Temp Demp

Start and Stop Raspberry Pi 3

Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:19 am

How do I start the Raspberry Pi 3 after shutting down? Do I need to disconnect the power supply after shut down and reconnect the power supply again? That is what I have been doing.

OR should I leave the Raspbian or Openelec applications on all the time?
What would be recommended as a good practice?

Expert guidance would be deeply appreciated.

klricks

Re: Start and Stop Raspberry Pi 3

Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:18 pm

Temp Demp wrote:How do I start the Raspberry Pi 3 after shutting down? Do I need to disconnect the power supply after shut down and reconnect the power supply again? That is what I have been doing.

OR should I leave the Raspbian or Openelec applications on all the time?
What would be recommended as a good practice?

Expert guidance would be deeply appreciated.
Yes you need to remove power and restore in order to restart. You could use a power strip and use the switch on that.
Another option is to connect a momentary type switch to the RUN connection on the RPi board. You would need to solder wires or pins to the 2 RUN connections.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

davidcoton

Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:09 pm

Best practice is to remove the mains supply to the PSU after shutting down, and reconnect it to restart the Pi. This is both the lowest power option and the safest -- though I don't think the risks of leaving power connected are significant. If you choose to leave power connected, you certainly want a pushbutton on the RUN pins to restart -- it's a bit silly to leave power on while the Pi is off, only to unplug and reconnect to restart!
Last edited by davidcoton on Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Signature retired

LetHopeItsSnowing

Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:20 pm

All good advice.

I would take a simpler approach though and just leave it on all the time! The Pi uses very little power (even less so when idle) and it really isnt going to hurt it. I have Pi's which have been permanently on July 2012.
"am I getting slower, or is stuff more complicated; either way I now have to write it down - stuffaboutcode.com"

Temp Demp

Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:05 am

Many Thanks for your help.

Have decided to just leave it on !!

Temp Demp

Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:05 am

Many Thanks for your help.

Have decided to just leave it on !!

bensimmo

Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:43 pm

A quick take on this

Powering a Pi say it uses 750mA @ 5V = 3.75W (My Pi2 runs a GPS, and SenseHAT and Camera and WiFi, taking pictures and GPS data every second writing to SD and taking data from the SenseHat as fast as it can, and writes when it has 100 data point (which is pretty quickly and runs easily from a 1A/5V USB Power bank.
Now that's converted from 230V so some power must be lost, let's call it 5W used (as it's an easy number :D)

So at 5W for 24 hours using an average UK Electricity cost (15.5p/kWh Sept2015) = 1.86p per day
So for a year £6.80

Now electricity is cheaper now, even on a standard tariff now.

750mA is just a guess (I only know an A+ with SenseHat and GPS and WiFi was about a third of that iirc.)

I will measure it and measure at the plug too, with the official Pi3 power supply if waned or curiosity gets the better of me.

But I will say in the many 'yank the cable out of the Pi's' the kids/pupils have done there has never been a problem.
Now a nice button to turn it on and 'shut down' would be a good idea here, just because you know there will be a problem and a grumpy child involved, but honestly the Pi's (B+/A+/B2/B3/Zero we have don't seem to mind.)

broe23

Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:35 am

They make an inline switch for the USB plug, which fits between the power cord/USB cord and the power inlet of The pi.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good.

Return to “General discussion”