 on both Windows and Linux.

I can create blocks but I cant them to appear in PiBakery. On the Windows side, when I try to drag the folder onto PiBakery, I get the "no drop" symbol and nothing happens.

On the Linux side, when I drop the Folder on the PiBakery, it goes blank but nothing happens.

I can create images with the existing blocks so the app is working.

Any help would be great!

Return to “Raspbian”