ProDigit

What is your main purpose of the PI?

Tue May 26, 2015 11:54 pm

I've read users using the PI to learn about hardware, or power a 3d plastic printer,
Others use it as a machine to do coding on, or as a home theater to play back their videos.

I can imagine the Pi boring the gamer community due to it's limited performance, but nevertheless, they seem to be quite capable devices to keep young kids at bay in front of their television, or paired with a tiny projector.

The Raspberry Pie would have been an amazing invention in the early days of the internet to run 24/7 a personal or small business internet web page from.

With a tiny LCD plug-on screen, I myself was thinking of using it as a bittorrent client.

What are your plans

kusti8

Re: What is your main purpose of the PI?

Wed May 27, 2015 12:16 am

Well, my main pi is for all kinds of development. Simple language learning to huge projects. It varies, and I haven't had any recent projects since it broke and I'm waiting for its replacement to come. My other pi I'm planning to use as an entertainment system for my mom's car, which only has a simple radio. I already have a media center computer, already have a NAS, don't really emulate games much and am not in need of a website, so I usually find something that I really like, or look around the Web and build around that.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Tom_A

Wed May 27, 2015 2:02 am

I have a few set up as media servers. One also runs cups print server so I can print from my phone without buying new printers. I also run forked-daapd on the media servers as this lets me airplay music throughout the house. When I was running the B model, I had one set up as a web server, but found that it was a bit slow, especially since I was trying to also run everything else as well at the same time. I bought a Next Unit of Computing to run the web server, but the Pi was a great help in initially getting the web server running. When I switched over to the B2 models, I reinstalled a web server on one but it is just used as a private web server for Wake On Lan, and turning on and viewing motion web cam also running on it.

I have one that I have just set up that is going to be mostly for travel so I don't need to take my laptop on trips and worry about it. I have configured it so that I can connect my iPhone and copy photos and videos off it that can then be previewed. I'm also hoping to somehow use it to copy GoPro videos on to the phone, but will see how that works out. I've gotten videos off the phone, but don't know how copying videos the other way would work. I'm at least hoping that the USB wifi I bought works faster than the GoPro's built in wifi which has proven to be too slow for transferring videos.

adlambert

Wed May 27, 2015 10:24 am

I have one aincient Model B (256MB RAM) that runs 24x7 controlling a cryptocoin mining ASIC.

I have two recent Pi 2 Bs that I play with and mess about different things just for fun, whatever takes my fancy. Once it's done I dismantle/wipe everything and start on the next thing.

I have about 12 other Pis, all older ones that have been superseded by the later ones. Every time a new update appeared I bought new ones (512MB, B+, A+ etc). They all sleep in a drawer now.

Waiting for the Pi screens to appear.

henryhanselscott

Wed May 27, 2015 10:38 am

Rapid prototyping of new product ideas.

Heater

Wed May 27, 2015 10:43 am

Two B's, a B+ and a 2B here.

Mostly they get used for trying out all kinds of cranky software ideas from time to time. For example, how do you download program binaries into a Propeller micro-controller from a Pi?

One has a camera module. It's the best camera I have in the house.

My next project will probably be getting them all running https://resin.io, just to see how it goes.

None of them has ever made it into part a finished project or permanent installation for any particular function. It's not their fault, that is normal for most of my hobby tinkerings.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

JanJanowski

Wed May 27, 2015 11:46 am

I needed to create a time server to support multiple video cameras feeding a NAS, so that all would have identical timestamps.
IT fellow at work suggested Pi... I bought a B+, and a plug in battery backed up clock, and he helped me set it up.... and it works!!!

solar3000

Wed May 27, 2015 1:50 pm

I can't count my pis anymore. Probably 20 pis by now.
I have them as a desktop, file server, LED clock, electronics experimentation, video players.
Even my kids each have one.
Antikythera

Lob0426

Wed May 27, 2015 4:44 pm

1. 24/7 low power web server. 256MB Model B
2. Motorola Lapdock. RPi 2B
3. Wireless network access to Printrbot Simple Metal 3D printer. RPi 2B
4. Wireless network access to Printrbot Simple Maker 3D printer RPi 2B
5. Prototyping board with breadboards. RPi B+.
6. 4 port hub integrated into casing, old server. RPi Model B 256 MB.
7. RasPi-Wallet project, most conn. Removed, stalled until winter. RPi A+.
8. Second RasPi-Wallet board to work on software. RPi A+.
9. Network Camera board. RPi B+.
10. Media player, KODI. RPi Model B 512MB.

