rubikwizard

Stella Atari Emulator in Jessie

Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:58 pm

Hi

I am unable to get the Stella emulator working in the new Jessie image. I installed it as I used to under Wheezy

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install stella
but it will not start. The window flickers a bit and then it closes.
It is possible to start it with

Code: Select all

stella -video software
but it is too slow to be of any use. After reading viewtopic.php?p=826344#p826344 I am guessing it is something to do with OpenGLES but I have no idea what to look at to try and get it working.

Thanks for any advice.

tvjon

Re: Stella Atari Emulator in Jessie

Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:03 am

This very helpful post from exobug:

viewtopic.php?f=67&t=122525

looks like it'll solve your problem.

I installed stella about an hour ago after reading your post, & had the same errors as you.

So, off to GitHub to get the Retropie setup.

Set the script going...

Rebooted to the console (not X) & now:

pi@j1 ~ $ stella -video opengles2

brings up the setup screen.

That's as far as I've reached, as my old ST is in the loft, & I'll need to work out how to get the ROM code before I can proceed, but you might like to try it as you obviously already have the necessary tools.

I briefly tried it under the GUI, but just an outline window appeared so presumably it's not meant to be used under X.

HTH.

rubikwizard

Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:18 pm

Thanks for this tvjon. I haven't had time to try it yet but will do over the next few days.
I briefly tried it under the GUI, but just an outline window appeared so presumably it's not meant to be used under X.
It always worked under the GUI in Wheezy ...

rubikwizard

Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:59 pm

Still haven't managed to get Stella working in Jessie like it did in Wheezy.

Any more ideas anyone?

Vanfanel

Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:06 am

rubikwizard wrote:Still haven't managed to get Stella working in Jessie like it did in Wheezy.

Any more ideas anyone?
Stop using standalone emulators and use their libretro ports instead.
For Stella: https://github.com/libretro/stella-libretro.git
You will get fullscreen emulation with perfectly synced audio and video, no tearing and you can even use shaders to simulate scanlines and other effects.

rubikwizard

Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:47 pm

I just installed the new version of Jessie and enabled the new OpenGL driver. I was pleased to see that Stella is now working again at full speed when in the default small window but if I go to full screen it is horrendously slow. OpenGL is selected in the settings.

Any ideas anyone?

DavidS

Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:49 pm

tvjon wrote:
That's as far as I've reached, as my old ST is in the loft, & I'll need to work out how to get the ROM code before I can proceed, but you might like to try it as you obviously already have the necessary tools.

HTH.
You could use EmuTOS to run it till you can get your ST hooked up. EmuTOS is an open source re-implementation of TOS built around the GPL'd source of DR-GEM with additions made for the GEMDOS and BIOS.
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

Return to “Gaming”