Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:29 pm

DougieLawson wrote:sudo apt-get install python{,3}-minecraftpi
That's the one, bang on it works fine now Dougie

Thanks a lot everyone! 8-)

greendogs

Re: Minecraft Pi installed, but no mcpi folder

Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:36 pm

Hello gman98,
I assume that you have the latest Rasbian image installed which is called Jessi.
In this case you have everything installed you need. There's absolute nothing to install extra to make it work.
But sometimes the wrong IDLE version opens and you can't get your scripts to run properly.
If you want to run OLD scripts (Python 2), open IDLE and run it.
If you want to run Python 3, make sure that you're using IDLE3.

gman98

Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:03 pm

Hi Greendogs

No I downloaded NOOBS to my SD card well over a year ago and have just used the update/upgrade method so probably don't have what you are referring to.

Looks good now after running sudo apt-get install python{,3}-minecraftpi I'll do more experimenting but the message appears as it should in Minecraft :)

Navyscourge

Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:43 pm

While I do understand people who are frustrated their Pi does not do what they expect, there are a few things to consider.

* Most of the responses to posts in this forum are done by volunteers, like me, although the Raspbery Pi Foundation (RPF) staff do keep a watch on it. Not many of the volunteers have time to check all the information on the RFP website over and over to check that it keeps working. I doubt that the staff have time too

* It is useful for us all that people who have problems with any exercise report them in this Forum. Hopefully we can help resolve those problems and check the exercises. We can report those issues if a mistake is found

* The RPF and this forum are not responsible for exercises posted elsewhere. We can help people who have problems with those, but there are lots and lots of those sites; the original writers of those sites are responsible for them and we cannot make corrections to them. If they are out of date, then we can only suggest that people don't use them, but people still do.

* There was recently an upgrade to Raspbian, forced upon us by changes elsewhere. There are lots of places that sell Pi stuff, including SD cards pre-installed with the software, and lots of people who had bought their Pis a long time ago. It seems that getting people to do the necessary upgrades is also proving difficult. We don't have several versions of each exercise, one for each possible version of the software, and it would be difficult for new users to work out which version they have.

* Things have changed a great deal since the first Pis were released; you really did need to be a competant linux user in those days. The RPF have done a lot to make it easy for people, young and older, to use the Pi. There is still a lot to do to provide guidance to those who have never used a computer before and it all takes a lot of time and effort.

Please be kind and understanding, I think everyone is doing their best. If anyone feels inclined to help, I am sure that will be appreciated a lot. Thanks

gman98

Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:50 am

Speaking as someone who used to own an Xbox Help website and forum for years I know where you are coming from Navy, most volunteer work goes unrewarded and can be a thankless task.

I certainly do appreciate everyone's help on here and will do in the future I'm sure as I'm literally just starting out with the PI. I got it back in March last year and to date have just used Scratch, well... my son has, but now I feel its time to move onto Python and he's mad on Minecraft it looked like a good way in. But like Adam I spent a few hours trying to get the basic's working with no joy, Kids want everything instant these days not like when I was growing up and had to endure sometimes hours of fiddling with the cassette deck to get my ZX Spectrum game loaded ;)

Anyway... no bother.. its fixed now and I've got myself a book to guide us on what else we can do, we'll be back on Minecraft PI this weekend for sure.

So... thanks again all, I know it's hard to cater for all...I really do!

fred bloggs

Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:01 pm

Just found this post!

Help - new to this and trying to get minecraft to work, I have just done the update thing again and I still cannot find it anywhere, I typed 'sudo apt-get update'
after that had done its thing typed 'sudo apt-get upgrade'

But I still cannot find minecraft!

I brought this Pi a couple of years ago (50year old electronics engineer by the way) but my eldest was not interested so it ended up in the junk box in the lab, youngest has just started high school and is struggling to understand logo etc (thinks its boring) so I thought that I would try this Pi thing again! as she likes playing on minecraft! I have spen the last couple of days trying to get my head round this linux stuff and I'm struggling, but I can get the windows type interface to work and have finally got it to work with a 15 inch vga flat screen.

Anyway enough whinging, why will the minecraft not appear when I do an update as its supposed to be embedded part of the last raspberrypi op system or am I wrong.

Many thanks

Fred

scotty101

Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:05 pm

Fred,

If you have the latest download of Raspbian Jessie, then Minecraft Pi and the mcpi API are already installed. Minecraft appears in the games section of the menu.
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

greendogs

Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:06 am

Fred,
turned out that upgrade will not give you the same as the latest downloaded Rasbian image called Jessie. "gman98" had the same problems. I don't think, it's a good idea to install only some Python libraries that are missing after the upgrade. Sooner or later you will get in trouble with other things too, and gives you only frustration!

Do yourself a favour, download the latest image and write it over the old installed image.

fred bloggs

Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:25 pm

Gents

Thanks for replying.

So you are saying that I should not just upgrade? but actually download the complete operating system!! :o are you saying that the upgrades don't work?