A B Model that the processor has a ball grid problem.

Take my advice, stay away from RasPi. They are too addicting. I think they breed at night!

Richard
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

Speedwell68

Wed May 27, 2015 6:02 pm

3 Model Bs and a 2. I use them all as media centres, quite boring I know. But to get them right is a lot of work. The RPI 2 is in the main living room. I have hooked up an Ambilight using Hyperion, overclocked it and load Kodi from a 160GB HDD I got from an old laptop which offers plenty of space for caching video streams. The 3 model Bs are in each bedroom and also have external laptop drives for the same reason. I have also used an old Acer Revo R3600 that I use as a media server. I have simply installed Lubuntu on it setup some NFS shares on large external drives and used the internal drive for music and added a MySQL database. I also have Kodi on my linux PCs and Android tablets so we can watch or listen to music anywhere in the house.

elatllat

Wed May 27, 2015 7:41 pm

All my raspberrypis are waiting to be replaced by cheaper more powerful alternatives that if named would get this post deleted my a mod.
SBC with 32GB RAM: https://hardkernel.com

FAQ : https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com

Unanswered: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/search.php?search_id=unanswered

Heater

Wed May 27, 2015 8:22 pm

And they in turn will wait to be replaced with cheaper and more powerful alternatives. Such is the nature of technological progress ever since I have been alive at least.

Do you ever get to to do anything with those devices that are waiting to be replaced?
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

Tom_A

Wed May 27, 2015 9:53 pm

That is, until they form "Pi Net", fashion themselves into evil robots and travel back in time to kill Sarah Connor.

metalj

Wed May 27, 2015 10:25 pm

I do mostly programming. Pay some bills. Interested in getting a second to use as a server.
Backspace 28 times :)

W. H. Heydt

Wed May 27, 2015 10:31 pm

elatllat wrote:All my raspberrypis are waiting to be replaced by cheaper more powerful alternatives that if named would get this post deleted my a mod.
IF it's the one I think it is, you won't see it for another year. Why not use the Pis in the mean time?

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Wed May 27, 2015 10:39 pm

For me, it was a learning playground. It continues to serve as one but now also pays the bills. The next project is seeing what I can do with a pi and a C64.

ShiftPlusOne
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Wed May 27, 2015 10:58 pm

bertwert wrote:
elatllat wrote:All my raspberrypis are waiting to be replaced by cheaper more powerful alternatives that if named would get this post deleted my a mod.
Is it that C.H.I.P. thing?
viewtopic.php?f=62&t=109844
Doubt it, since it's neither cheaper nor more powerful. He's probably talking (or rather not talking) about the C1. I don't think I've heard much about the C1 since the initial hype.

Anyway, discussion of other SBCs wouldn't deleted simply because another SBC is mentioned (two have been mentioned already). It will be deleted because it's off-topic.

TideMan

Wed May 27, 2015 11:18 pm

1. B: web server featuring various PHP pages with Fortran engines (e.g., tide forecasting)
2. B: camera module
3. B: weather station running pywws
4. RPi 2: Testing replacement of Matlab on Win 7 by Octave on RPi2 - everything transfers OK so far, graphics a bit slower.
If you wish in this world to advance, your merits you're bound to enhance.
You must stir it and stump it and blow your own trumpet, or trust me you haven't a chance.
Ruddigore, G&S

solar3000

Thu May 28, 2015 1:17 pm

All my raspberrypis are waiting to be replaced by:
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/work ... ation.html
Antikythera

gkreidl

Thu May 28, 2015 2:05 pm

So you don't have any use for them at all --- and I suppose the same will happen, if you get those "cheaper more powerful alternatives", because then you'll wait for the next generation of "cheaper more powerful alternatives".
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

ProDigit

Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:58 am

I suppose it will work well as a basic browser? Browsing through hotmail (or other email), facebook, reading up on the news, blogs, forums, downloading software, video's or other data, online banking, youtube...?

How is the included browser functioning on those websites?
Seeing that most browsers use about a gig on ram, I'd suppose that the included browser is trimmed down a bit?

metalj

Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:07 am

The browser crashes but my laptop after 3 years of use refused to go on the internet at all. The browser displays a more mobile version of a website but they've been cracking down on websites to be mobile compliant so a lot of stuff works.
Backspace 28 times :)

ProDigit

Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:17 am

I'm thinking of writing some good old music on the PI, with a music tracker program, if it works on that...

Return to “General discussion”