If so Help :oops: It has taken me several days over the Christmas break to get this far, please point me in the correct direction, in simple easy to understand language , we are not all modern computer experts only engineers LOL,

(Its funny that I can still remember how to use a Beeb and slap a load of machine code into it and get the blessed thing to drive the user port etc. Just to prove the point to myself I dragged one out over the hols and had it singing with 5 mins :D )

Best regards

Fred

greendogs

Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:48 pm

Fred, Fred, Fred ... don't feel old 8-)
I've been around in the IT field for about 20 years, yes, things have changed .. and I learn every day 2 new things ... and I'm still not afraid to get my hand on something new, play with it until it break :D and re-engineering it, make it better and have more fun with it.
So, there are other people here older than 14 years and I'm sure you have somewhere your inner-child that can help you play with the thing (Rasperry Pi) until it does what you say!
And you're right, to upgrade an one year old Raspbian image is not a good idea. The upgraded OS will work somehow but it will not have the same features than the latest image you can download right now.
This is what I recommend:Download the latest Rasbian image (RASPBIAN JESSIE) from here:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/
Follow the instruction from these sites:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... /README.md

Take your time, and we're still here to back you up :) if something goes wrong.

Navyscourge

Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:20 pm

So the upgrade page here (https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... pdating.md) is incomplete?

It does say that this does not install new packages. Is there a list of these? What about that old concept of "release notes" for new releases?

It should be easy enough to take each release, load it on an SD card, then list all installed packages to a text file. Then, compare one package list with the previous package list - the differences are the packages that need to be added (and deleted, if applicable). Does anyone know if older releases of Raspbian are publicly available anywhere?

DougieLawson

Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:41 pm

You can upgrade it will take you about a week to install it and fix all the quirks and niggles and get a stable system. Or you can download and write Jessie to a fresh SDCard in less than an hour (including the trip to the shops to buy a new card).

I know which option I'd choose if I were you.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

gman98

Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:31 pm

Quick question on Jessie, is it now part of NOOBS? If I downloaded the latest NOOBS is there an option (or the only option) to install Jessie?

fruitoftheloom

Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:37 pm

gman98 wrote:Quick question on Jessie, is it now part of NOOBS? If I downloaded the latest NOOBS is there an option (or the only option) to install Jessie?
Has been the only Raspbian option since September........ :shock:
Retired disgracefully.....

gman98

Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:01 pm

Cheers that's all I needed to know.. I fancy getting an additional PI - the Quad Core one so I'll start from scratch on the new one using NOOBS with Jessie

fred bloggs

Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:28 am

All

Thanks for your answers, - One more set of questions I hope!!

So I need to get a SD card and install via the Noobs area on this site, and the operating system I want is Jesse
I only ask about op systems as there seems to be many different versions of Linux/operating systems on this site (Wheezy for one :D )
This is all very confusing as the RaspPi I've got does say what operating system its got , Is the command line Unix (called bash ) and when you type 'startx' is this GUI Linux or just an add one called Raspberrian or what ever

Will I need to install some sort of disk image software as I only have windows xp and 7 machines at home.
(other than Beebs, mk14, zx80/81 etc :lol: ) Wifey keeps complaining I'm a hoarder, :D

Before anyone says anything I did buy a magazine book in 2013 but who ever had wrote it was obviously very knowledgeable about Unix etc but not what I would call a technical author, as it jumped all over the place and to be honest a lot of this stuff on the raspberry pi website is like that, I fully understand that this forum is manned by volunteers but surely the foundation must pay for fully time support if this is getting this big.

Best Regards

Fred

gman98

Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:09 pm

Noobs is very easy to use and there's full instructions for adding it to a card using Windows. Once the bootloader comes up tick Jessie and let it do its thing

Jessie now boots to a GUI automatically

fred bloggs

Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:17 am

Gman98

Many thanks, a nice and simple instruction, I will get a new SD card from Maplins this afternoon and try tonight when I get home.

Best regards

Fred

DougieLawson

Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:30 pm

fred bloggs wrote: Many thanks, a nice and simple instruction, I will get a new SD card from Maplins this afternoon and try tonight when I get home.
They're cheaper in Tesco, Sainsburys, Morrisons or ASDA's.
They're even cheaper from http://ebuyer.com
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Zalkiaent

Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:30 pm

AdamMercado wrote:
B.Goode wrote:I think you might be following an outdated tutorial.

Try this one: https://www.raspberrypi.org/learning/ge ... ecraft-pi/

(There will not be an mcpi folder in your home directory unless you choose to create one. If you are able to run and interact with MineCraft then it is clearly installed.)

Thanks for the reply. That is exactly the tutorial I was following. I entered the first line of code and got an error. I'm not near the Pi now so I can't check the exact verbiage of the error. I did some reading trying to find a solution and came across the 'stuffaboutcode' website. There I read that there should be an mcpi folder and I needed to copy some files from it.

Now I'm really stumped
I feel you pain, man.
I've got the same problem...

Return to “Gaming”